• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet NJ Pig-BBQ & Potluck, Sunday, 9/21/03

Fat Guy

Jeez, this thread is moving fast, so I once again missed to top of a page. Sorry.

the top of whose page?

i don't know if 10 serving spoons is enough.

If your eGullet settings are set to 40 posts per page, most of the updates I've been posting appear at the top of most of the new pages. All of you who haven't optimized your eGullet settings must think I just post the updates randomly, huh?

The 10 spoons I brought were the extra (in my mind), JIC people forget to bring their own serving implement for their dish.

random is right kid. :biggrin:

10 extra spoons are great. now, how many do we need and who's bringing them? should i buy them? that's the question.

I figured everyone should bring their own serving implement to leave with their dish (see #10 above). However, a few more couldn't hurt. But I'm done shopping for the event. So there.  :raz:

ah. #10. i missed that one. hopefully no one else did! worse case scenario, i'll just use my hands to serve everyone. :smile:

Edited by tommy (log)

If I bring a six of Heinekin, can I trade with someone for a lesser, crappier beer, or some other beverage?

This assumes that Heineken is anything other than "lesser, crappier beer" which I'm not sure that it is.

I hope this comment doesn't endanger my pecanless pie in any way. :cool:

I hate Heinekin. I just happen to have some. Pecanless pie will happen.

Okay I'm heading out to shop. I'll get white trash bread with lots of preservatives so it will still be good in 3 weeks, and I'll also grab whatever else strikes my fancy. If there's duplication too bad; there's always next time.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Rich Pawlack is bringing a guest, ( and adding a sun dried polenta pizza!)

so that brings us to 75!

We're going to need a bunch of tables, so even if you have a card table, I think it would help.

Edited by Kim WB (log)

Riach Pawlack is bringing a guest, ( and adding a sun dried polenta pizza!)

so that brings us to 75!  We're going to need a bunch of tables, so even if you have a card table, I think it would help.

I'll be bringing 2 tables and 3 folding chairs.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Rachel,

I hope you haven't yet sent the menu to the printer because I'm modifying my contribution. Since my kitchen is still somewhat under construction and we're only partially unpacked, I'm going to pass on making dough and use some very good phyllo instead. I oven dried some beautiful tomatoes over night and will make a nice filling with the tomatoes and goat cheese. I'm loosing the corn. I don't think I have enough tomatoes to make a fair contribution, so I will make a mushroom and leek filling as well. We can still call them savory pastries.

See you Sunday.

--Joe

I'm bringing my collection of take-out forks, spoons, knives, chopsticks, and 1 spork. Not quite enough for one for each person, but almost. 2 or more plastic serving implements (I share). A roll or two of paper towels, box of garbage bags. Oh, and the promised food and beverage.

Do we need to bring some Charmin?

i was wondering that myself.

i've got the following:

500 plastic forks

500 plastic knives

500 plastic spoons

260 plastic plates

140 plastic bowls

360 16 oz plastic cups

120 or so 9 oz plastic cups for wine

2 cases of soda (pepsi/diet pepsi)

1000 napkins

several rolls of paper towels

a bottle of 409, because a clean pig pickin is a happy pig pickin,

and enough plastic bags to tie up all the garbage and all of the guests if need be.

also,

a few folding or plastic chairs

1 or 2 3x3 plastic tables

a cooler with ice

one of those big round tubs for cans/bottles/etc with ice

that's assuming i can fit it all. i may have to leave the big round tub thing behind.

Edited by tommy (log)

Do we need to bring some Charmin?

i was wondering that myself.

i've got the following:

500 plastic forks

500 plastic knives

500 plastic spoons

260 plastic plates

140 plastic bowls

360 16 oz plastic cups

120 or so 9 oz plastic cups for wine

2 cases of soda (pepsi/diet pepsi)

1000 napkins

several rolls of paper towels

a bottle of 409, because a clean pig pickin is a happy pig pickin,

and enough plastic bags to tie up all the garbage and all of the guests if need be.

also,

a few folding or plastic chairs

1 or 2 3x3 plastic tables

a cooler with ice

one of those big round tubs for cans/bottles/etc with ice

that's assuming i can fit it all. i may have to leave the big round tub thing behind.

Could you please be more exact with the count on the 9 oz cups :laugh:

A.D.S.

Well, we definitely won't be there.

We had our car broken into yesterday and the repair won't be complete until monday. Hence, we're carless this weekend.

Not only have those damn theives caused me a shitload of aggravation, they've ruined my weekend plans. :sad: I want to see them rot in jail. :angry:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

We've acquired 80 white-trash potato-flour rolls. In addition, I grabbed a diverse selection of what I think will be appropriate condiments and garnishes. Sounds as though our cup needs are totally covered, so next week I will return the extra cups I bought; but I'll have them in the van at the event just in case we have to build a barn out of cups or something. See you all on Sunday!

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

The life of a paralegal sucks sometimes.

I have to come into the office this weekend, so no pig pickin' for me. :angry: Instead, I'll be relying on the food dregs that one can find in the financial district on any given weekend. Hey! Maybe I can catch the web cam broadcast from curdnerd's farm, eh? :sad: (Take me off the list, Rachel.)

Soba

that's assuming i can fit it all.  i may have to leave the big round tub thing behind.

Tommy's the bestest. :raz: Why don't you just put everything you're bringing into the tub? (Although I'm sure you've already thought of that, duh.)

Edit: just reread your list, what, no serving spoons? :laugh:

'trix - sorry about your car and that you can't make it to the shindig.

Soba - ditto, except not about a car. Soba was making a couple apps, roasted tomatoes and wilted greens. We have plenty of apps, but if anyone is looking to fill a hole, some more veggies are always welcome.

Re: Charmin - I'm sure there's some there, but it may be a good idea to bring a roll with you anyway - don't want to run out or leave curdnerd with none.

OK - BYOC and BYOTP :cool:

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

OK - I've edited the above update. If anyone is looking to bring something else, since Soba dropped out along with his roasted tomatoes and wilted greens, so something along those lines would be nice.

Oh, and we have all these garbage bags - how are we going to support them? Is anyone bringing a garbage can? Or should we just tie them to a tree or something?

Oh, and we have all these garbage bags - how are we going to support them? Is anyone bringing a garbage can? Or should we just tie them to a tree or something?

i don't think they need support really. i've cleaned up plenty without support in the past. i don't look forward to driving garbage home, however. :rolleyes: