• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet NJ Pig-BBQ & Potluck, Sunday, 9/21/03

Fat Guy

Two things I learned at the pig roast/pot luck:

First, never bring your 3 year old and your pregnant wife to an event where you'd like to spend time getting to meet people. I barely had time to say hello to any of you let alone have a conversation.

Second, god damn but that Elyse sure can bake a pecanless pecan pie!

I've got pictures. I tried to post them at imagestation. I failed miserably. I will try again tonight when I go home. If it works I will post a link. I am obviously more computer challenged than I thought.

Was Sophia yours? She was the most adorable little thing! Even cuter than the pigs, and definitely cuter than the chickens. :biggrin:

Let's face it, the whole event was just too short. Next time it's got to be from early morning until late night. That way we can talk more, and eat more. :laugh:

edited to add: and drink more, too. :wacko:

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

Two things I learned at the pig roast/pot luck:

First, never bring your 3 year old and your pregnant wife to an event where you'd like to spend time getting to meet people. I barely had time to say hello to any of you let alone have a conversation.

Second, god damn but that Elyse sure can bake a pecanless pecan pie!

I've got pictures. I tried to post them at imagestation. I failed miserably. I will try again tonight when I go home. If it works I will post a link. I am obviously more computer challenged than I thought.

:wub:

Ya know, I'm embarrassed, but I wish there was a picture of this pecan pie (other than when it was IN the round fish bin). The last photo from Suzanne's is out of focus. I WANT A GOOD PIE PICTURE!

Thanks for the nice comments on the cider and sorry for those of you who missed it. We made and brought down 5 gallons and brought home about half that. There were so many good things, it was impossible to try everything. I was so stuffed I didn't even taste that amazing Murano jello.

It was fun making the cider on Saturday. We went out and got about 2.5 bushels of some of the best North Country (New York that is) apples (mcCouns, Macs, galas, golden supremes and cortlands0 and pressed them in our cider press on Saturday. It was a perfect day to do it.

While the cider wasn't hard, I am tempted to make some. Any thoughts on technique?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

...There was cider?

You were practically sitting next to it! It was on the other side of that table with that lovely sangria--at least during the later stages of the affair...

Also, tommy and Steven were gathered around it. :raz:

dbrociner: I suggest PMing Fat Guy, Jason or Rachel Perlow. They may be able to assist you with storing your pictures.

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

...There was cider?

You were practically sitting next to it! It was on the other side of that table with that lovely sangria--at least during the later stages of the affair...

Also, tommy and Steven were gathered around it. :raz:

I was? :blink: Oh. Damn. I must've been distracted by the chickens. I blame it all on the chickens.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

I must've been distracted by the chickens.  I blame it all on the chickens.

Blame it on the motorcycle < s >

THAT WAS IT! I blame it on the motorcycle, the chickens, and the Jets' loss to the Patriots...I mean, really, who could fault me for being distracted with all THAT going on????

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

According to Johnathan, he was given the nickname "Curdnerd" by a sommelier friend of his that went by the moniker "Corkdork."

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

tommy- you look sooooo different from the front.  sorry i didn't get to see/meet you.  was counting migrating hawks :hmmm:

Suzi - you were there in spirit. I noticed a big flock of migrating birds (doubt they were hawks) and said, "Hey look at the big flock of migrating birds, everybody!" (everybody being the 5 or so people sitting near me) "Suzi told us we should keep an eye out for some kind of migrating bird, didn't she?" I said, in between sips of powerfully good sangria ala Rock.

we did have some good migration on sunday. hope you saw something(probably black and turkey vultures but you never know)

ohhhh... thanks rachel - was it white or red sangria. i could have used some. i sooooooooo wanted to be with all of you especially after seeing the rainbow coalition mold you did rachael. something i can't do at all - jello and it was a truly inspirational piece. happy holidays to you, jason and sandy

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

[THAT WAS IT!  I blame it on the motorcycle, the chickens, and the Jets' loss to the Patriots...I mean, really, who could fault me for being distracted with all THAT going on????

K

'scuse me....

don't blame the Pats - the jets lost to them? coollllll.... something to bust the bil about(he is a rabid jets fan, i'm a rational pat fan)

and the Red Sox will win the wild card and beat the Yankees( the only reason i want the yankees to win is because george has challanger - the bald eagle- fly down from the rafters during the national anthem).

ohhhhhh...... what kind of 'cycle? not an indian ?!

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I don't know if we want to consolidate recipes from the BBQ somewhere (and it's debatable whether to what degree this is a recipe), but here goes for Jonathan Sibley's pan-roasted corn:

Corn (Fresh of the raw cob is nice, but I usually use frozen organic supersweet corn from Wholefoods)

Spanish sweet smoked paprika

Cumin (less than the paprika)

Chipotle (less than the cumin)

Salt

Cook it all over a hardwood charcoal fire in some butter, olive oil, or a combination. It's best when some of the corn starts to carmelize a bit.

That's it. Simple, but good.