• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2024

liuzhou

Black bean sopes from Cool Beans

B110E0C8-D084-4FA2-BF0F-01938593DC67_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.f3602b74eded7994f8fb9c8c3a1239cd.jpeg

I used the red corn masa harina from Masienda and they're filled with a black bean purée, feta cheese, arugula dressed with lime juice and Trader Joe's Green Dragon sauce. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 3

Yesterday, I made a batch of the Fluffy (and crisp) Flatbreads from The Cook You Want to Be by Andy Baraghani so I reheated one, topped it with a thick layer of the black bean purée from yesterday's sopes and some grated pepper jack cheese and put that back into the oven to get all melty. I planned to scramble an egg and make a folded breakfast sandwich but I couldn't resist frying the duck egg instead so I needed a knife and fork but didn't mind.

3AD2EE5C-9DC8-4F74-AC20-C40B2A41D673_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.519cf8781bc3d29ab7ad0e636e210cea.jpeg

With avocado and pico de gallo. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

That flat bread!  Looks wonderful.  After some searching i checked his website where there is a plethora of his recipes including the flat breads.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

That flat bread!  Looks wonderful.  After some searching i checked his website where there is a plethora of his recipes including the flat breads.

The breads are really good, take almost zero effort, require no oven and reheat nicely from the freezer. The yogurt gives them the kind of tang that usually takes a much longer to develop. I'm scooping up some hummus with one right now!

Compared with the online recipe, in the book he gives the option of using melted butter, ghee or olive oil, gives a 60-90 min rise time, has you place the rolled out dough on an oiled sheet pan and flip so both sides get coated and doesn’t put additional oil in the skillet.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the recipe details.  I like the idea of having them ready to go in the freezer.  I usually brush my flatbreads with butter or ghee.

• Like 1

三鲜馄饨 (sān xiān hún tun) - Three delicacy wontons (shrimp, pork, shiitake) with a soy, vinegar, chilli dip.

wontons.thumb.jpg.fbc40bfae716684b5250103095415482.jpg

• Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

A terrible thing is ignorance, the source of endless human woes, spreading a mist over facts, obscuring truth, and casting a gloom upon the individual life. - Lucian of Samosata (born 120, died after 180 CE)

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I reheated a couple of the sopes I made the other day in the CSO and they came out nice and crispy.  Filled with black bean purée, pepper jack cheese, scrambled egg and TJ's Green Dragon hot sauce.

4F261C50-D882-4953-9BDF-7F7D6A88414F_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.9b46577bd806d37f9398d1544ba3a22a.jpeg

Pico de gallo and avocado on the side

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

Gravlax with dill and horseradish mustard, green onion 'pancake', cucumber with chives and a dash of lime habanero sauce.

With a pear in yogurt and a V8.

DSCN2045.thumb.JPG.aeb582d3d57c20ccc16c1b753d598edd.JPG

• Like 6
  • Delicious 3

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Today's breakfast.

ToastedPeamealBaconandTomatosandwichesMay16th2024.thumb.jpg.f7e4dcbfcc98745f63c1c655a3a1181e.jpg

Toasted Peameal Bacon and Tomato sandwich on a homemade kaiser.

One of the few things I miss about living in Ontario is Peameal bacon.  It is common and found

in most grocery stores and butchers.    

Unfortunately isn't found often here on the west coast.

But I finally found a source.   I can't believe that I have never been to this butcher shop before.

One of the best butcher shops I've seen.  

GlenwoodButcherBuyMay15th20241.thumb.jpg.0acb2a4c7777386711e81542e8ca20fb.jpg

Bought oxtails, rack of lamb and peameal bacon yesterday. 

Plan to visit it at least once a month when we make a Victoria Costco run. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

19 minutes ago, Neely said:

Eggs, bacon and tomatoes for breakfast

Lovely. But a slice or two of black pudding would elevate it into perfection. 😆

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

A terrible thing is ignorance, the source of endless human woes, spreading a mist over facts, obscuring truth, and casting a gloom upon the individual life. - Lucian of Samosata (born 120, died after 180 CE)

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Breakfast wrap of eggs scrambled with finger and shishito peppers, green onion and cilantro.

I've been playing around with various ways of making these wraps so this one starts with a WW tortilla in a dry pan, flip and apply pepper jack and sauteed mushrooms, and remove when cheese melted.

A layer of shredded romaine, eggs added and rolled.

Pear on the side.

DSCN2050.thumb.JPG.bf659b55122afc0080b6d262c9125d98.JPG

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

I tried a recipe for Flatbreads with Beet Yogurt and Jammy Eggs from Ali Slagle's I Dream of Dinner.  Interesting and I got a veg in my breakfast but not something I need to repeat. 

356066B1-3A40-4D18-AA17-CD4CD7565028_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.37d5d4295d055b038ff53eb9eb36f631.jpeg

Raw beet, jalapeño and lime zest are grated into yogurt and mixed with lime juice, ground coriander, salt & pepper, topped with a boiled egg and fresh mint and scooped up with a flatbread.  I added a sprinkle of dukkah. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Man size breakfast.
I had intended to grill this steak for two last night and didn't.
image.thumb.png.ba4f9c07dea731793d82b6308f9d788c.png
So I grilled it this morning and made Moe a skillet breakfast with fried eggs, fried potatoes with onions and a grilled tomato.

image.png.9393740526c77af5d259fc6a7ce41f13.png
Just to be honest, he didn't eat that whole steak. Just a thick slice.
The rest is destined for a steak sandwich.
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 2

@Ann_T

oh WoW !

surprised.gif.950a9e3813611e9d5598de426d18f92b.gif

you are costing me monet  !

Im going to have to buy a new Mac!

with a much faster processor .

Soooo  many food p0rn folders 

new sub folder  in the Roast Beef folder

"""  French Dips  """

the above is the first entry.

FD's are at the very top of the sandwich mountain.

thanks !