• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Beers Did You Drink Today? Or Yesterday? (Part 1)

Susan in FL

I am about to switch to Tuppers Hop Pocket

Susan so what do you think? i tried it a while ago but don't remember if i liked it or not...

I love Tuppers' Hop Pocket, and suspect from reading about other beers you are enjoying that you would like it. Hope you get a chance to try it again soon. I love its extreme hoppiness, but smoothness at the same time. Another thing I have always liked about it is its consistency... We've never gotten a bad bottle and it always tastes the same. The exception of course is that the best we've tasted is draft from the Old Dominion brewpub. We used to take growlers of it home.

This is Russ's overall favorite beer of all time.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

yeungling lager ......part of a complete meal with Bacon!

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Tonight at Happy Hour a Yuengling on draft at a real back-woodsy Florida fish camp type place on the Halifax River. From the looks of the bar, it surprised me that they even had beer other than in cans that smell like cigarettes.

Then, a Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA at home.

yeungling lager ......part of a complete meal with Bacon!

check out the New York Times Style Magazine this week(1 may). page 42-43 is a story on yeungling

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Yesterday: Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA.

First time I've had this beer. Its amazingly good. Not quite like any of the other IPA's I've ever had. I must say, this is probably my new favorite IPA now.

Not sure if you got to sample it on draft or not, but the draft version is leagues better than the 12oz bottled variety. A few years ago they used to bottle it in 750ml bottles and it was divine. Anyhow look for it on draft you will not be dissapointed.

My site, it is crappy.

http://www.nothoo.com

Currently drinking a New River Pale Ale brewed by Old Dominoin here in Northern Virginia. One of, if not the best, American Style Pale Ales I have ever had. A perfect brew after 4 long hours of yard work in the beautiful 62 degree weather.

My site, it is crappy.

Yesterday: Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA.

First time I've had this beer. Its amazingly good. Not quite like any of the other IPA's I've ever had. I must say, this is probably my new favorite IPA now.

My next door neighboor gave me a couple of bottles of this a few months ago and I have been sitting on them, waiting for just the right occasion to crack one open. Well, your post was just the kick in the pants I needed.

Here are my tasting notes:

Appearance: Pours a light/medium amber clear body with a fluffy egg white head; reasonably good lacing

Smell: The grapefruit hops is the first thing that hits you; take a deeper whiff and some other odors break through, such as pine, brandy and a bit of toffee

Taste: Although the hop profile is unmistakable, this is actually somewhat sweet; starts out with toffee and grapefruit; builds into a bit of brandy soaked raisins in the middle; in the finish, the hops return to close the deal, subsuming everything else other than a touch of sweet toffee on the tip of the tongue

Mouthfeel: Fairly thick for an IPA; syrupy and oily with a modest amount of carbonation

Drinkability: Wonderful brew, but I sure wouldn't want more than one; there is a lot going on and this beer demands that you pay attention to it

Unibroue Fin du Monde. And an Alexander Keith's IPA, as a nod towards home.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Throughout Sunday afternoon we had Alaskan Summer Ale, Widmer Widberry and Mirror Pond Pale Ale. Perfect for a warm but very wet day spent in the garden.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Sunday - A mid afternoon Ale (Belhaven Wee Heavy) and then a Heineken with dinner guests before dinner

Monday - A Radeburger Pilsner post work.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

May 2nd: La Trapp Quardrupel Ale, Dogfish Head 60minute IPA, and in a pinch I drank some Kirin.

The 60 minute was not nearly as good as the 90 minute. Much more hoppy, but it didnt have that dark full almost chocolate/carmel flavor that the 90 minute did. I'll stick with the 90 minute, and keep trying to find the 120 minute in my area. I'm not a huge IPA fan, but so this softened hop flavor is much more my style

The La Trapp is about average for its type. A bit too sweet for my taste, and too expensive. It did have a nice warm alcohol feel in the finish, chest warming for the cold that overtook the midwest.

Kirin, eh... whatever.

