• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Beers Did You Drink Today? Or Yesterday? (Part 1)

Susan in FL

Yesterday... Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA, a medium-bodied, aromatic IPA from down-state Delaware. The brewery is located in Milton and their brewpub, I believe, in Rehoboth Beach. Perhaps not for those that aren't keen on hoppiness. That said, it's quite well balanced and has a nice, crisp mouthfeel. Definitely one of my current favorites.

Yesterday I had a few Victory Prima Pils in my backyard. I love it's hoppy taste. Great for a bbq.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

The other night I had a couple of DIPA's back to back- Stone Ruination and the Dogfish Head 90 Minute. I gotta say I prefered the Stone myself. The 90 Minute is a real lupulin bomb, to be sure, but it left me feeling like there was a raw hop coating inside my mouth. I don't dislike it, but I'm glad that I ended the session with it.

I also had a Brooklyn East India Pale Ale, and it was probably the most impressive beer I've had in a couple of weeks. I've long enjoyed this beer, but it never hit me like this. Either they've been tweaking it, it was extremely fresh, it wasn't too chilled, or whatever (maybe all of the above)- what a great, complex, perfectly balanced beer that pulls no punches yet manages to have some finesse. I'm glad I revisited it.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Yesterday was a big beer day. We had Bridgeport's Pale Ale, Alaskan Summer Ale and Widmer's Widberry. And lots of homemade pizza to soak it all up.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

yesterday i tried to drink a dogfish head imperial ipa - two sips and i capped it. it tastes too much like a stout and leaves a heavy, yucky taste in my mouth.

a guy who works out in the same gym i do has been suggesting i try buckler(non-alcoholic - made by heineken). ok - bought some and after mowing the lawn tried one. nice, light head. smooth taste. skunk after taste like heinekn or grolsh for me. told him that today in the gym and he seemed unhappy. "but it tasted like real beer, right?" yeah - including the bad aftertaste for my system....

today was a tsingtao while cooking(and sweating), a middlebury ale while reading the paper then a peroni that i added limeade to. that actually was quite refreshing

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Shiner Bock

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

We've been drinking the usuals -- more of the stuff I've already posted about -- except we finally found some Tuborg. We like this for a light and refreshing beer. I think it tastes real good, but that may be because of sentimental reasons, reminding me of our Danish family and our trip to Denmark.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Rogue's Brutal Bitter and Yards' IPA - both decent although nothing special... well i think i need to go to BeerYard to restock on some really worthy stuff...

At least you can mix two "nothing specials" into one special, write? Well, two "specials" may be even better. I like both sorts of bear. We had Sierra Nevada Pale Ale today. Also have to go to special store :biggrin:

last tuesday two - one john like more than i did, the other we both really loved

Hennepin - a bottle conditioned Belgian-style ale from Ommegang Brewery in Cooperstown, NY. unfiltered and yeasty - guess who liked this best?

Rogue Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales Newport, OR

DING,DING, DING... we have a winner!!! :biggrin:

smooth, fresh, hoppy with that little bit of chipotle bite in the back of the throat at the finish. john paired this with some homemade tortilla chips smeared with blue cheese.

i will have to try some of the other Rogues :wink:

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

We've been drinking the usuals -- more of the stuff I've already posted about -- except we finally found some Tuborg.  We like this for a light and refreshing beer.  I think it tastes real good, but that may be because of sentimental reasons, reminding me of our Danish family and our trip to Denmark.

Wow! While in Denmark several summers ago, I developed a fondness for Tuborg and have been unsuccessful finding it here in the states. I recently noticed Carlsberg at the liquor store and wasn't sure if that was a new beer for them or just improved placement for marketing purposes.

I'll have to poke around somemore.

Who is the importer?

Edit: Forgot to add that I had a Bohemia yesterday. My favorite beer from Mexico.

Edited by slbunge (log)

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

We've been drinking the usuals -- more of the stuff I've already posted about -- except we finally found some Tuborg.  We like this for a light and refreshing beer.  I think it tastes real good, but that may be because of sentimental reasons, reminding me of our Danish family and our trip to Denmark.

Wow! While in Denmark several summers ago, I developed a fondness for Tuborg and have been unsuccessful finding it here in the states. I recently noticed Carlsberg at the liquor store and wasn't sure if that was a new beer for them or just improved placement for marketing purposes.

I'll have to poke around somemore.

Who is the importer?

Edit: Forgot to add that I had a Bohemia yesterday. My favorite beer from Mexico.

