• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: CaliPoutine - Diversity and Deviled Eggs.

Hi Cali!

Exeter eh? My Mom grew up in the next town (well village really) Crediton. She went to highschool in Exeter.

I am in London now, do you ever come down to the market here? We have found some pretty good places to eat in town too.

I love seeing my neck of the woods from another perspective.

Hi,

Yes, I've been to the Covent Garden Market a number of times. I think we're going there on Saturday. We're going out too dinner too, Bertoldi's on Richmond. Have you tried that? The food is very good and reasonably priced.

I have never been to Bertoldi's but have always wanted to. Cafe One on Richmond is good for lunches.

The budget only streches so far. So we try and eat on the cheap.

But you need to make butter tarts this week. Just because.

I like the market but find it very expensive. It's a treat to go but we don't buy much. Mostly cheese.

Citrus fruit is always the issue for us on the West Coast ... big signs posted at each border crossing.  And it's always going into the USA that we're asked if we're bringing in anything.  I suppose that's because Canada doesn't have much in the way of citrus farmers.

Umm... my question is: what difference does it make if I'm bringing citrus into the US... since it usually comes from there anyway? Is it just in Manitoba that the citrus is mostly from calif. or florida?

California is so concerned about the spread of the Mediterranean Fruit Fly (among other pests) that you aren't even supposed to bring citrus in from other states, or in some cases between counties. I was told by a Los Angeles-area airport luggage inspector that it wasn't even okay to bring fruit from the Central Valley, a couple of hundred miles north, into the L.A. Basin. That last is impossible to enforce, of course, since there aren't any border crossings between counties. I can't remember whether Arizona has the same sort of restrictions coming into their state. From what I can tell, the U.S. Department of Agriculture applies the same level of protection to all U.S. borders on the assumption that the fruit may go anywhere in the country once it's inside. As for the source of the citrus, Manitoba may be a rare case. Australia and some South American countries are giving the U.S. citrus growers stiff competition now, and their fruit may (I don't know) be the source of other citrus found in Canada.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Citrus fruit is always the issue for us on the West Coast ... big signs posted at each border crossing.  And it's always going into the USA that we're asked if we're bringing in anything.  I suppose that's because Canada doesn't have much in the way of citrus farmers.

Umm... my question is: what difference does it make if I'm bringing citrus into the US... since it usually comes from there anyway? Is it just in Manitoba that the citrus is mostly from calif. or florida?

That last is impossible to enforce, of course, since there aren't any border crossings between counties. I can't remember whether Arizona has the same sort of restrictions coming into their state.

I was in California in March and I drove to Phoenix. There was a agricultural insection station right after I crossed into AZ, but it was unmanned.

The Banana bars are ready. I altered the recipe somewhat by adding cinnamon and some banana liquor. I also made my own cream cheese frosting. I folded some creamy peanut butter into the frosting as both Robin and I really love peanut butter, especially with bananas.

gallery_25969_665_598308.jpg

gallery_25969_665_532575.jpg

I'll show you the inside after dinner :smile: This recipe is almost exactly the same as the recipe in the Banana cake thread

Now, off to make the trout and accompaniments.

edited to add links

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

I love seeing my neck of the woods from another perspective.

It is fun - the everyday stuff in my fridge suddenly seems more exotic and interesting now that I'm seeing it in the foodblog :biggrin:

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

Dinner was good. I broiled the rainbow trout after sprinkling with some trader joes seafood grill and broil spice blend. I topped with some sliced lemons and a splash of white wine. I made a box of Near East sundried tomatoe/lentil cous cous(1.50US). I steamed the brocolli( organic .99us on sale), seasoned with EVOO, kosher salt, pepper and reggiano. A simple meal but very tasty.

I also made a shortcut salad. A bagged organic mix(2.50US on sale), half a seeded english cuke(.99CAD) and always some croutons. To me, a salad isnt a salad without some croutons. We used Ken's steakhouse light peppercorn ranch.

but dont fret, tomorrows dinner features a homeade dressing!!!

gallery_31539_1218_55322.jpg

gallery_31539_1218_474851.jpg

Now a funny story about dessert. I grew up waiting about an hour after dinner before we had dessert. When I moved here, I was surprised to see the table being cleared as soon as everyone finished and the dessert being brought out. It's still hard for me to eat dessert right away. I like to give myself a little break to clear the table and put stuff away. Luckily, I dont have to do any dishes :biggrin: I cook, Robin cleans!!

