• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLANNING: eGullet Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop 2024

Kerry Beal

9 hours ago, Eat.Choui said:

I would like learn how to make American-style black licorice candy or the ones like Trader Joes carry. Does anyone have experience with that?

Also, fresh fruit Pate de Fruit! 

I made liquorice a few years back for shits and giggles. I'll see if I can find my recipes and notes on that - it doesn't seem to be in my computer cookbook. 

On 3/29/2024 at 12:57 PM, Kerry Beal said:

@Alleguede and I have been talking today - in previous years we have done the show and tell on Friday and the communal dinner on the Saturday. Given the location (ie not downtown Toronto) we have decided that this year we will do both on the Friday night. We will get ourselves down to the new Gouter location - thinking make your own pizza, bunch of apps, maybe BBQ, sundae bar with in-house made ice cream - and the show and tell. 

Then Saturday we can sort our own dinners.

Probably a good time to find out who is vegan, vegetarian or gluten intolerant. 

We have one vegetarian.  I suffer through some gluten sensitivity for Rodney’s pastries!!

On 1/18/2024 at 8:54 PM, Kerry Beal said:

We've got a couple of the Firemixer 14's - maybe you could teach big batch caramel! 

Can you caramelize large batches of nuts in Firemixer 14? If yes is it possible to try that as well? 

@Kerry Beal what other equipment will be available? What tools should we bring?

Is there an automatic tempering machine/Selmi or will be using melters and EZTempers?

Any interest in bringing moulds and other equipment for swaps/sales? I have some moulds that I am no longer using and could bring them along if there is interest.

4 hours ago, curls said:

@Kerry Beal what other equipment will be available? What tools should we bring?

Is there an automatic tempering machine/Selmi or will be using melters and EZTempers?

Any interest in bringing moulds and other equipment for swaps/sales? I have some moulds that I am no longer using and could bring them along if there is interest.

Rodney will drag over 2 Selmi's. 

I'd probably bring any tools you would normally bring - scrapers and such - I don't think they have those things. 

I suspect that there will be an interest in mold swap/sales - most years it's been popular. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/10/2024 at 10:37 AM, RanaMN said:

Can you caramelize large batches of nuts in Firemixer 14? If yes is it possible to try that as well? 

I think so. 

• Like 1

Got a call from the hotel today to let me know the number of rooms booked for each day. Just a heads up that the last day to book is April 30. 

Working on the costs - hope to have it all sorted by early next week.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2024 at 6:44 PM, Kerry Beal said:

I'd probably bring any tools you would normally bring - scrapers and such - I don't think they have those things. 

I suspect that there will be an interest in mold swap/sales - most years it's been popular. 

Sounds like Rodney has superpowers: he can drag two selmis from point A to point B just like that and make killer pastries. I just can't wait to be there with all of you!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Ok - finally got the numbers run - looks like if we don't lose people we can run the workshop for $325 CDN a person and the Friday dinner/show and tell for $35 without any booze. 

CANADIANS - PLEASE DON'T PAY ME THROUGH THE PAYPAL LINK - IT COSTS MONEY TO RETURN IT TO YOU WHICH I HAVE TO DO!  Canadians can send money via interac to kerry (at) the chocolatedoctor (dot) ca

Outside of Canada send via this PayPal link - ignore that it shows 2018 - that's when I made the link initially and I can't change it.  It does reflect the pricing this year though - that part I could update. Where it says 'what's this for - make sure I know who you are/ who and what you are paying for. 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Thanks 1

Me

alleguede 

RobertM

Chocolot 

Sue PEI and sister Jane

Diana D

curls

Dallas

VistaGardens

Eat.Choui

Wendy Peterson

Britney 

Audrey Brown and Melanie

Willow and a promising R handed employee

Gwbyls +1

Anniebakes

RanaNM 

Madam Bonbon 

Delna

Matcha Wizard - aka Jenna

Rob K 

JanM

Omar C

Me

alleguede 

RobertM

Chocolot 

Sue PEI and sister Jane

Diana D

curls

VistaGardens

Eat.Choui

Wendy Peterson

Britney 

Audrey Brown and Melanie

Gwbyls +1

Anniebakes

RanaNM 

Madam Bonbon 

Delna

Rob K 

JanM

Omar C

On 4/9/2024 at 12:24 PM, Audrey Brown said:

We have one vegetarian.  I suffer through some gluten sensitivity for Rodney’s pastries!!

One more gluten free!  

On 4/10/2024 at 11:37 AM, RanaMN said:

We would love to know this as well.  Plus any and all ideas for the Firemixer.  Especially caramel corn.... 

On 4/10/2024 at 8:44 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Great idea regarding the mold swap!!  I'll get busy going through my stash 🙂

• Like 1

Me

alleguede 

RobertM

Chocolot 

Sue PEI and sister Jane

Diana D

curls

VistaGardens

Eat.Choui

Wendy Peterson

Britney 

Audrey Brown and Melanie

Gwbyls +1

Anniebakes

RanaNM 

Madam Bonbon 

Rob K 

JanM

Omar C

I need everyone to get paid up - less than half so far so it is making it difficult for me to start getting supplies laid in.

CANADIANS - PLEASE DON'T PAY ME THROUGH THE PAYPAL LINK - IT COSTS MONEY TO RETURN IT TO YOU WHICH I HAVE TO DO!  Canadians can send money via interac to kerry (at) the chocolatedoctor (dot) ca

Outside of Canada send via this PayPal link - ignore that it shows 2018 - that's when I made the link initially and I can't change it.  It does reflect the pricing this year though - that part I could update. Where it says 'what's this for - make sure I know who you are/ who and what you are paying for. 

Also tomorrow April 30 - is last day for hotel reservations at the rate we were given. 

we will be at the Marriott Four Points on Dixie Rd in Mississauga. 

$159 Cdn per night is the rate - (tax will add about $30 Cdn per night).  When you check in you can purchase breakfast vouchers for $13 per day (they gave us a break from the usual $18). The block is for 20 rooms - half one king, other half two queens. I'm expecting most people to come in on Thursday  but it allows for a couple of people to come in on Wednesday. 

Link to reservations

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Me

alleguede 

RobertM

Chocolot 

Sue PEI and sister Jane

Diana D

curls

VistaGardens

Eat.Choui

Wendy Peterson