• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Modernist Bread at Home"

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

got an email from modernist

MB#H is being released.

Amazon :

https://www.amazon.com/Modernist-Bread-Home-Nathan-Myhrvold/dp/173799514X/ref=sr_1_1?crid=II242P1RXWPB&keywords=modernist+bread+at+home&qid=1707325801&sprefix=modernist+bread+at+home%2Caps%2C98&sr=8-1&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

$$  140  , no discount    March 5th

I'm in no hurry

if anyone spots a discount , please mention it on eG

I just saw this.  I didn't buy the original but might bite on this one.  Here's a link to their blog post: Introducing Modernist Bread at Home—Your Guide to Exceptional Homemade Bread

• Like 2

I was reading amazon reviews on Modernist Bread and there were complaints that it lacked an index.  I wrote to them this morning to ask them about this and they reported back that the home version did indeed have an index.  I'm thinking of buying this, but I'm worried some of the ingredients required would, for me, be "odd" items.  Those of you who have the original 5 volume set, can you tell me if that is the case?  When I make bread, I don't want to be thinking I'm in a lab.

Edited to add:  I sent a second note to them asking about the index for Modernist Bread.  They assured me that it is indexed.

Edited by ElsieD
Added a sentence (log)

On 2/12/2024 at 12:20 PM, ElsieD said:

I was reading amazon reviews on Modernist Bread and there were complaints that it lacked an index.  I wrote to them this morning to ask them about this and they reported back that the home version did indeed have an index.  I'm thinking of buying this, but I'm worried some of the ingredients required would, for me, be "odd" items.  Those of you who have the original 5 volume set, can you tell me if that is the case?  When I make bread, I don't want to be thinking I'm in a lab.

Edited to add:  I sent a second note to them asking about the index for Modernist Bread.  They assured me that it is indexed.

Modernist Bread indeed has an index.  People overlook the index because the index is so large...

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/148422-modernist-cuisine-the-art-and-science-of-bread/?do=findComment&comment=2199598

and following posts.

I am making Modernist Bread's French Lean Bread recipe this afternoon.  The ingredients are:

Flour

Water

Salt

Yeast

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 2/13/2024 at 4:20 AM, ElsieD said:

I'm worried some of the ingredients required would, for me, be "odd" items

Most of the recipes in the 5-vol set use only traditional ingredients. So long as you have or can get a good range of flours you'll be fine.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some breads that use advanced chemistry but even the non-traditional things aren't very unusual. You might, if you see a recipe you particularly like, need to get a little dextrose, maltose or diastatic malt powder; that sort of thing -- cheap and easy enough to find. I recall buying bromelain for something. Just skip that one and there are plenty more.

Don't fear needing to buy a chemistry lab, especially if the recipe selection has, as it should, an emphasis on "at home".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I noticed Modernist Cuisine is going to offer a series of email Bread School courses.  They said they will make an announcement when it's available for sign-up, sometime in early March.  In response to questions when they posted this on Facebook, they said that it's not necessary to have either this "At Home" book or the original Modernist Bread in order to follow along. 

To celebrate the launch of Modernist Bread at Home, we're excited to bring you complimentary email courses directly to your inbox starting this March. Our online Bread School will help you navigate making bread in your own kitchen. Whether you're a novice or refining your skills, these courses are tailored to complement our latest cookbook, Modernist Bread at Home. Don’t have a copy yet? No problem – you can still follow along.
HOW IT WORKS
When you sign up, you will receive one lesson per day, with each course consisting of 5-7 lessons starting early March. Courses include recommended tips, insights from the book, and guidance on utilizing Modernist Bread at Home (if you have it). The courses will also include extra materials, such as recipes uploaded to our website, that are related to your course, along with additional information on our blog.
Our upcoming classes will include Getting Started with Baking Bread, Fitting Bread into Busy Schedules, The Role of Different Bread Ingredients, How to Start a Levain and Keep it Alive, and Scoring and Proofing.
Stay tuned for the launch of Course 1: Getting Started with Baking Bread, coming early March. 
If you have any bread-related topics you would like us to cover in future courses, drop them below in our comment section! 

