• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2024

liuzhou

Pizette fritte ,uncooked  tomato sauce and mozzarella.

Green olive tapenade made with Castelvetrano olives, pistachios, garlic, capers, evoo.

i used TJ’s pizza dough for the fried pizza, made 6 from the pound of dough, this is the second time I’ve made these pizzas, they take about two minutes per side.

Avocado  and evoo were the frying oils. 

IMG_6407.png

IMG_6408.jpeg

IMG_6405.png

• Like 4
  • Delicious 3

I had some spinach and some Campari tomatoes

what were getting a little tired :

IMG_46642.thumb.jpeg.ec1711458a10bca2ac0c51c4f7ade5c9.jpeg

kimchi and Tj's sauerkraut w come citrus miso   Tj's dried tart cherries , and some chopped walnuts 

added some mini shredded wheat  freshly ground black pepper ( Penzey's Extra bold )

IMG_46662.thumb.jpeg.f9c8ea48f3911e0672a9fc17ea849cd1.jpeg

turned out well .

I should have added the MSW to a bowl and mixed them into the salad.

they absorb some of the salad Jus that way .  mix them up right at serving so they retain 90 % of their crunch.

over all , a very nice rescue this was.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 7

Swiss chard tart today with garlic, pistachios, black oil cured olives, yellow rains.This was added to a mix of ricotta, eggs and pecorino.  Baked about 30 minutes until golden brown; heirloom tomatoes on the side.

IMG_7415.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I got a couple donabes for me and the Ms. This one is a mille feuille with cabbage and thin-sliced pork belly, simmered in a dashi broth.

IMG_20241004_132126199.jpg

IMG_20241004_135412118~3.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Sunshine Pasta:  I call it that because of the lovely yellow color.  The sauce is EVOO from a friend's grove, yellow heirloom tomatoes (probably the last of the year) from the Berkeley farmers' market, a little garlic, some Calabrian peppers. Pasta is DeCecco Mezzi Rigatoni.  I'm starting to love the shape as it allows the tubes to be filled with sauce, especially if somewhat chunky, and I really enjoy the way it feels in my mouth.

SunshinePasta.jpg.07828d443581b6a9638c03afbf526423.jpg

• Like 5

... Shel

After having BBQ sausages last night, the left overs were rolled up in zucchini pancakes which made quite a good lunch. There’s a dollop of tomato chutney as well. 

IMG_2846.jpeg.813e7755569bfbd0b56bd0f2c9ef9798.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 3

17 hours ago, YvetteMT said:

I would pay good money for those potatoes!

I found a method that works. Local little ones are steamed, then immediately cut in half, brushed with veg oil and roasted in cast iron at 375 for 15min, shake, then until browned. The outside are crusty and the inside like pillows

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

I did not prepare these, but since they were consumed close to lunch time, I'm calling it lunch. Local baker only open Friday and Saturday 10am-2pm (or until sold out), you can check her out on Instagram @piegirlnj.

She makes some more unusual combinations of flavors, but not too "out there", sweets and savories. Some photos attached from the shop along with my take out box.

I got a slice of pear/frangipane pie; cranberry maple scone; Italian plum torte (the Marion Burros type).

The scone had outrageous crust, it was verging on well-done, which I love. The plum torte was delish. The pie crust was slightly tough, if I'm being nit-picky. But for $6 a pop, I'm entitled to say it.

pie box.jpg

pie1.jpg

pie2.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Keto moussaka. Minced lamb, beef, onions, cinnamon, cumin, sliced eggplant, purreed tomatoes. Used mozzarella and "cașcaval" (Balkan yellow cheese) instead of the Bechamel.

image.thumb.png.5e167e81422737aa2e8ead44d71789ee.png

Edited by zend (log)
  • Like 11

I haven't had these in more than a decade. They were somewhat of a staple in our home when I was a kid. I didn't know they were still in business. They're not as tasty or texturally satisfying as I recall, and they weren't that great when I was 13 years old, either. But there they were, on an end display in the market this morning, and I just had to try 'em. I'm good for another decade ...

Entemans.jpg.c7e114f0eaec7d8740505c6cc3a50c2b.jpg

Edited by Shel_B
typo (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

... Shel

21 minutes ago, Shel_B said:

I haven't had these in more than a decade. They were somewhat of a staple in our home when I was a kid. I didn't know they were still in business. They're not as tasty or texturally satisfying as I recall, and they weren't that great when I was 13 years old, either. But there they were, on an end display in the market this morning, and I just had to try 'em. I'm good for another decade ...

Entemans.jpg.c7e114f0eaec7d8740505c6cc3a50c2b.jpg

Same with me - we used to have them every Friday night when my parents went out for dinner without us and we stayed home with a babysitter.  Several years ago I was experimenting with a chocolate filled with what my memory was of Twinkie filling, which I hadn't had in 20 years.  So beforehand, I broke down and bought one and the filling was very different from my memory - I remembered it being light and fuffy, when in fact it was greasy and unpleasant.

3 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Same with me - we used to have them every Friday night when my parents went out for dinner without us and we stayed home with a babysitter.  Several years ago I was experimenting with a chocolate filled with what my memory was of Twinkie filling, which I hadn't had in 20 years.  So beforehand, I broke down and bought one and the filling was very different from my memory - I remembered it being light and fuffy, when in fact it was greasy and unpleasant.

Do you think your taste has changed or that the product has changed?  For mself, I think it may be some of both.

• Like 1

... Shel

4 minutes ago, Shel_B said:

Do you think your taste has changed or that the product has changed?  For mself, I think it may be some of both.

I honestly couldn't tell you. I'm sure my tastes have changed - I don't like things nearly as sweet as I used to just for starters.  Part of me thinks that the Twinkie filling probably hasn't changed in 30 years but without a time machine, or a former Hostess employee, I would have no way of knowing for sure.

I dunno the last time I had Entemenns, let alone a twinkie. At least 20 years for either. 

Lunch today- salad with romaine, ski ham, onion, green olives,  red pepper, hb eggs. Ranch. 

20241012_140828.thumb.jpg.1d396b418cd5d995433aea820257e35a.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Hunter, fisherwoman, gardener and cook in Montana.