• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

it's very true - the cut of meat aka "steak" used for 'the genuine article' is highly debatable.

however comma and so forth . . . near froze, sliced thin, salted . . . it's also very difficult to discern 'prime filet' from a well trimmed out 'chuck'

. . . . pretty sure Steak-Um's are not . . . .

my favorite "Phila Cheesesteak" story . . . Warsaw, Indiana - on the menu - came out as what many would identify as a

"breakfast steak" - not sliced, not nothing - just a thin petite chunk of beef . .

. . . on a hamburger bun

with a slab of cheese . . .

people say you have to laugh or cry, I was hungry so I just ate it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

@Norm Matthews

the best home-made Phila Steak/Cheesesteak I've come up with is simply the "Steak-Ums" product on a decent roll plus adds.

one has to pre-prep/cook the onions and peppers, add that to hot beef piled in a roll. 

DW then pours the grease/fat from the Steak-Ums prep onto the rolls . . something about 'essential' . . . she's from Bal-mor....

not 'the real thing' - but pretty dang close.

OMG are you in Reading or somewhere?

Steak-ums are NOTHING like what goes in a cheesesteak in the city.  Greasy mystery meat. 

Shave sirloin or rib eye ...griddle hot and fast...chop up as it cooks...finish on top of the onions as they cook.  Place sliced american or prov on the meat and melt it with the roll on top. Flip it over and eat.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 3

i guess we all have biases about certain foods, especially if it is our home food.  I have ordered Kansas City Bar Be Cue in places nowhere near KC and get meat that has not been grilled or smoked, just pan fried and completely hidden under a ton of sauce.  I once ordered Korean pork at a chain restaurant and it came with brown sugar and pineapple in it.

• Like 1

I started a few doughs on Monday. Four to be exact. All the same. 500g of flour, 2g of yeast, 8g of salt and 330g of water. (66%).
After the last stretch and fold, dough went into the fridge and was taken out today.
Dough was divided into one 500g ball and one that was around 330gs.
ThreeCheeseGarlicpizzaMattsSeptember4th20241.thumb.jpg.dfd5f3500f90fb78e1f91b474066f6e7.jpg
Matt used the larger piece to make his 17" three cheese pizza with garlic.
ThreeCheeseGarlicpizzaMattsSeptember4th2024.thumb.jpg.fed7096769fb804b15e68f2a021d571f.jpg

He baked his on the steel on the bottom rack, at 550°F.
ItalianSausageandMushroomPizza2daydoughSeptember4th20241.thumb.jpg.0bc547ca2de7a5660e4969c70a100b79.jpg

And I used the other piece to make Moe and I a small Italian Sausage and Mushroom pizza.

ItalianSausageandMushroomPizza2daydoughSeptember4th20242.thumb.jpg.d95b745ad9090ef802d5f27bd037f16a.jpg
I baked ours a little later, on a stone that is just 7" or 8" from the broiler, using the Jim Lahey's method.
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 6

Partner heads out to hunting camp tomorrow, so tonight was elk steaks and caramelized brussel sprouts with chili crisp. (Tomorrow- curry!!)

20240904_180702.thumb.jpg.34dfa3dd6b07eafa579e8443a999d15d.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Hunter, fisherwoman, gardener and cook in Montana.

Love this easy meal: Spicy Shrimp and Cheesy grits.
Grits are expensive and hard to find here, so I have friends bring it up when they go across the border.

SpicyShrimpsCheesyGrits6414.jpg.f25e37964d01a58f8adee7d95a430fa7.jpg                                                     

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Smashburger eggplant parm. with a side of eggplant with Orlando mild Giardiniera  -  made smash burger which went in between the eggplant,  had onions and caramelized shallots,  asiago and parm, with  home-made garden  sauce

image.thumb.png.b01cca7886ea405e0e4f93185b78cf32.png

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

Its good to have Morels

Shrimp with garlic, ginger, chilli, 郫县辣豆瓣酱 (pí xiàn là dòu bàn jiàng), Shaoxing wine, slivered sugar snap peas. Rice.

The peas were barely cooked. That's how I prefer them, but had I been cooking for others, I may have done them a bit more.

Sugarsnapprawns.thumb.jpg.f3fceba564999dc5a77a14d62ce78276.jpg

• Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

Before we work on artificial intelligence, why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

A couple of dinners using fish I brought back from Cape Cod.  Green coconut curry with cod cheeks and rice

greencoconutcurrycod.thumb.jpg.7db053cf85d2e65d5148d0db50824fcb.jpg

Herb marinated roasted halibut with creamy corn and roasted red pepper coulis

cilantrohalibut.thumb.jpg.00ca2f9d5102c8350e70f3fc772dc6ae.jpg

• Like 1