• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2024

liuzhou

Feliz Día de (México0 Independencia!!

Today's lunch was seared sesame crusted tuna in a flour tortilla with wasabi mayo, pickled red onions and native (not Haas) avocado.  

tunataco2.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 3

Saute chorizo and remove. Saute shrimp and remove. Saute bird chiles, garlic, and shallots with green beans. Add crushed tomato and spices and reduce. Return shrimp and chorizo to the pan, and simmer with half-and-half. Feta cheese. I wish we had cilantro.

Shrimp_shorizo_GB_202409.thumb.jpg.ab90b1871ad1a5811a0bbb6c7eec4c29.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Fresh ground pork (while I watch) and small-batch locally made Kimchi for burgers.  I buy the gochujang in US and "import" to my MXN home.  I have bought gochujang via Amazon Mexico but it's got a big markup. 

pork.jpeg

kim.jpeg

gochu.jpeg

burger.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 3

Been dying to have this for a while...

PXL_20240922_164517797.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.1325ad3982817886d1d32c6ea4176e0f.jpg

Singapore style chicken rice.  My chilli sauce came out really good. I cooked the chicken in some master stock sv at 150F but next time I'd try 140 or 145.  Also the rice's fragrance was really good but texture was a little hard - next time needs a bit more liquid.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Traditional Moules Marinière (ie made with cider rather than wine). Unfortunately, I can't find French cider here but managed to get a Belgian lambic apple beer as mentioned here. It worked well, though not so dry as the real thing.

So, garlic and shallot were softened in butter, cider added followed by the green-lipped mussels then covered and left a few minutes till the mussels open then added parsley and served with crusty bagette.  The broth was excellent and mussels always are anyway! Happy mouth.

Vive la France!

_20240924120353.thumb.jpg.1c62160a138b6c3d3d8d2e7ec5104d6b.jpg

• Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

As long as they're still catching tuna off shore, I'm going to make my now favorite lunch - seared Blue Fin belly with Japanese pickles and kkakgudi, cubed daikon kim chi

IMG_20240925_142403649~2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Inspired by @C. sapidus, I made this delicious lunch of zucchini with mojo de ajo. So good! I added a little sprinkle of outrage of love (which seems to be Penzey’s take on tajin). 

zucchini with mojo de ajo

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)