May 3rd: Dogfish Head Raison D`Etre (2000 vintage from what I can tell). I was a little worried by the dust on this when I went to Bostons, but it was quite good. Sweet, slight peppery from the beets and not too thick or overly carmel flavored. I have always liked this beer, but its not a long term drinking beer. I can drink a few, then switch off.

I have a Scaldis but I havent opened it. I'll report on that later.

Just cracked a 2005 Stone Old Guardian. A bit of a big beer for a work night but that is how it goes. :biggrin: My initial impression is that it is hotter, in terms of alcohol presence, then it has ever been. Still enjoyable though.

My site, it is crappy.

RE: the Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA, I like it better than the other two for more frequent drinking; however, that's not to say I don't enjoy a 90 Minute now and then. For me, the 120 needs to be occasional.

There seems to be a direct link between being active on this Beer Forum and the addition of a few pounds. Of course it has nothing to do with the beer drinking behavior these topics stimulate.

So, I've been cutting back during the week. I've done this for two days now. Monday and last night I had one Tuppers' Hop Pocket after work (and a glass of wine with dinner).

I'm currently on a short trip to Amsterdam for work, and I've had far too few opportunities to indulge in the malted art. (I also need to get some genever tasting in while I'm here.)

Anyway, I found my way to a nice little brown cafe during my wandering on Sunday and took some bare-bones tasting notes. Unfortunately, work has kept me away from the forums for too long this week, so a lot of details that might have stuck in my short-term memory are long gone. On to the report:

Started off by having a Duvel with my very late lunch at a small outdoor cafe. Same Duvel we all know and love (or is there a slightly different formulation for U.S. distribution?) -- crisp, floral, dense creamy head, plenty of warming alcohol balanced by the perfect balance of hops and hint of candy sweetness.

My walking then took me to Gollem, a brown cafe boasting some 180 beers, including about a dozen taps. (Most of the taps were Belgian beers; and I've noticed Dutch drinking a lot of these tap beers that I've always understood were better kept/poured from bottles, as God intended of bottle-conditioned beers. Hm.) I scanned the list (and only later realized I'd missed an entire blackboard of other choices) and picked out one that I'd never heard of or seen before -- Egmont Tripel. Well, apparently, the barkeep and her patrons didn't know of it either, because she had a very hard time finding a bottle in the case and gave up looking for the branded glass.

The bottle identified the beer as hailing from Zottegem, and was brewed with "smaakevolutie," which I have no idea at all how to translate. (Maybe Klary is reading this and can be of some assistance.) 7% abv.

This beer seemed to be crafted very much in the Duvel vein, with a similar floral perfumed nose, but up front had a faint sourness, almost as though it were a gueze. Maybe "smaakvolutie" means "airborne yeast".... Anyway, as I said, very much like a Duvel in many respects, but a bit thinner in flavor profile, and that intriguing sourness up front. Interesting indeed!

Next I chose a less obscure choice, but one that I don't see much in the States, that being Hoegaarden Grand Cru. Only had this once before, in Belgium, so I was very pleased to have the chance to try it again.

Another in the Strong Blonde Ale tradition of Duvel, this couldn't be further from the witbier that Hoegaarden is so known for (apart from a few similar spicing notes). Malty, caramel, floral nose. First taste impressions are full of figs, raisins, honey, bitter orange, vanilla, and then a light dusting of hops to cleanse the palate as it goes down. Dense, fluffy head, tiny bubbles, massively effervescent, standard lace. Further tastes brought on some biscuity, crisp champagne notes, from the yeast I presume. Really really a superb beer.

God I'm thirsty now. :biggrin:

Christopher

The bottle identified the beer as hailing from Zottegem, and was brewed with "smaakevolutie," which I have no idea at all how to translate.  (Maybe Klary is reading this and can be of some assistance.)  7% abv.

I am glad you are enjoying yourself!

Smaakevolutie means evolution (change/development) of taste. I think it means that the taste of the beer changes (and often deteriorates) once it's bottled, and that some beers ae brewed in such a way that they are still yeasting when they are bottled, so that the change in taste is intentional.

As much as I love good beer, I don't know much about it, so i could be completely wrong about this :biggrin:

keep drinking and reporting Christopher!

