• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's the most delicious thing you've eaten today (2005)

Ling

A small bottle of Bolthouse Farms' Perfectly Protein (Vanilla Chai Tea with Soy Protein).

I'm hooked!

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

The sausage kale soup I made for dinner. I had been craving it for days, and things kept getting in the way of my making it - but today I finally made it, and it was GOOD.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Carnitas w/ guacamole and little hand-made (not by me) corn tortillas....yummmmm :wub:

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Yesterday: homemade mac & cheese w/ sharp cheddar and fontina - first time I've made it myself and WOW!

Today: tall americano w/ half&half (from Starbucks, but far better than the office coffee swill, and far better than Starbucks' own drip coffee)

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

Yesterday: corn niblets tossed in the skillet with butter, onions, and finished with lime juice. A very simple yet tasty combination.

Today: a Starbuck's coffee, so far. It can only get better! :hmmm:

One of my students was making a terrine of foie gras and duck confit, so I stole some confit, put some whole grain mustard and some red wine vin in it.... Heaven!!!!!

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

A perfectly ripe, fragrant Comice pear.

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

My first cup of coffee. :wub:

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Be honest, when you're starving, stressed, & haven't had a chance to get

anything - at least the very first bite tastes WONDERFUL. Then

you chew, swallow, and later wonder "What was I thinking? That tasted

GOOD??" (Spoken by someone who deals with junior high students all day).

---A glass of wine

Burgundy makes you think silly things, Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them ---

Brillat-Savarin

I made a metric shit-ton of curried butternut squash soup....it was good....especially with my french rolls that had just come out of the oven. Although....I had a few cheetos that were pretty dammed good also.

today:

All day rehearsals for county honors band. I managed to work in a position with the other slackers from my distrcit which involved watching the rehsearsal room while everyone else 'enjoyed' a school cafeteria lunch, then going out for lunch ourselves in town afterwards.

Anyway, they had a place in mind, someplace called the 'Steamed Bean' or 'Hot Bean' or something along those lines, this coffee shop which serves minimal fare on top of coffee. Upon discovering they served sandwhiches, soups, and salads, but had no kitchen, I decided a Turkey Club salad was the safest bet. In actuality, it was pretty good, the turkey was cold cuts, the bacon not quite warm, but the veggies were fresh and the blue cheese dressing (although there was not enough of it it fully coat the salad) was tasty. It hit the spot at the time while they enjoyed their cold cut sandwhiches and likely reconstituted canned soups.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Shitake mushrooms, onions, garlic, herbs, tomatoes, olive oil and butter (all mellowed out), on linguine. With COLD sparkling water (tingly bubbles). And Ben&Jerry's Heath crunch ice cream for dessert.

Edited by crinoidgirl (log)

V

I rescind my earlier taste of the day.

Bacon. :wub:

Tops a freshly baked pineapple-coconut bun. Or almost anything else, for that matter.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Whole Grain Flat Bread with pears, goat cheese and confit of duck...Yummy.

Yesterday...Venison Loin with Port reduction and Duchess Sweet Potatoes. :cool:

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.