• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! (2003-2012)

beans

Not the healthiest lunch in the world. I heard two people in the office talking about how they drank Johnny Walker Blue for NYE.. Walking by hearing this, I told them about the bottle I had in the trunk of my car.. One things leads to another and we are standing around a double shot in the break room..  Really busy today so that counts as lunch..

Now that's a vegan lunch I could enjoy!

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Desparate leftovers, after being gone for two weeks and having nothing in the fridge:

Chunks of raw fish from last night's take-out sunomono, fried up with an egg, and here's the worst part: I unrolled the leftover California rolls, dumped out the middle, and added the rice and nori to the egg/ fish mixture.

Kinda gross, but not nearly the worst thing I've fried with eggs for lunch.

Spaghetti carbonara (I'm addicted - it's totally becoming my weekend lunchtime treat) and a green salad (romaine and thinly sliced red onion) with a simple vinaigrette. Delicious! Now it's time to face the day... :laugh:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

We had chicken 65 and some naans.

my husband was just walking past me and glanced at the computer: They had chicken and 65 types of beans?????he asked hopefully. (he is going through a bean collecting phase and on the lookout for beans he doesn't know about). :biggrin:

we had a sort of italian sformato, made with greek ingredients: chopped cooked spinach, crumbled feta (brought back from the athens central market to our hampshire home), chopped green onions and fresh dill, a grating of nutmeg, an egg beaten with a bit of cream to hold it all together, and lots of shredded mature cheddar and finely grated parmigiana.

baked till solidish, with lots of melty cheese on top.

and it was delish.

marlena

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

• 2 weeks later...

I had an awesome lunch at a Filipino restaurant with some other Vancouver Egulleters, Abra, and her husband!

We had a huge variety of dishes..there were long beans, a noodle dish with lots of egg sauce and dried shrimp, a huge pork hock that was deep-fried, a few types of stews (my favourite was a pork stew rich with gelatinous skin and fat, and slightly vinegary), a dried fish that was deep-fried, mung bean and lentils in a soup, fish with tamarind in a soup, lumpia... For dessert, we had casava cake, black sticky rice with caramelized sugar, and a coconut milk based dessert with jackfruit, sweet potato, mochi balls...oh, and a Calamansi soda.

Yum!

I was starving today! Miso soup, assorted sushi/sashimi, spicy maguro temaki. Found a place near the new office that has credible sushi, woohoo!

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I had a Johnny Rockets' Smokehouse Burger Tillamook® Cheddar cheese, thick bacon, crisp onion rings & our "Smoke House" barbecue-ranch sauce. :wacko:

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

Sandwich made up at an Italian deli not far from my work. They make the sandwiches to order and slice the meat and cheese when you order and serve it on fresh buns/bread made in shop.

Had some soppressetta :wub: and capicolli along with a jalapeno havarti cheese on a whole wheat kaiser. Topped with some lettuce, tomato, mayo and mustard. Very tasty. Beats Subway anyday!

A truly destitute man is not one without riches, but the poor wretch who has never partaken of lobster. - anonymous

We had a party at work today somehow related to the babies in the 3 Kings Day cake...also related to "imbolc"

We had

tostados made with black bean sauce, queso blanco, lettuce dressed with lime juice and tomatillo salsa - awsome

rice and peas

roasted chickens

lemon chicken

honey mustard chicken salad with cashews and mandarins

tossed salad with avocado

pineapple pie

chocolate mousse cake

and

tres leches cake

good thing we were doing assembly line idiot work after lunch

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I'm having a clean-out-the-crisper sandwich: Half an avocado, cucumbers, lettuce, and some nondescript white cheese. With Sriracha.

It's actually pretty damn good.

"It is impossible not to love someone who makes toast for you."

-Nigel Slater

We had chicken roulade: chickenloaf spiral-rolled up in an omelette. The texture was rich and smooth, rather pate-like.

gallery_11814_2555_15639.jpg

The sambal goreng tempeh was tiny diced tempeh deep fried til crisp then stirred together with soy sauce, golden fried shallots & garlic and spices with some crunchy peanuts tossed in.

gallery_11814_2555_143085.jpg

It's rambutan season...I don't really like them so much, but these were nice for dessert -- sweet and juicy.

gallery_11814_2555_30673.jpg

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Yetty, I love that this is what you're served at the office.

Today for lunch, a few colleagues and I had a lunchtime pow-wow and ordered in Wu Liang Ye for fuel. Shredded smoked beef with spicy capsicum, prawns with chili asparagus, broccoli in garlic sauce, eggplant in garlic sauce, veggie mai fun, veggie dumplings, and pork dumplings.

You know, just a little food. :laugh::wacko::laugh:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I'm now settled in at my new job--my telephone was installed today and I now have everything I need in my office except the office chair that was ordered for me.

But I'm catching up on my sidelines, including an article that I had hoped to finish before I started (fat chance), so I lunched at my desk today:

gallery_20347_2076_210262.jpg

(The image on my computer monitor is a photo I took of the building I work in at Widener University. It's the oldest building on the campus, built to house the military college that became Widener.)

As for the meal itself?

gallery_20347_2076_147293.jpg

Leftover chili from the batch I made on Monday but didn't post to the Chili Cook-Off and tossed salad. In the bottle is a red wine vinaigrette with mustard powder, dill, basil, onion powder and Sriracha sauce.

I topped the chili with shredded cheese (shredded before I left for work and put in a baggie, natch) and crushed crackers.

I've been brown-bagging all week. Tomorrow is Friday. I intend to give myself the day off in the kitchen.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody's eaten lunch since I last posted?

Or is it that nobody's eaten anything they think interesting enough to share?

I suspect the latter...but I had meant to share what I had on "cook's day off" the day after I posted, in part because it was something I hadn't expected to find.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression is that bison is still a rather trendy item, not widely available yet.

I probably was wrong in this impression even before I had lunch on the 17th, because the diners I occasionally frequent now offer at least bison burgers, and one of them even serves a bison steak.

In any case, I hadn't expected to find one on the menu here--

gallery_20347_2076_229391.jpg

--at this unassuming steak-and-hoagie joint at 17th and Providence, a few blocks up from Widener. (I waited for my order on the old sofa that is the one piece of furniture in the shop.)

But there it was, and here it is:

gallery_20347_2076_18066.jpg

$3.99 to boot.

It was a little on the dry side.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I'm eating lunch right now: vinegar-based coleslaw (leftover) and a strange-but-good concoction of browned ground beef and leftover rice pilaf stirred into leftover mustard/white wine sauce from a chicken thigh braise.

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child