• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: CaliPoutine - Diversity and Deviled Eggs.

Hey Randi,

I was wondering - is there much available up there in the way of hormone-free/anitibiotic free/free range/natural, etc. etc. meats? I haven't seen mention of it on any of the packaging, and it's such a huge thing here now, that I can't help but be curious. Also, is organic and trans fats free becoming a big thing?

That donut store looks amazing - Michael always stops for donuts for us on Saturday mornings after his run. I'm a huge sucker for 'em - the cake kind, though - not the yeast kind.

Danielle

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

For the middle of nowhere you have access to some really nice grocers! (envy...)

Thanks for a great blog though, I haven't had a lot of time to post but I have been happily reading along.

I am REALLY digging the flour mills. I'm such a baking nerd at this point just looking at that photo is really killing me :smile:

Yeah, I didn't realize just how active an agricultural region the southern part of Ontario was. I get the impression that London is a city of some size, too, is that right?

Michael aka "Pan"

Something I dont want to forget to talk about.

Good thing we dont get QVC in Canada. I turned on the tv when we were in Florida and they were showing these as a today's special value. You can find them here.

gallery_25969_665_286027.jpg

They work fantastic. I cant recommend them enough. I hate throwing out produce, and I havent had to in over a week. My italian parsley and arugula and salad mix still look and taste great.

Yeah, I didn't realize just how active an agricultural region the southern part of Ontario was. I get the impression that London is a city of some size, too, is that right?

I think there are about 300, 000 in London. I came from Long Beach( pop: 900, 000+). London seems small to me :biggrin:

I kept meaning to talk about this too.

This is one of my favorite comfort foods. My mom used to serve it to us growing up. I call it noodles and cheese, but the cheese in this is cottage cheese. It always consists of egg noodles. I use no yolks, MI cottage cheese and a dash of light sour cream. Salt and pepper. I cool the noodles off with cold water, then let them drain in the colander. I mix up the cheese/sourcream and mix it with the noodles. Yummy. Robin doesnt like it. Id eat this on a night Robin wanted wings(frozen)

gallery_28661_3_17214.jpg

My sister( in Florida) gave me a load of blintzes to bring home. I stuffed them in Robin's carry on with ice packs. I havent had any yet, I kept meaning to for the blog, but there was so much food and so little time.

Hey Randi,

I was wondering - is there much available up there in the way of hormone-free/anitibiotic free/free range/natural, etc. etc. meats? I haven't seen mention of it on any of the packaging, and it's such a huge thing here now, that I can't help but be curious. Also, is organic and trans fats free becoming a big thing?

Danielle

The big grocery store has a lot of organic products. I havent seen much free-range stuff in the grocery stores, but I wonder if the chicken farmers around here do that. I'll have to check that out.

This is one of my favorite comfort foods.  My mom used to serve it to us growing up.  I call it noodles and cheese, but the cheese in this is cottage cheese. 

Cottage cheese and noodles!!! My FAVORITE comfort food from childhood. We do egg noodles, butter, cottage cheese, salt and lots of freshly ground pepper. This is always the first meal Dylie and I eat whenever Michael goes away on a biz trip. Before Dylan I used to eat it in bed. Now I need to set a better example. :biggrin:

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

My spices, vinegars, oils and microwave.

gallery_28661_3_23926.jpg

A sweet selection from Culbert's( bought before the blog started last Saturday)

From the top. Date square, peanut butter, maple fruit(surprisingly very good), rasberry square, white almond drop and coconut cookie. All the bars were 45 cents each.

gallery_25969_665_27434.jpg

Robin munching on her wings the other night.

gallery_31539_1218_145773.jpg

edited because i added the wrong picture.

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

This is one of my favorite comfort foods.  My mom used to serve it to us growing up.  I call it noodles and cheese, but the cheese in this is cottage cheese.  It always consists of egg noodles.  I use no yolks, MI cottage cheese and a dash of light sour cream.  Salt and pepper.  I cool the noodles off with cold water, then let them drain in the colander.  I mix up the cheese/sourcream and mix it with the noodles.  Yummy.  Robin doesnt like it.  Id eat this on a night Robin wanted wings(frozen)

The Lazy-person's kugel. I grew up on this too.

What kind of blintzes did you say you had? :wub:

This is one of my favorite comfort foods.  My mom used to serve it to us growing up.  I call it noodles and cheese, but the cheese in this is cottage cheese.  It always consists of egg noodles.  I use no yolks, MI cottage cheese and a dash of light sour cream.  Salt and pepper.  I cool the noodles off with cold water, then let them drain in the colander.  I mix up the cheese/sourcream and mix it with the noodles.  Yummy.  Robin doesnt like it.  Id eat this on a night Robin wanted wings(frozen)

The Lazy-person's kugel. I grew up on this too.