Even though the emails don't require the book, it kind of piques my interest in getting it and might serve as a nudge to actually bake from it! 

I figure I'll sign up for the emails when they become available and if they seem engaging, I'll order the book.  

Edited by blue_dolphin
typo (log)
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Mine still says shipping in March

Couple caveats - 1. My wife ordered directly from the MC site, and 2. she emailed them to see if it would arrive before my birthday (today), which it did. I was really surprised. I told her they weren't shipping out 'til March. Good on her.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Well, Happy Birthday, @Vapre 🎂🎉🎁!  What a great gift!

Thanks, I'll have more time to look through it tomorrow. Ask me anything.

Edit: at work now, will be more useful tomorrow.

Edited by Vapre (log)
  • Like 1

@Vapre. Two questions immediately came to mind:

I read somewhere that the recommend a cast iron baking dish.  Can you tell me something about that?  Also, do they use fresh or dried yeast?  Thanks!

This is what it said on the listed site   ,  I assume they are talking about the lodge combo cooker ,  

• Essential gear for baking bread in a home kitchen. All the tools are easy for home bakers to find. The biggest recommended investment is a $40 cast-iron combination cooker that delivers spectacular results for crisp-crust breads
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Barrytm said:

This is what it said on the listed site   ,  I assume they are talking about the lodge combo cooker ,  

• Essential gear for baking bread in a home kitchen. All the tools are easy for home bakers to find. The biggest recommended investment is a $40 cast-iron combination cooker that delivers spectacular results for crisp-crust breads

Yes, they are talking about the Lodge Combo Cooker.

yeast - “we use instant yeast exclusively in our recipes and recommend you do, too”

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Vapre said:

Yes, they are talking about the Lodge Combo Cooker.

yeast - “we use instant yeast exclusively in our recipes and recommend you do, too”

Thank you!  I hope they recommend another option for the Lodge.  it weighs 13 pounds

29 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Thank you!  I hope they recommend another option for the Lodge.  it weighs 13 pounds

I have that Lodge and while it's heavy, you can usually handle either the bottom or the lid separately, which cuts down on the weight.  Both pieces have a both a main handle and a small helper handle on the other side so you get pretty good control, especially with a good pair of oven mitts. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/21/2024 at 6:04 PM, Vapre said:

It’s shipping before March, my copy arrived yesterday

On 2/27/2024 at 8:09 AM, curls said:

Got an update from Amazon, my copy of the book is scheduled to arrive today!

What are your initial impressions?  Mine is scheduled for delivery on Tuesday and I'm having second thoughts.

@ElsieD

Id stay w your purchase.

these books are not cheap/

there are big heavy books

you will read , and learn a lot from

so well worth them.

I have the bread tome

Ill get this for sure

but am not n a hurry.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

What are your initial impressions?  Mine is scheduled for delivery on Tuesday and I'm having second thoughts.

I am happy with it and am looking forward to reading and cooking from it. Eat Your Books is starting to index the book so you can see a few of the recipes. I'll probably start with the Jewish Rye Bread and some of their brioche recipes. The variants on non-traditional steamed buns look fun too.

Also curious to see what they cover in the free course that will go along with the book. That may influence what I bake.

Edited by curls (log)
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, curls said:

I am happy with it and am looking forward to reading and cooking from it. Eat Your Books is starting to index the book so you can see a few of the recipes. I'll probably start with the Jewish Rye Bread and some of their brioche recipes. The variants on non-traditional steamed buns look fun too.

Also curious to see what they cover in the free course that will go along with the book. That may influence what I bake.

Thank you.  I had a look at the two recipes and am happy to report that there is nothing in them that is unfamiliar to me.  I tried to find some info on the course but could not find anything.  Can you elaborate?