• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Induction Cooktops

AmyH

12 hours ago, Laurentius said:

This is false.  I own a dual-frequency induction hob that induces both copper and aluminum.

Can you link to this? Last I looked for such thing they only existed as concepts.

How well does it do on copper? Is there a noticeable difference when you switch metals? Do you have to change settings?

Notes from the underbelly

11 minutes ago, palo said:

Aaaaaand that the link in the second post. Glad we are on the same team 🤗

23 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Mine clearly references the Panasonic KY-MK3500

4 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Can you link to this? Last I looked for such thing they only existed as concepts.

How well does it do on copper? Is there a noticeable difference when you switch metals? Do you have to change settings?

It's definitely beyond the concept stage.  It's been available in Japan for years.  Try here:  https://www.mercari.com/us/item/m53781273987/?gclsrc=aw.ds&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=17807057024&utm_content=t0&adgroup=139339603819&network=g&device=c&merchant_id=126358573&product_id=m53781273987&product_id=1931555151504&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9vqyBhCKARIsAIIcLMHbBkjcObv4Zc3dMKA8bhEs5qr03fxqpV2b7u3RlPcimlkxd_zvuFgaApQOEALw_wcB

There was a discussion of the Panasonic Met-ALL posted here 5-6 years ago. 

I think it works well with copper.  Panasonic limited the output of the higher frequency mode to 2400W (vs. 3600 for "regular").  I always wondered why until I met with a Vollrath engineer, who told me that full power under a light aluminum pan it would levitate the pan off the appliance.

Unfortunately, dual frequency induction has become Betamaxed out of the market.

7 hours ago, Laurentius said:

I think it works well with copper.  Panasonic limited the output of the higher frequency mode to 2400W (vs. 3600 for "regular"). 

This is great news (even if old news). The Panasonic is also a 240v device, as it would have to be at that power rating. That may be why it's not officially sold in the US. Peculiar that the technology isn't everywhere, including multi-burner cooktops. I only see references to this Panasonic unit, and to a Vollrath one that's harder to find.

7 hours ago, Laurentius said:

I always wondered why until I met with a Vollrath engineer, who told me that full power under a light aluminum pan it would levitate the pan off the appliance.

From my (very brief) reading on this, the engineers don't even have to limit the power.  It's naturally limited by the inductance of the pan material. A coil that delivers 3600W to iron will deliver less to aluminum or copper. It's not a matter of efficiency; it will pull less power from the wall as well. A coil that delivers 3600W to aluminum could be made, but it would be more expensive, and would either deliver much more than this to iron, or would have to have its power deliberately limited in low-frequency mode.

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

9 hours ago, paulraphael said:

From my (very brief) reading on this, the engineers don't even have to limit the power.  It's naturally limited by the inductance of the pan material.

Well, both Panasonic and Vollrath say this unit's power was design-limited to 2400W, and I was given a reason for that limit.  Frankly, that's still a lot of power for pans made of conductive metals.

I think it's a shame that dual-frequency appliances haven't become widely available.

10 hours ago, rotuts said:

BTW   does anyone know the cost od the panasonic unit ?

I could not find it.

w 2400 W   its 220 V ?

It's not offered in USA any longer, for reasons I don't understand.  You might find new old stock.

I paid $700, and the last price I saw was $999.

Yes, 220/240VAC

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Laurentius said:

It's not offered in USA any longer, for reasons I don't understand.  You might find new old stock.

I found some new, old stock.  Price is $850, plus shipping.

Anyone who is ready to buy, please PM me.

21 hours ago, Laurentius said:

Anyone who is ready to buy, please PM me.

Why not just give us the link, or is this a "trunk" sale?

p

1 hour ago, palo said:

Why not just give us the link, or is this a "trunk" sale?

p

The authorized distributor's offer was to sell to me.  I'm not going to have his kindness rewarded by being inundated with messages from third parties.  If you're interested, I'll put you in contact with an introduction.