What kind of blintzes did you say you had? :wub:

I didnt try them yet, but my mom made potato/spinach and cherry cheese. I'll be eating some this week because Im honestly "cooked out".

A huge pet peeve of mine. The way the butter is packaged in Onatrio. You can get sticks, but they are 2 bucks more expensive.

gallery_28661_3_122967.jpg

Usually, when I get this home, I cut it into 4 half cups. There are markings on the butter for 2 1/2 cup portions and then a 1 cup portion. I kinda wing the other 2 half cups. Its hard when I want a tbls or two.

I was so thrilled when I found this the other day in Stratford. I want to photocopy it and laminate it and give it to everyone I know.

gallery_25969_665_780705.jpg

Thank you SO MUCH for visiting the flour mill and posting photos! I love seeing examples of old technology still cranking away, doing what it was intended to do and doing it well. As long as they can keep the machinery running and there's water, they'll never want for power. Wonderful.

That butter ruler rocks! It isn't much of an issue for me, since I usually get the sticks, but the Plugra and Kerry Gold I splurge on come in those funny flat 1/2-lb bricks. It does make for difficult measurement.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

American recipes that called for "sticks" of butter irritated the hell out of me when I first started cooking. I'd never seen that, so it was like German recipes calling for "one envelope" of vanilla sugar. Fortunately, I had German friends who'd lived in the US, so they were able to clear up both mysteries for me.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

In the UK all the butter comes in 250g flat bars - for American recipes I weigh the amounts - i.e. 4 ounces per stick, 8 tablespoons per stick, so each tablepoon is 1/2 ounce... and so on...

Funny to read about "splurging" on Kerry Gold! Here it's not expensive at all.

:wink:

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

I've had my butter ruler for about 5 years now. I thought it was the greatest thing when I saw it since back then there was only one store that carried the sticks of butter-now all the stores seem to have them(and president's choice makes them too).

Enjoying your blog-nice to see the local stores.

Did you use your rhubarb? I made some rhubarb ginger jam yesterday that was really tasty.

Sandra

I've had my butter ruler for about 5 years now.  I thought it was the greatest thing when I saw it since back then there was only one store that carried the sticks of butter-now all the stores seem to have them(and president's choice makes them too).

Enjoying your blog-nice to see the local stores.

Did you use your rhubarb?  I made some rhubarb ginger jam yesterday that was really tasty.

Sandra

Hi Sandra,

I actually cut up the rhubarb and froze it. I'd love your recipe if you care to share.

Thanks

Randi, you're fast becoming my tour guide. At what store in Stratford did you find that butter ruler? And where exactly is the flour mill? Do you know if the mill store is open on Sundays?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Randi, you're fast becoming my tour guide. At what store in Stratford did you find that butter ruler? And where exactly is the flour mill? Do you know if the mill store is open on Sundays?

Alex,

I bought the butter ruler at that cookbook store( name escapes me now as I ran in and out of there to take pictures).

The mill is open on Sunday from noon-5pm.

Are you coming to Ontario?

Good morning everyone,

Well, my time writing in this foodblog is coming to a close. It's been quite an experience. Writing this week has made me appreciate the food blogs even more. I had a lot of time to write and I couldnt even imagine writing while working full-time and/or preparing a humongous passover feast. :biggrin:

Breakfast this morning:

gallery_25969_665_531916.jpg

I also had a glass of skim milk and some fresh blackberries.

Tonights dinner will be rather boring. Santa Fe Turkey burgers from Whole Foods, asparagus and baked idaho potatoes. I needed something easy because Im joining Robin tonight at the gym.

Great job Randi.

Thanks for letting us into your world for a week.

I have never been to that part of Canada, so it was interesting to see what is available in your neck of the woods. For a town of 10,000, you certainly have more to offer food-wise than what was and is available in my hometown in Alabama, population 36,000.

I have finally decided to volunteer to do a blog sometime in the future. I hope it will be as interesting as everyone elses.

Great job Randi.

Thanks for letting us into your world for a week.

I have never been to that part of Canada, so it was interesting to see what is available in your neck of the woods. For a town of 10,000, you certainly have more to offer food-wise than what was and is available in my hometown in Alabama, population 36,000.

I have finally decided to volunteer to do a blog sometime in the future. I hope it will be as interesting as everyone elses.

Thanks Michelle,

I wish there were 10,000 people here in Exeter( although, that would probably be a bit crowded). The population of Exeter is 4,400. The nearest largest city is London with a population of about 300,000.

Looking forward to your blog!!

Great blog, Randi. Thanks for the insights into your area. I think I need to make a road trip to that mill!! If I do, I'll drop off some San Marzano tomatos on the way!! cheers.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.