• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet NJ Pig-BBQ & Potluck, Sunday, 9/21/03

Fat Guy

Rachel - that mold is stunning.  How long did it take you to put together?  Did it ever get eaten, or were people afraid to destroy it?

Nope, I cut into it. And there were only three portions left. It was truly a sight to behold. I'm glad I didn't have Godspell in my head all day!

Jason, I can't get most of the pictures. :sad:

they take forever to load. and considering you have a dial up with duct tape and string, it might take you even longer. :wink:

:laugh:

Actually, I'm getting the box with the red x in it.

Click the re-fresh button and more photos will down-load. I had to do this about 4 times.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

OK - the photo's are sorted and captioned.

Thanks for all the compliments. The jello mold, while not all that complicated, is time consuming in a "you can't leave home all afternoon" kind of way. But the attention to each layer is just a few minutes out of every hour. It got a little mangled & melted during the unmolding, but I'm so glad Elyse cut right into it. I think it looks even cooler in cross section. :biggrin: I knew if I was going to make a Jello mold for this crowd, it had better be a fabulous looking one.

I can't believe how many of the items I didn't get a chance to eat. Not to mention, I only had about three bites of pork. :sad: Everything I tried was excellent. I'm so glad we had such a beautiful day and such an idealic location for our potluck.

I had to do some file compression because the pictures were so huge. Slight loss of quality, but they still look pretty good.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I had to do some file compression because the pictures were so huge. Slight loss of quality, but they still look pretty good.

please to uncompress them. they look like hell now, and they looked sooo good before. :sad:

You wanna pay my 2000 dollar server bill when people hit this thread a couple of thousand times? No prob. :laugh:

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

I'm working on uploading the super-hi-res originals to Imagestation. Bare with me.

Hey everyone - really great day. Actually got a burst of energy after I got back in and ate some of Curdnerd's bread-the baguette. Gave me a shot of energy that I'm still running on.

Nice to see everyone. Hope to get a chance to talk more at next event with everyone(adults too). Thanks for the trampoline ride, Curdnerd and family; boy, that Jacob can bounce!

Sabq-nice kid you got there.

And little Sophia was cute as the dickens(and threw me in a takedown move, all 30 pounds of her).

Jason- great pics!

Tommy- Get your paws off my money, you capitalist running dog!

Rachel- I was good and didn't blow up the jello mold and what a hit it was.

Thanks for saving my purse and my money from that fiend tommy. He'll stop at nothing.

Thanks so much.

Found Herb's vodka. That was pretty intense.

Hey Curdnerd, that baguette was good!

Great food, fine pig, good day.

P.S.  Did anyone talk with the two Japanese ladies?

I tried. I noticed they were eating the insanely spicy Death Rain potato chips I (and Markstevens) had brought. I asked them if they liked spicy food, they just sort of laughed (in that debutante actress on Iron Chef kind of way, with their hands over their mouth).

Unaltered Hi Res Pictures from Potluck

You need to log onto Imagestation (free) to be able to view these. Have fun.

These are BIG pictures people.

Wow. The pig looks great, and the collard greens made me want to jump into the picture! I hope someone makes greens for Varmint's pickin.

We should have gone to NJ this weekend. :angry: Oh well, maybe we will make it to the next one.

Rachel, that jello mold...words fail me...

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I've added captions to the imagestation album, but after the narrative there's a bunch of repetitive and uncaptioned images. If anyone would like me to caption and add an image to the top, let me know. Also, if I got any captions wrong, please PM me, include the original caption so I know which photo to which you are referring.

P.S.  Did anyone talk with the two Japanese ladies?

at one point, they were in front of me, and started whispering, giggling, and pointing at me. :blink:

They must have noticed the "Available, willing and cheap" sign I'd attached to your back...

*ducks and runs*

and I just noticed that I forgot to mention Joe, Donna and the kick-ass cool convertible we rode to & from in!!!!

Mea maxima culpa, y'all. THANK YOU--you two are FUN!

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Thanks to everyone for a glorious day! Our gracious hosts, our organized organizers, and everyone else for just being themselves and bringing some of the best potluck food I've ever had the pleasure of encountering. Great to see some of the folks I already knew, and a real treat to meet a lot of fun new people as well.

EDICT: There will be no more mockery of jello molds. At least if Rachel is making them. I remain speechless with awe on that one. A jiggly work of art, that one.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

So... It was totally cool to meet everyone and the food was awesome. We hope to seem more of everyone soon. Had a great ride up and back in JosephB's super-sweet convertible. Nice car and even better company.

The pig was primo. Moist and tender. Several of us opined that the pig is, indeed, the tastiest of animals. Really, everything was delicious. I ate so many things, I can't remember it all.

The Bobolink cheeses are all incredible. I brought home large chunks of the Pancake cheese and the "as yet unnamed" cheese that's washed with Belgian ale.

It was good to finally get a little taste of Elyse's famous pecan pie.

I do admit, however, to being a tiny bit disappointed to learn that Tommy had trimmed back the mullet.

--

Everyything worked out great! The food, the people, the animals (Excepting for the post Pickin' dog fight) and the weather. The only real complaint I had was that it was too dang short! We need to start like 6am next time. We can pitch in and help milk the cows...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Everyything worked out great!  The food, the people, the animals (Excepting for the post Pickin' dog fight) and the weather.  The only real complaint I had was that it was too dang short!  We need to start like 6am next time.  We can pitch in and help milk the cows...

I'm with you.

Talking about the Banana Pudding in another thread reminded me...

Usually, Banana Pudding is topped with meringue. I didn't do it because I was serving it in a plastic bowl and didn't think it would travel well, etc. However, many people took home Banana Pudding in aluminum take-away trays. I suggest you make up a quick meringue with one or two egg whites & a little sugar and brown it in a hot oven for 5-10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temp.

Also, re: Quantities. Almost everyone made too much of everything. Some people were smart and just made one recipe of whatever they brought. Most of us made many multiples of their recipes. I suggest for all eGullet potlucks of the future that no one more than double a recipe. There was sooooo much food yesterday. I took home at least two dinners worth of food, and a lot of stuff just got tossed. There seemed to be just the right amount of pork, however. Fink did a good job. :wub: