• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! (2003-2012)

beans

Thai Basil Chicken Salad courtesy of the fast-food-Asian-fusion place. To my dismay, I discovered that all the spicy thai basil deliciousness was in the creamy dressing which I did not want to eat. So I doused it in rooster sauce and hot mustard. Yum.

"It is impossible not to love someone who makes toast for you."

-Nigel Slater

Mmmmm...just finished a turkey club on whole wheat toast and a small bag of Cape Cod potato chips, washed down with a Diet Coke. Good stuff.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Tofu and steamed veggies in a miso broth, so good! Don't think I'm eating healthy, though, I ate 4 bowls of it, now I feel like a slug. :URP:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Toasted Pita bread with Hummus, Hiyayakko, steamed veggies.

Sounds healthy, but for who knows why I decided to put chocolate syrup on the cold silken tofu. Subtle flavors aside, I found it rather delicious.

Oh, and Cream Soda, can't forget that.

Quick-thrown-together chicken salad from stuff in the fridge: Two boiled eggs, half a roasted chicken, sliced celery, halved red grapes, with a scoop of Hellman's and a sprinkle of curry powder. Crispy, salty sunflower seeds on top. Wheat crackers and a diet Pepper over ice.

Plenty left for lunch tomorrow.

A six-egg omelette with shrimp and red pepper. Some very average chocolate someone gave me...it was milk chocolate from Lindt. Very, very sweet.  :wacko:

Their dark chocolate is good, but I agree that the milk is too sweet and well...milky.

Yeah...I only enjoy bittersweet chocolate.

Today's lunch was a peanut butter and Nutella sandwich. And a banana. (I feel 5 years old.)

We just sat down to egg white omelettes with mild cheddar cheese, onions and plum tomatoes, homemade carrot/bread crumb "sausage"(it's vegan, yum!) and plenty of hot sauce. Dessert? Mendoker's yellow birthday cake with their idea of buttercream, kiddle eats the icing, I eat the cake. We're a great team! I have two ripe pears waiting as well. Happy New Year!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

creamy potato, leek and onion soup; salmon salad in split mini baguettes with baby carrots and cherry tomatoes on the side; green grapes and 2yr old raw milk cheddar for dessert... and a glass of ice tea :smile:

Cheese: milk’s leap toward immortality – C.Fadiman

Feeling a bit run down so I dumped a can of tomato soup in a bowl (mixed with water and tons of toasted cayenne) and tossed in a few chunks of firm tofu. Ahh, easy and filling.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Crappy chicken wrap from the local delivery place. Stale flour tortilla wrapped around funky fatty chicken chunks, shredded iceburg, shredded provolone, and old tomato chunks. Blegh. I hate semi-rural Ohio at lunch time. This particular place only has one saving grace that keeps me coming back... their house dressing. Pink Italian. This stuff is so good, I could DRINK it... this coming from someone that doesn't really care for a dressed salad. I wish I could duplicate it but I have no idea where to even start. I've begged and pleaded with them to give me the recipe but they're not budging. :angry: Stingy bastards.

I was looking forward to the take-out I allow myself everyone once in a while when I actually have time to go get something (about once every three weeks). Everyone has been raving about a new upscale Asian take-out place-- basically Chinese, but with some Thai, Korean, and Japanese inspired dishes. I love Korean and can rarely get it here in Oklahoma, so I ordered their version of spicy Korean. It sounded more or less like Bi Bim Bap, without the egg, so I tried it. There were pieces of pork so gristly they were unedible, swimming in tons of thick tomatoey spicy sauce (sort of a cross between putanesca and barbeque sauce). Bleh. The rice was some kind of Uncle Ben's type arrangement so the rice was firm with no stickiness. Fine for some kinds of food, but not Asian. Very disappointing. My usual boring leftovers are much better.

Time to make the 30 minute drive to an actual Korean restaurant-- as far as I can tell, the only one in the Oklahoma City area. *sigh* There was a pretty sizeable Korean population where I grew up (Ann Arbor, Michigan) and I really miss the Korean food. I must say, however, that OKC has some quite good Vietnamese restaurants. Should have gone to one of them...

:blink:

"An' I expect you don't even know that we happen to produce some partic'ly fine wines, our Chardonnays bein' 'specially worthy of attention and compet'tively priced, not to mention the rich, firmly structur'd Rusted Dunny Valley Semillons, which are a tangily refreshin' discovery for the connesewer ...yew bastard?"

"Jolly good, I'll have a pint of Chardonnay, please."

Rincewind and Bartender, The Last Continent by Terry Pratchett

About a year ago, I gave up eating in our corporate cafeteria. The food was expensive and it sucked too.

Today I brought in lunch: leftover italian sausage and mushroom risotto and a green salad.