However, in order to get the pictures tonight, I made a sacrifice and cut the cake early. It was yummy.

gallery_31539_1218_61309.jpg

and here's the pudding before baking and before I generously sprinkled with cinnamon. I pretty much stuck to the original recipe, except I added more vanilla, some golden raisins and cinnamon.

Oh, and I dont know whats wrong with me. I grabbed the Seafood Grill and Broil and started to shake that on first. Luckily, I caught it on time and was able to spoon off the noodles that had the spice on them.

gallery_25969_665_318587.jpg

Isn't it funny how the mind works?  I've come to realize that this ole brain of mine has the ability to absolutely ignore or disregard information that would obviously be in my best interest.  Having been a smoker for 24 years and recently quitting for good (it's been 6 weeks) provides an excellent example of what I am referring to.  I knew all of the health risks associated with smoking but still did it.  The same sort of disregard happens when it comes to food, or probably better stated as food habits.

Congratulations on becoming a non-smoker! Does food taste any different to you now? Has quitting smoking changed your eating habits?

Thanks Alex...it's been quite a battle but I am confident in myself this quit. Never again!!! Oh sure the food tastes different, full of flavour, and with Poutine keeping me fed I say bring it on. So that speaks to my eating habits....bring it on and on and on and on. You know they say you are to expect to gain 10 to 20 pounds when you quit, at least I'm doing so with some damn good food. *smile*

I just discovered this blog and am glad to see you doing it.

Also, I want to extend my congrats on your marriage. The first same-sex couple in your county or country to tie the knot? Whichever... cool! Best wishes to you, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the blog.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I just discovered this blog and am glad to see you doing it.

Also, I want to extend my congrats on your marriage.  The first same-sex couple in your county or country to tie the knot?  Whichever... cool!  Best wishes to you, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the blog.

Indeed. It's great to be a part of history, but greater to find one's true love and be able to share one's life with them.

Robin, I love your attitude about gaining weight in style. :cool: Bon courage [obligatory French reference for a Canada-based blog] on staying off the cigarettes!

Michael aka "Pan"

I can't wait to see the baked picture - I hope there are lots of crunchy bits!

Do you always do your cheese kugels with sweet stuff? We keep it seperate around here .... what other kinds do you like? (My favorite is mushroom and onion).

Robin - Do you enjoy the traditional Jewish stuff too?

I've never had a savory kugel.  My mom never made one and neither have I.  I'm intrigued though, can you share your favorite recipe?

Oy! I am happy to share - but I have no quantities :hmmm: - I always do it to taste.

Medium or broad egg noodles (about a lb.?) -cooked

Yellow/red/white onion (1 really large or 2 small-medium)- peeled and chopped (1/4" - 1/2" cubes)

button mushrooms (or crimini, or both) (at least a lb.) - sliced thin

olive oil

salt (kosher or whatever you got)

fresh ground black pepper

2 eggs

flour

Saute the onions (with salt and pepper) in oil until brown - no need to 'confit' them, but get some color on them.

Saute the mushrooms in olive oil with s&p - they should give off all of their juices and continue to cook until all of the liquid has evaporated.

Cool.

In a mixing bowl, combine noodles, cooled onions and mushrooms. If you have some brisket juice or juice from a roasted chicken or some soup, throw that in - not too much (1/4 cup reduced) - just enough to add some flavour.

TASTE. Make sure it's well seasoned. The noodles will absorb the salt and pepper as it bakes - so don't underseason!

Add the eggs and some flour.... how much flour? enough flour to bind everything ... a few Tbsps.

Pour into well greased baking dish and bake at 350-375 until golden brown and crispy - then carefully pull off any really crispy stray bits and enjoy in the kitchen before serving.

Good Morning fellow foodies,

The boys and I are back from the gym. :smile: Another thing I like about living here is a feeling of security. I can take the boys with me, leave them in the car and not worry about someone stealing them.

However, one thing I dont think I'll ever get used to is the weather. On Monday I was wearing shorts and today I'm wearing a sweatshirt. Almost makes me wish I drank hot beverages. It's chilly outside!!

Time for breakfast:

I was famished and I knew this was waiting for me.

gallery_31539_1218_105800.jpg

It came out really well. The recipe is pretty basic. Boil the noodles, drain. I mix everything up in the pot and then add the noodles back in. Pour into a greased

9 x 13 and bake. I can post the recipe if anyone is interested.

Before I left for the gym, I made Robin lunch. A variation on Tuesday's lunch in that I added some perfectly ripe Avocado, I used a different mustard( hickory farms sweet-hot) and some of the salad blend from last night. Btw, I froze the rest of the avocado after squirting them with lime juice. They defrost really well.

gallery_31539_1218_418626.jpg

I'm off to Stratford today for an appointment. I'll be eating out lunch there and I'm excited. I love trying new places. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures. We just got a new camera ( Canon A510) and I havent quite figured it out yet. One thing is for sure, my food tastes good, but I wouldnt win any awards for my photography.

Speaking of awards..........

Last September, I entered a few things in our towns County Fair. I won 1st prize for my Chocolate cake, 2nd prize for my peach jam and 3rd prize for my carrot cake( which would have won first, but they didnt like the orange flavor in the icing).

I'll dig up the picture of the cake and post it later.

Tonights dinner:

I'm a bit perturbed because I thought I had boneless, skinless, breasts in the freezer. I searched high and low this morning and I cant find them. Sooooo, I have to buy some this afternoon. I'm making chicken milanese.

This morning, while on the elliptical trainer I was thinking about the items I always keep in my fridge. I always have a hunk of reggiano, assorted mustards and non-fat milk.

What do you always have?

Heck, Exeter is Bright Lights, Big City compared to Glencoe, down the road from you, where my father grew up! And you know, I remember some of the best meals I've ever eaten coming from my Grandmother's Southwestern Ontario kitchen.

I'll bet I know your father, or his family, as I grew up in Alvinston, and remember lots of great church suppers in Kilmartin. My dad was a large animal vet, and knew everyone from Inwood to Appin...

Hello,

The eggs were actually cheaper today.  There was another sign off on the side that said the eggs were 1 dollar a dozen.  I asked the farmer why and he said because they come from pullets( I have no idea what a pullet is) and consequently they are smaller.

A pullet is a very young bird, just starting to lay eggs. The eggs are small, and double yolks are more common. They really are a treat, but they won't be available for very long.

By the way, this should be the right time of year for fresh smelts and pickerel in SW Ont.

When I was a boy, we would buy the fish peddled door to door by natives, who could fish a longer season than the rest of us.

You should be able to get fresh fish in Goderich and other shore towns.

Speaking of awards..........

Last September, I entered a few things in our towns County Fair.  I won 1st prize for my Chocolate cake, 2nd prize for my peach jam and 3rd prize for my carrot cake( which would have won first, but they didnt like the orange flavor in the icing). 

I'll dig up the picture of the cake and post it later. 

Congratulations on those awards! :cool: Too bad about the carrot cake and the judges, though. I personally am not crazy about carrot cake, but I think I'd like it better with orange in the frosting.

Tonights dinner:

I'm a bit perturbed because I thought I had boneless, skinless, breasts in the freezer.  I searched high and low this morning and I cant find them.  Sooooo, I have to buy some this afternoon.  I'm making chicken milanese. 

This morning, while on the elliptical trainer I was thinking about the items I always keep in my fridge.  I always have a hunk of reggiano, assorted mustards and non-fat milk. 

What do you always have?

I'm always perturbed when I'm sure I have something in my refrigerator or freezer and discover that it isn't there. What's chicken Milanese? (I suppose we'll find out tonight.)

My refrigerator is usually overblown and overstuffed with random condiments and those-looked-good-in-the-store produce. The staples are dijon mustard, parmesan and cheddar cheeses, mayonnaise, eggs, olives (2 or 3 types), lemons, half and half, and sun-dried tomatos in oil. In the freezer there's always some kind of chicken, bacon, frozen stocks, frozen juice from the excess lemons, and frozen herbs munched up into olive oil. Next time we're planning to move, we'll need to stop shopping for food several months in advance just to work through all the stuff in the freezers and pantry. :laugh:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I've been cooking pretty simply this week. I think because we ate out so much in the last two weeks, I've been craving uncomplicated food.

While in Florida last week I cooked a meal with my best friend Mike( waves HI to Mike). Mike picked the main course and since it was his brother-in-laws birthday, I said I would do the cake. The Birthday boy picked Pineapple upside down cake because that is his favorite. He told me his mother used to bake him one on every birthday.

Mike decided on Parmesan crusted chicken breasts. The chicken is left to marinate in a mustard/vinegar mixture and then it gets a coating of a combination of wheat free bread crumbs( we subbed from the original recipe) and reggiano. Mike wanted to make penna ala vodka as well. I suggested a simple salad of baby arugula with warm sautteed mushrooms and reggiano on top( we're both big fans of reggiano). I made a lemon vinaigrette as well.

gallery_31539_1218_267482.jpg

gallery_25969_665_488255.jpg

gallery_31539_1218_559990.jpg

Robin plated up the salads :biggrin:

I made the sauce using DOP San Marzano tomatoes. I cant recall the brand name, I'll get back to you on that. They cost 2.69 a can at Publix. We sauteed 6 cloves of garlic in 1/4 cup EVOO. We added 3 cans of tomatoes, and broke those up with a spoon. Dried oregano was next, salt, pepper and 2 pieces of rind from the cheese. After that simmered for awhile, we added 1 cup of grey goose vodka and 2 cups of heavy cream. We finished with a chiffonade of basil and chopped italian parsley. OMG, that was pure heaven on a plate. The best sauce or gravy as the Italians call it, that I've ever tasted. I could have eaten in again and again. I just know it was those DOP tomatoes. They really make a difference.

gallery_25969_665_561679.jpg

Here is the finished plate

gallery_25969_665_559801.jpg

And now because Im running late, and in keeping with my theme of waiting an hour for dessert, you'll have to wait until I get home from my appointment before I post the dessert pictures. However, I promise, it will be worth the wait :biggrin:

edited to add recipe link

Heck, Exeter is Bright Lights, Big City compared to Glencoe, down the road from you, where my father grew up! And you know, I remember some of the best meals I've ever eaten coming from my Grandmother's Southwestern Ontario kitchen.

I'll bet I know your father, or his family, as I grew up in Alvinston, and remember lots of great church suppers in Kilmartin. My dad was a large animal vet, and knew everyone from Inwood to Appin...

He probably know my Aunts and Uncles in Law too, they are bigwigs around that area. Herford Farmers, volunteer fireman, yadda yadda yadda.

Wow, what a day. I didnt know Stratford was such a culinary gem. I found a number of interesting shops I'll write about later.

First, when I got home I checked my vm and was dismayed to hear a message from the owner of Bertoldi's in London. I had called this morning to let them know I was going to be taking pictures for my blog. We had planned to eat there on Saturday night. They didnt think it would be a problem. However, the owner informed me that unless I was a professional food stylist, my pictures couldnt do the food justice. His parting words " see you Saturday night". Ummm, no thanks. I really wanted to take pictures, their ceasar salad is really good, one of the best I've had in Canada and I wanted you to see it. Oh well, we'll find someone else to go.

I stopped at Hansen's on my way home. I had planned to make chicken milanese. I picked up this gallery_31539_1218_10830.jpg. It just galls me that I had to pay 7.40 a lb for boneless, skinless breast and now Im not going to use it. Into my already stuffed freezer it will go.

Robin felt a craving for wings. It's wing night at her favorite pub in Bayfield. A small touristy town on Lake Huron. I decided to join her. They make a really good french Onion soup.

Robin went to Costo today in London. She brought me back all kind of groovy things. Sheeps milk feta, a huge vat of dijon mustard and some greek tzatziki sauce. I might just grill the chicken and serve it on salad with the feta and some sauce tomorrow for lunch.

She also went to Angelo's. A great Italian bakery/deli/specialty foods store. She brought me back some mascarpone( Im going to bake a cake this weekend), halvah and best of all KASHA. She knew I was craving my kasha and bows. That's now on my list of foods to make.

I have lots to tell you about Stratford. I found a great bakery, a wonderful cookbook shop and a really neat pasta shop. I wish I would have had more time, but I can always go back. It was only 30 miles and yah, no traffic what so ever.

Catch ya after our pub grub!!