The importer for the Tuborg is Carlsberg USA. The problem we found with Carlsberg bought in this county (not Tuborg) is that it is now contracted out, made in Canada. It tastes different enough from the Carlsberg that we're used to, made in Denmark, that we don't buy it anymore... that is, of course, unless we discover some imported from Denmark. I love Carlsberg in Denmark. My Danish son is there right now for a long weekend. Maybe he will bring some back with him. :rolleyes::biggrin: Morten, are you reading this? :smile:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Rogue beers are very interesting, and there are many!

The only beer I had in the past couple of days was a Corona, with some anchovies right out of the tin.  :wub:

today after weeding for 3 hours in the oppresive humidity it was two coronas for john with a leftover hamburger for lunch and a bottle of tattinger's champagne for me. :rolleyes: i do hate to eat when it is too hot or humid :angry:

course i had already drunk a carafe of tea i then mixed with limeade and poured over ice :biggrin:

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Legend Golden IPA. A very interesting brew. The brewer uses a yeast that produces diacetyl (Ringwood or Scottish Ale maybe?) or at least a lot of butterscotch (almost Fenugreek) notes. This is pronounced in all of the beers they brew. Some hate diacetyl flavors but I happen to like them in moderation in ceratin beer styles. I think that i certainly makes for an interesting IPA experience, especially for an IPA that is clear gold in color and clocks in at 7% abv.

Legend's distribution is small but if you are in Viriginia look for their beers, some of them are quite good! And no I am not affiliated with the brewery just a fan.

My site, it is crappy.

http://www.nothoo.com

Lagunitas IPA on tap (good session beer, a bit "wheaty" for my taste)

Pelican IPA on tap (right on the edge of being too hoppy)

Orval (fabulous)

Pelican IPA is one of, if not the, best IPAs in the world. IMHO of course. :biggrin: That beer is so lovely. I heard that Pelican stopped producing bottles, if true it is a real shame becuase I doubt I will ever see a keg of that stuff over here on the East Coast. I had to mail order the bottles as it was.

drool...drool

and to keep this post on topic, I am now enjoying a rather lovely Dunkelweizen from Legend brewing in Richmond, VA. A great interpretation of the style and a perfect match for the warmer weather.

My site, it is crappy.

http://www.nothoo.com

didn't exactly drink it but used an Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter to make the Blue Ribbon Meatloaf we've been eating on :blink:

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I know bad homebrew often comes up in the "worst beer" thread, however, a friend of mine just made his first batch in an IPA style using supplies and advice from San Francisco Brewcraft and boy is it tasty. It really does stand up to a lot of the commercial IPAs out there.

Here's hoping the half liter of home made limoncello I'm giving him tomorrow will encourage him to give me more!

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Yesterday - Delerium Tremens (on tap), Westmalle Tripel (bottle). The former - classic, oily, warming, nice spice, certainly no session beer. The latter - one of my favorites and the definition of the style. Lovely.

Today - Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout (bottle), Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout (bottle). The former - the last bottle of my cellared stock of the 2003 bottling. So nice. Smooth, rich, creamy... one of my favorites. The latter - a bit of a dissappointment. Seems to not know what style it's going after.

fanatic...

On tap last night at Toronado.

Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA. An excellent example of East Coast IPAs. Not as sharp and a bit more balanced than some extreme West Coast IPAs. Be interesting to do a comparison tasting between Victory Brewing's Hop Devil and Dogfish Head. Maybe have Stone and Bear Republic's IPAs on hand for comparison.

Dogfish Head Immort Ale. Strangest beer I've had in a while. For what it is worth the initial flavor/smell was nearly exactly like Don Amado Reposado Mezcal. How they got a beer to taste like that, I have no idea.

Tasted another drinker's Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. 20% ABV. Not even sure this qualifies as beer or what setting would be appropriate for consumption. I just hope you aren't driving. Also tasted another person's Dogfish Head Raison d'Etre. This probably would have been nice, if I had any taste buds left. Should have tasted this one first.

Speakeasy Brewing Bootlegger. I'm normally a pretty big fan of Speakeasy's beers, but, after tasting the above, this one underwhelmed me. For Speakeasy, it is very restrained in its hoppy character. Seems most similar to a German Style dark beer. Nice to see them experimenting outside of their normal flavor profile.

Anchor Brewing Bock. Not that impressive. The general consensus was it tastes and feels exactly like the Christmas beer without the spices.

Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

A "keg" can of Heineken after gardening and then a McAuslan Pale Ale while prepping dinner.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami