• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet NJ Pig-BBQ & Potluck, Sunday, 9/21/03

Fat Guy

I also just want to say that our pig event is totally going to kick the ass of Varmint's pig event. :raz:

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I also just want to say that our pig event is totally going to kick the ass of Varmint's pig event.  :raz:

Gee, you're having this event on a beautiful farm where they make artisinal cheese and bread. All attendees are within driving distance, enabling them to bring freshly prepared dishes. You're having a restaurant cook your pig.

But you ain't got no stinkin' t-shirts!!!

And you don't have people coming from England, Canada, Maine, Texas, Chicago and several other states!!!

I'm just envious, as I'm working today, just so I can go to NY with a clear conscience.

I expect a shitload of pictures, people!!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I also just want to say that our pig event is totally going to kick the ass of Varmint's pig event.  :raz:

Gee, you're having this event on a beautiful farm where they make artisinal cheese and bread. All attendees are within driving distance, enabling them to bring freshly prepared dishes. You're having a restaurant cook your pig.

But you ain't got no stinkin' t-shirts!!!

They probably also don't have a freshly poured concrete sidewalk.

Ok, everyone, I'm heading out, so no more PM's to make changes, regrets, etc. Please post to the board, and hopefully someone will glance at it before they leave for the pig potluck, and can fill us in on any changes.

Drive Safely, see you there.

Gee, you're having this event on a beautiful farm where they make artisinal cheese and bread. All attendees are within driving distance, enabling them to bring freshly prepared dishes. You're having a restaurant cook your pig....

I expect a shitload of pictures, people!!!

:angry: That's it! Next year, we'll have AlanZ cook the pig. He makes a mean pulled pork. No offense to Fink, who's food is fabo, but we need an eGullet member to cook the pig next time. Oh wait, Fink is an eGullet member. :raz:

I'm sure Varmint's will be great. We don't have live music. :sad:

Camera. Check.

I'm sure Varmint's will be great. We don't have live music.  :sad:

We have opera singers. Something can be arranged.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

After I sent my regret to Kim, I saw her post that she left. I've been called in to work. I've had this job for a week and want to keep it, so I cannot refuse. I already made 5 gallons of mint juleps too. My neighbors will love me tonight when I give them bourbon.

I am now the assistant manager of DiBruno's House of Cheese in Philly. I can't wait for the pics!

Lisa

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

I'm sad that some people won't be coming, but I have a feeling we're going to be able to manage without their food contributions! :laugh:

We had told Kim we were iffy for today but it looks like we will be making it after all. But I will change what I am bringing from fruit and a fruit dip, to fruit and salad, since that seems to be what's needed. (we are away from home and can't make the dip, but we can pick up fruit platters and salads greens.)

We hope to be there by 1:30... heading out soon to pick this stuff up...might be a little late :(

Randi

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Found at the end of the pigroast: one Radio Shack stereo audio micro phone plug "Y" adaptor.

Jonathan & Nina White, cheesemakers/bakers

mailto:Jonathan@cowsoutside.com

Bobolink Dairy & Bakeyard

Grass-fed raw milk cheese

Wood-fired rustic breads

Located between Warwick, NY & Vernon, NJ

Our Webpage

Did you find the million dollars I left you?

Thanks so much Jonathan & Nina & cows for hosting the event, and to everyone who organized and participated. What a great day.

More after the food coma wears off.

And I would like to ask, Jonathan, please state for the record which state we were in at the time of the pig roast: New Jersey or New York.

What a fabulous day and we were in NJ as the weather was gorgeous. Didn't you know that it was raining in NY?

Thanks so much Jonathan & Nina for sharing their beautiful farm with us. Rachel and Kim--you worked very hard to get this organized. Bravo to the two of you. And Fink rocks. Wow. 100 lbs of pork and grilled pork skin. I was in heaven. Everyone should also give themselves a pat on the back for bringing all of the delicious food and thanks to Tommy for bringing the dishes to put the food on!! I'm STUFFED.

All in all I think the first annual pig roast at Babolink Farms was a success.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Guest johnh91011

Jason and I had a great time. I don't think either one of us will eat for the next few days. :cool: Everything was wonderful.

By the way the samosas were purchased from a place called Chowpatty on Newark Ave in Jersey City. They also have a place in Iselin. We tried samples from quite a few places along Newark Ave in Jersey city and settled on Chowpatty.

Thanks Rachel and Kim for organizing a grand and successful event. Thank you Jonathan and Nina for the use of your place.

I hope you are right, Rosie, that this is the first of many to come.

John

And I would like to ask, Jonathan, please state for the record which state we were in at the time of the pig roast: New Jersey or New York.

NJ.

you're welcome.

and hey, it's not a pig roast til the cops show up. i hope everything turned out OK.

thanks to everyone, especially our gracious host. you all made this a great big fat success.

and dumpling, i have your purse and all of your money. (actually, jason took your purse...but i pinched the money).

Wow. THANK YOU THANK YOU Jonathan & Nina & kids & cows & chickens & cats (hi, C'nedra...I hope I spelled your name right) & dogs...what a lovely day!

It was so nice to put faces to names and meet you all, terrific group, no?

Fink, your pig meat rocks my world. :cool: You are the COOLEST.

Can we do it again sometime???

K

Edited to add that the jello mold was an absolute work of art. And to correct the spelling of kitty cat's name.

Edited by bergerka (log)

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

It's spelt "C'nedra", the stubborn redhead (redundant?) Imperial Tolnedran Princess, born of a dryad mother, in David Edding's "Belgariad"

Jonathan & Nina White, cheesemakers/bakers

mailto:Jonathan@cowsoutside.com

Bobolink Dairy & Bakeyard

Grass-fed raw milk cheese

Wood-fired rustic breads

Located between Warwick, NY & Vernon, NJ

Our Webpage

A great day! Thanks to all of you who made it a reality. Needless to say the food and drink was outstanding as were the setting and weather. It was a lot of fun to put faces to names.

I arrived home still stuffed, but since I had purchased some of Jonathon's flatbreads, I just had to try them. They were so good I am fully restuffed.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Today was the best. Jonathan and Nina and their kids and their animals and their farm are the best. Fink is the best. Kim WB and Rachel and jhlurie and Jason and Tommy are the best. Everyone else who came is the best, too.

The pigs could make one rethink the need to turn them into bacon. They were the best. There was no best food after the pigs. Because everything else was equally, fabulously delicious -- at least, everything I tasted, which wasn't more then 1/2 of all the offerings. (If you count desserts and healthy stuff like fruit and salad. :raz:) Oh, and the beverages were the best, too.

Varmint may have a more traditional pig roast, but he won't have as many wonderful accompaniments. But his event will be the best, too. :laugh:

One last thought: maybe we should make a t-shirt with a picture of Rachel's Jello mold. It was beautiful beyond belief and should be memorialized.