Had a pint of Otter Creek Mud Bock Ale this evening.

Sadly, this great adrogynous beer (bocks are supposed to be lagers) has been discontinued by the brewery and was not brewed this spring.

A few kegs were left over since last year and since the beer has aged nicely, they have been distributed around the country and the Charlotte Flying Saucer has been the lucky beneficiary.

While the beer is not as hoppy as it was in its younger days, it has increased its malty complexity and now is resonant of chocolate malt sweetness and lots of dark fruit - tastes not too dissimilar to the Maredsous 8 I had the night before.

Smaakevolutie means evolution (change/development) of taste. I think it means that the taste of the beer changes (and often deteriorates) once it's bottled, and that some beers ae brewed in such a way that they are still yeasting when they are bottled, so that the change in taste is intentional.

Aha. What we refer to as "bottle-conditioned." Makes sense. I guess if I'd thought about it, I might have pieced that meaning together, since the concept of bottle-conditioning was really best developed by the Belgians (as I understand it, anyway). And that was really what I'd alluded to in my earlier comment about how I don't understand the apparent preference for many of these beers on tap when the formulas for these beers were really developed for being stored in bottles -- the whole "freshness" concept that U.S. brewers like Budweiser tout really carry no weight with living beers like these.

To get back on topic, I had my first Netherlands Amstel last night. Far better than the Amstel Light that flows like so much water in the States, and it made for a nice crisp aperitif. Struck me as kind of midway between a light pilsner and a Vienna lager.

Today I was hoping to do a lot of shopping and exploring and hit a few other beer recommendations that Klary so kindly gave me, but it's looking like a lot of things are closed for Remembrance Day (I may be getting the name of the holiday wrong, but I think that's the essence -- remembrance of fallen soldiers of WWII). Fingers crossed that I come across some more good brews!

Christopher

(edited for clarity; *hic*)

Edited by plattetude (log)

I'm developing an expensive beer habit from this thread. I feel compelled to go to my local beer stores and raid their shelves on a nightly basis. Perhaps there should be support groups for this sort of thing. This is actually getting worse than my wine addiction in some ways. *sigh*

BUT I digress....

Yesterday: Dogfish Head Aprihop, Corsendonk Abby Pale Ale.

Corsendonk is one of my favorites, its beautiful champagne pop followed by its excellent apple and pear smells. Its not quite as sweet as some other belgians of its style, which is a good thing for me. Also, years ago Corsendonk was my first serious introduction into "good" beers... so there is that nostalgia factor.

The aprihop is good, although not one of Dogfish Heads best in my opinion. Definately nice crisp hop flavor, but the hops arent so prominent that it obscures the apricot. A good beer for sure, but I would say it would be a better value if it was in the 6 pack rather than the 4. Then again, thats probably just my habit talking.

I've been on a Victory kick. Just made the seasonal switchover from the Hop Devil IPA to the Prima pils.

Everyone must try the pils at least once. You'll see what I mean by "WOW" when you do.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

For whatever reason I can only get the Victory Hop Devil and Golden Monkey by me, and I do like them both. Fortunately for me, my sister lives in Bethlehem, PA- so I called her up last week and asked her to bring a case of the Prima Pils to our Kentucky Derby party, which of course she said would be no problem. I don't know what took me so long to tap that resourse but, hey, at least now I'll finally get to try the Prima :biggrin:

Last night I had Redhook IPA (Ballard Bitter)- it was OK, nothing special- and Sierra Nevada Porter- still great, this beer has not lost a step at all.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

I've been on a Victory kick. Just made the seasonal switchover from the Hop Devil IPA to the Prima pils.

Everyone must try the pils at least once. You'll see what I mean by "WOW" when you do.

This week, Victory launched their beers into the North Carolina market, offering the Prima Pils, the All Malt Lager and their Wit. Unfortunately, we still have a 6% abv restriction (although the legislature is in the midst of deciding to change that law) so none of the higher gravity beers can be sold here.

Really enjoyed the Prima Pils - terrific example of the style.