• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Yesterday, I made Quindim.

gallery_33168_4801_1055963.jpg

It's a custard made of egg yolks, sugar, grated coconut, coconut milk and a touch of lime.

Oh! That's so beautiful!

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Beautiful, and great to see you back in the forums!  I'd love to see the recipe - could you post it in RecipeGullet?

Thanks gfron1!! Yeah, I haven't been around EG for a while, lol. I'll try to post on RecipeGullet tonight when I get home.

Thanks so much Amrita & John!

Honestly, I'm not sure what makes it so smooth, I think it could be the combo of all the egg yolks, and also buttering & sugaring the ramekins...

Lannie, that looks fantastic! Did you toss the berries in some sugar before baking? I find raspberries a little too tart on their own.

Amrita,

I cooked the raspberries slightly in a bit of blackberry jam and lemon juice which took an edge off the tartness. The slight tartness balanced out the richness of the mascarpone and the nuttiness of the almonds/amaretti biscuits.

BTW, your creations are truly fabulous! Those macarons especially look divine. Next month, I will be heading over to Paris to indulge in all the macarons available at Pierre Herme! Also, I used to live in Singapore over 10 years ago. The culinary scene has certainly changed as now all the best ingredients are readily available for the home cook. Back then, it was rather torturous for me to have to live in flats that did not have ovens... Did not bake a single thing the entire 3 years that I was there. :sad:

Lannie, that looks fantastic! Did you toss the berries in some sugar before baking? I find raspberries a little too tart on their own.

Amrita,

I cooked the raspberries slightly in a bit of blackberry jam and lemon juice which took an edge off the tartness. The slight tartness balanced out the richness of the mascarpone and the nuttiness of the almonds/amaretti biscuits.

BTW, your creations are truly fabulous! Those macarons especially look divine. Next month, I will be heading over to Paris to indulge in all the macarons available at Pierre Herme! Also, I used to live in Singapore over 10 years ago. The culinary scene has certainly changed as now all the best ingredients are readily available for the home cook. Back then, it was rather torturous for me to have to live in flats that did not have ovens... Did not bake a single thing the entire 3 years that I was there. :sad:

Lannie, im glad I was not born a little earlier, LOL! I think it would have been hell trying to make things and not having the proper ingredients :o(

Flats nowdays do have ovens, but I think space might be a problem if people wanna decorate cakes etc..... I dont live in a flat, but in a terrace house (i still need more room for all my gadgets and cake rings!! argh!)

Were you here on business? Oh my, I'm sure you'd be surprised if you were to visit again! There are many baking supply stores and 2 major importers who import stuff like Valrhona, Boiron fruit purees etc....(though those come at a hefty price!)

Thank you so much Amrita, I am going to give it a go later today.

I have started from page 1 in "The Lambeth method of cake decorating and practical pastries", and first chapter is french pastries. I made mocha pralines, which called for croquante. So I spent a good chunk of my morning making croquante, with his recipe of course.

The dough has croquante siftings and rum (I used kahlua though) and it's sandwiched with mocha buttercream and some are covered in croquante, some just have a small piece on top.

They were really really good, but I almost got a cavity just by looking at them.

Next up is pignolia pralines. I just love that book, both the cake decorating part and the baking part. Best paycheck ever spent.

gallery_56283_5302_197543.jpg

I am just so amazed and inspired by everyone's creations here!

AmritaBala - those three cupcakes are just beautiful, but without any prissiness! I wish I had the knack and instincts that you do - you really have a gift! Also, what are 'feet' - I am a macaron ignoramous.

Brigid Mary - I had a banana and a string cheese stick for breakfast and your tea ring is making me crazy. Do you think that it would be bad for me to have pastry instead of leftover chicken for lunch :biggrin: ?

austramerica - I am torn between a pastry shop and a doughnut shop for lunch today (see my note to Brigid Mary above). I have a mad and irrational love of sprinkles and I love that you only sprinkled half the doughnut - very pretty! It reminds me of Ling frosting only the tops of layers of cake and not the sides.

