• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

Eggplant and Lamb with Yogurt topping thanks to Yotam Ottolenghi.  

This one's a keeper!  My convection oven here in AZ gives us those 'crispy bits' we crave.  Recipe said serves 4 to 6.  I'd say more like a dinner party for 8.  Not complaining.....happy to eat this every night for a week!

I ended up making it in a toss-away turkey roasting pan which are ubiquitous now in US.  EZ clean-up/  

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1020154-eggplant-lamb-and-yogurt-casserole

otto1.jpeg

otto2.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gulfporter said:

I ended up making it in a toss-away turkey roasting pan which are ubiquitous now in US.  EZ clean-up/  

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1020154-eggplant-lamb-and-yogurt-casserole

otto1.jpeg

otto2.jpeg

Nice.

The pan is probably better for this than a heavy turkey anyway

• Like 2

When I was in college, Marathon Deli was my favorite place to eat near campus. The restaurant was run by a Greek family, all with flaming red hair. Still there, lo these many decades later, but moved around the corner.

I ordered two old favorites, gyro and carrot cake. They seem to be using the same recipes - the carrot cake had a lovely, lemony, not-too-sweet icing, and the gyro was dressed with a sauce somewhere between tzatziki and creamed feta cheese. Nothing tastes quite as good as memories, but this came pretty close.

But sadly, no more red-haired Greeks.

Marathon_deli2.thumb.jpg.8893fc0f6629f435f3c5fa53ea2dc227.jpg

Marathon_deli.thumb.jpg.6ceef3b3c8114cbb052d52850985cc92.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 2

@Smithy No, neither of those. I'll see if I can find it on Facebook.

My Medicare provider sends free meals after you've been in the hospital. Just tried one. They arrive fresh but you can freeze for longer storage. I am impressed with the varieties they sent. Just had this one. Was it great? No but it wasn't the worst thing ever either. Broccoli was crunchy and flavorful. And it was more than I could eat!

image.thumb.png.2a14a3fdc2eb6e0790056e35a7f7e0c3.png
image.thumb.png.1e1e733d86a47d53aba111807e6fafae.png
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

Here is the Tomolive recipe. Whoever I got it from was the person who had them at Temple Bar.

Tomolives
If tomatoes are larger, cut in half or quarters. If small, make a couple of holes or slits in them so the brine gets inside. Pack the tomatoes snugly into a jar. Add 4 cloves garlic and a tsp of pickling spice. Bring ¼ c. salt, a pint of Heinz white pickling vinegar, and a pint of water to a boil. Pour over tomatoes, let cool, and store in the fridge. The Temple Bar in Manhattan served an "old South martini," garnished with tomolives, which is where I first had them. They're also great in bloody marys.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Deb

Liberty, MO

I found a 2014 recipe on my computer from a really nice lady and very good cook from NOLA for New Orleans style shrimp. More than half way through the recipe, it wasn't working so I looked up the original from Chef Jared Besh and discovered a cup of oyster liquor missing so I had to make some changes in the recipe but it still turned out well.  One thing that helped the taste  was using wild caught Gulf shrimp. I had never noticed that kind before and it was much better tasting than what is usually available here in Kansas. It brought back memories of what shrimp used to taste like a long time ago.  If they continue to carry them, I will have to get one of those shrimp tools for shelling and deveining. It was no small chore to do them all by hand.

IMG_1881.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

I will have to get one of those shrimp tools for shelling and deveining.

I use a small straight scissors for that. I just run it along the back of the shrimp deep enough to cut the shell and the vein. Then all I have to do is spread the shell and wipe out the vein and I'm finished.

• Like 5

Grilled cheese, tomato and bacon sandwich, thanks to my panini press. The bacon had been cooked on said press some weeks before, then stored in the freezer. Lettuce and sauerkraut were added after the sandwich had been pressed and heated to the point of melty cheese and browned ridges.

20241020_192852.jpg

By that time, some of the cheese had oozed out (as you can see) but most was still inside the sandwich. Here's what passes for a money shot, given my life these days:

20241020_194348.jpg

A year ago I'd never have guessed this would be a filling -- almost overly filling -- meal. I've learned that a small dinner, slowly cooked and eaten, is more than plenty. And I'm down 25 pounds because (mostly) of that change.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

4 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

If they continue to carry them, I will have to get one of those shrimp tools for shelling and deveining. It was no small chore to do them all by hand.

_20241021105426.thumb.jpg.25d6d5d122c43a91afc380bbc9ccfddd.jpg

I'd send you a set of these if you weren't on the other side of the world. I have about ten of each. A couple of years ago I was in the habit of buying live, wild caught shrimp online from the nearby seaport city. Every delivery, they included another set.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Typical for us…roast lamb for dinner on Sunday evening. Roasted only to quite pink and do you know, I like the meat better a little more cooked not grey and dry of course but just a bit more than that top piece shows.
Peas, carrots and roast potatoes with mince sauce and gravy.
32E3D0FF-763E-469E-82D2-18DD9AE369C5.jpeg.b6df4990103b4f0ace3a806bdcc33aa0.jpeg
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1