• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

28 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

@Shel_B, just realized the brand isn't showing in the photo. It is Ritika's.

image.thumb.png.a233b96f263b34c985ec2ee8e1780cc5.png

image.thumb.png.23fcb5e63771290af0781c3a612f2e0b.png

We use this same rice, its got a nice flavor (if one likes cilantro) and is easy to chuck into the micro at the last moment. Costco sells it by the 8(?) pack box.  Its a quick go-to addition for any Mexican-ish meals for us. (Enchiladas, burrito bowls etc)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hunter, fisherwoman, gardener and cook in Montana.

51 minutes ago, YvetteMT said:

We use this same rice, its got a nice flavor (if one likes cilantro) and is easy to chuck into the micro at the last moment. Costco sells it by the 8(?) pack box.  Its a quick go-to addition for any Mexican-ish meals for us. (Enchiladas, burrito bowls etc)

I'll see if my Costco carries it.  Thank you.

Added later: A number of local stores other than Costco carry this item.  👏

Edited by Shel_B
Additional information (log)
  • Like 2

... Shel

Our back-yard neighbors gave us sone tomatoes so I told Charlie that I was going to make Pico de Gallo with a couple of them.  He said "lets have tacos with it then" I said OK and headed to the Mesican grocery because their avocados are ripe enough to use the same day and you can't rely on getting them like that anywhere else.  While I was there, I decided to get some of their Pico de Gallo because I didn't feel like making both Guacamole and a salsa before making the tacos. Also Pico de Gallo is better the next day. I'll make some tomorrow and see if I like theirs better.  I am pretty sure garden fresh tomatoes will be really good for as long as they last.  I've never had good luck with growing my own.

IMG_1761.jpg

IMG_1763.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 5

I love it when the Chinese elders in our community give me fresh vegetables. A big kolhrabi made wonderful soup with a couple of slices of carrot and pork neck bones.

Enjoyed that one evening, then augmented with a package of fresh lily bulbs for another meal:

LilyBulbSoup6151.jpg.ecf9eb0214b9b331e41dc946214dd331.jpg\

Picked up a single rib roast and supper was ready with new potatoes, corn on the cob, and green beans from another Chinese elder's garden.

PrimeRibfreshveg6156.jpg.a11e708996b372c66812f42a6c415729.jpg|

Breaded scallops, air fryer carrots, leftover chips and more green beans for supper tonight.

ScallopsVeg6177.jpg.980a55dd9020db23f3b33e7c605f089e.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Time for some BLT. My 2024 version, YMMV🙂

Bad year for home grown tomatoes due to weather, but there is always a need for BLTs.

My BLTs:

B - Bacon is what BLT all about. You need a massive amount of B. But we know what B can do to your waist line and arteries. So lots of fat is rendered off or cut off, leaving lots of guilt-free lean crispy  meat which has the most B flavor.

L - Pick the best leaves from your lettuce garden. Make sure there is not one drop of water on the leaves.

T - You will have more than one BLT, right? So you need Green, yellow, red, pink, black --- tomatoes. Lots of tomatoes could mean soggy BLTs. 1/2 dehydrated tomatoes slices to make them less watery and concentrated flavor.

B - Bread is obviously important. Toasted white bread is not the right texture and flavor for me. Naan bread is what I prefer.

Lets see your versions 😊😋

dcarch

BLT62024e.thumb.jpg.1bf044bb1988ea2fcfa2836e37fdb03d.jpg

BLT62024c.thumb.jpg.983ecfcf2a3b793d942ddf1b3bd32473.jpg

BLT62024a.thumb.jpg.09ece79c64ff1fcbecf2fb1e63aa54b7.jpg

BLT72024a.thumb.jpg.348c7e5558e45c41a582f623db0a0b06.jpg

BLT72024b.thumb.jpg.8caf009881476edb5b6e0c61dd9de90f.jpg

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Maison Rustique

I love that TJ's tarte  

reminds me of France .

I was never able to cook it properly , though.

I haven't had a problem before, but I did this one in the toaster oven and the center of the crust never cooked properly but it was going to burn the rest of it if I left it in longer. Partly my cheap toaster oven, I'm sure. Just didn't want to fire up the regular oven on a hot day.

• Like 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

30 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

I haven't had a problem before, but I did this one in the toaster oven and the center of the crust never cooked properly but it was going to burn the rest of it if I left it in longer. Partly my cheap toaster oven, I'm sure. Just didn't want to fire up the regular oven on a hot day.

I've had good results by letting the tart defrost before cooking in the countertop oven. YMMV

• Like 1

... Shel

13 hours ago, dcarch said:

Time for some BLT. My 2024 version, YMMV🙂

Bad year for home grown tomatoes due to weather, but there is always a need for BLTs.

My BLTs:

B - Bacon is what BLT all about. You need a massive amount of B. But we know what B can do to your waist line and arteries. So lots of fat is rendered off or cut off, leaving lots of guilt-free lean crispy  meat which has the most B flavor.

L - Pick the best leaves from your lettuce garden. Make sure there is not one drop of water on the leaves.

T - You will have more than one BLT, right? So you need Green, yellow, red, pink, black --- tomatoes. Lots of tomatoes could mean soggy BLTs. 1/2 dehydrated tomatoes slices to make them less watery and concentrated flavor.

B - Bread is obviously important. Toasted white bread is not the right texture and flavor for me. Naan bread is what I prefer.

Lets see your versions 😊😋

dcarch

BLT62024e.thumb.jpg.1bf044bb1988ea2fcfa2836e37fdb03d.jpg

BLT62024c.thumb.jpg.983ecfcf2a3b793d942ddf1b3bd32473.jpg

BLT62024a.thumb.jpg.09ece79c64ff1fcbecf2fb1e63aa54b7.jpg

BLT72024a.thumb.jpg.348c7e5558e45c41a582f623db0a0b06.jpg

BLT72024b.thumb.jpg.8caf009881476edb5b6e0c61dd9de90f.jpg

Did BLTs recently with beef bacon but didn't post. I usually avoid pork streaky bacon and use the short-cut, which I guess you would call Canadian bacon, or back bacon, or pea bacon, or something.

Agree that the right tomatoes are vital. Haven't tried dehydrated ones.

Found a weird recipe for a vegan bacon substitute that I want to try next. Because, why not?

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

10 hours ago, haresfur said:

Did BLTs recently with beef bacon but didn't post. I usually avoid pork streaky bacon and use the short-cut, which I guess you would call Canadian bacon, or back bacon, or pea bacon, or something.

Agree that the right tomatoes are vital. Haven't tried dehydrated ones.

Found a weird recipe for a vegan bacon substitute that I want to try next. Because, why not?

I've use dehydrated tomatoes on pizza.  They are sweet. Charlies ex once described them as almost like candy.  When I don't want tomatoes to make my sandwich or salad watery, though, I just take out the seeds.

• Like 4

Pork and straw mushrooms with herbs, Shaoxing, garlic, chilli, fermented black beans, soy sauce, hoisin sauce. Rice.

porkandstrawmushrooms.thumb.jpg.d211dfa0a3b96b6a2340d09f5471d392.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

Before we work on artificial intelligence, why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Enjoying a bounty of Romano Beans!

Cooked some up last night with Fuyu (fermented tofu) - a family favourite.

Topped it with stir-fried ginger and chicken breast. Lots of rice needed!

GingerChickenRomanoBeans6188.jpg.6204da7bae3f370bb6dad865efdc24fc.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I picked up 8 little lamb chops on our latest app for Safeway/ Sobeys: Foodhero, where items posted are 50% off.
So far, it's been main fish, but I got lucky yesterday.
The chops were about 1/2 " thick, so would have made a good size meal for 2. However, we had the granddaughters for the day, and our son came at 7 to pick them up.
Girls had Wendy's Kids Meal, so I just had to change my lamb chops to stir-fry to feed the 3 of us.

I can't believe I paid more for that extra order of fries ($4.99) than for a Kids Meal ($2.99)!

Cumin lamb stir-fry with bell peppers, onions, and fresh mint. Eaten with Basmati rice. Did the job!

CuminLambStir-fry6203.jpg.7707a725bfde858527d3714a7b1eda2b.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Back from holiday to my husbands spaghetti bolognaise with a tasty shaved Parmesan. It was a good tasting bolognaise, and I asked him how he made it. He said extra brown onions and no herbs. He couldn’t find the oregano. 

9F64D3B4-D8BD-46AD-AF7C-E5CF73F0A07E.jpeg.d12c4dca42e8f0ef746657a4a08fda88.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

My food-gifting friend brought me smoked Italian sausage and country-style beef ribs because I mentioned I was craving BBQ. So I had a bit of both last night with some potatoes, arugula, tomato, butter and German potato salt.

image.thumb.png.86e5fe5af40ac40998ad3353980fba79.png

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

Deb

Liberty, MO