Sif - WOW! Those mocha pralines just blew me away. Truly awesome!

Mr. Kim ordered cupcakes for a meeting at work. He wanted key lime cupcakes w/ coconut meringue and chocolate ganache cupcakes. Both turned out very well and he came home with an empty cupcake container!

gallery_34972_2532_87295.jpg

gallery_34972_2532_25223.jpg

Awesome stuff everybody.

I finally got a few pics together. Most of the 20 lbs. of danish dough I made went into variations of these...

gallery_53467_5170_31777.jpg

...this one is caramel apple. I also did lemon curd and strawberry/pastry cream versions and made a couple pans of cinnamon buns and sticky buns with some of the dough.

A recent thread here on firm citrus curds inspired me to play with the idea...

gallery_53467_5170_38395.jpg

...sliceable grapefruit curd w/ honey gelee and caramelized buttermilk bread pudding.

Finally, straight from the brilliant mind of Sam Mason...

gallery_53467_5170_59323.jpg

...kalamata olive cobbler and almond ice cream. Since it's his recipe exactly, I don't think I'm being immodest by saying it is a thing of beauty. Absolutely delicious.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Tri2Cook - Wow, that olive cobbler sounds so interesting! Looks great too!

I made Guinness cupcakes w/ brown sugar cream frosting. At first, I was thinking of making a Bailey's Irish Cream frosting, then changed my mind at the last minute, lol...

gallery_33168_4801_889515.jpg

Here are a couple we've made lately...

Bittersweet Brownie Peanut Butter Bonbons

gallery_51259_4126_54173.jpg

These are dense, decadent, chewy and fudgy brownie bites stuffed with chunky peanut butter-cream cheese filling.

gallery_51259_4126_6529.jpg

These are some Chocolate Chip-Cherry Bars.

gallery_51259_4126_49449.jpg

For a Bob Dillon themed dinner I made "Hey Mr. Tangerine Flan." I had issues with my sauce being too thick so I cropped the picture to make it look prettier than it was. Tangerine flan disc filled with Grand Marnier simple syrup, sprinkled with demerera for texture, set atop an orange tuile (PH's) and Italian meringue.

gallery_41282_4652_2830.jpg

Wow!  Everyone's creations look fabulous!

I made a 6-layer cake using some of the components from Pierre Herme's "Faubourg Pave" (cocoa cakes, caramel syrup, chocolate caramel ganache). 

gallery_8338_183_104685.jpg

Absolutely beautiful, and sounds like it tastes fantastic.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

For a Bob Dillon themed dinner I made "Hey Mr. Tangerine Flan."  I had issues with my sauce being too thick so I cropped the picture to make it look prettier than it was.  Tangerine flan disc filled with Grand Marnier simple syrup, sprinkled with demerera for texture, set atop an orange tuile (PH's) and Italian meringue.

gallery_41282_4652_2830.jpg

Looks gorgeous- but who's Bob 'Dillon'?

I have not checked this thread for a few days and I must say I am once again just stunned! Everything is so beautiful and I feel like a kid that wants a bite of each one!! The photography is great and the combinations are amazing-I have none of these books you all keep mentioning! It is more than enough getting it right with chocolate for now!! What I really love is the perfection. I keep telling everyone I know to look at this site and join because I can't stand thinking of what they are missing!!

Totally enthralled!

I know what you mean Lior, everybody does such great stuff here that I always feel a touch hesitant to post my (often weird) stuff but it's all in fun so I do it anyway.

Rob: "Mr. Tangerine Flan". I love it! That's too cool.

SanaaSol and Sif: Thanks for the kind words. That's Sam Mason's creation and I'd be glad to post the recipe but I haven't completely figured out the rules for posting other people's recipes yet. Don't want to create more work for the mods, I've done too much of that already.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Thanks Lior, that's really nice of you but I wasn't fishing for compliments. I've posted a thing or two here that I've been really proud of but I know I post some strange stuff sometimes. :biggrin: