• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

high temp cheese?

DougL

So I'd like to get some high temperature cheese.The stuff that doesn't melt below 400F. Very easy to get it online, but where in the world do you get it locally?

I want to drive up, pay some cash, and come away with a pound of it. Cheddar? Mozz? Doesn't matter much. Is there a specific VARIETY of cheese that is high temp?

I'm in Austin, if you know your way around here.

The only hi-temp cheese I can think of is  halloumi.  I don't know about Austin, but here in NYC it's available in a standard grocery store with a decent cheese department or a Middle Eastern store.

3 hours ago, KennethT said:

The only hi-temp cheese I can think of is  halloumi.  I don't know about Austin, but here in NYC it's available in a standard grocery store with a decent cheese department or a Middle Eastern store.

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

Paneer comes to mind; if you have some Indian groceries around that would be my first place to visit.

I'd even check Trader Joe's for either of these recommendations (or for both).

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I accidentally picked up a block of vegan Monterey Jack awhile back. You couldn't have melted it with a blowtorch. I wouldn't recommend it for anything, but if you want a cheese that won't melt, vegan cheese might be something to check into.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, cdh said:

Go to Central Market and ask them what grilling cheeses they have. 

Great idea. Fried cheese is a big thing in Costa Rica and they have several varieties that are good. Living in Houston you should be able to find a good Mexican market that would have something similar.

20 hours ago, DougL said:

So I'd like to get some high temperature cheese.The stuff that doesn't melt below 400F.

Could you expand on this a bit? From what I understand, there is no cheese that doesn't melt below 400F, but does melt above it.  Either you have cheeses that melt, or you have cheeses that never melt, like the ones being recommended above.  What application are you using this in?

Thanks. Central Market is where I'll try next. Trader Joe's is an option as well. I've heard of Halloumi. That's a good idea. Also the term "grilling cheese" is perhaps useful.

To those who don't think there is such a cheese, that won't melt below 400F, you need to do a little research.

http://pearlscheese.com/?page_id=2

https://waltons.com/categories/high-temperature-cheese

https://www.wisconsincheesemart.com/products/hi-temp-cheddar

I'm also seeing that queso blanco doesn't melt, and is a suitable frying cheese. But our HEB grocery (Texas) sells a "queso blanco easy-melt". What the !@#$%^? Also,I see recipes for queso blanco dip that are made with, um, regular cheese, and you make it by melting it. What the !@#$%^&? This is confusing. Apparently there is a queso blanco STYLE of cheese,and a real queso blanco cheese.

53 minutes ago, DougL said:

I'm also seeing that queso blanco doesn't melt, and is a suitable frying cheese. But our HEB grocery (Texas) sells a "queso blanco easy-melt". What the !@#$%^? Also,I see recipes for queso blanco dip that are made with, um, regular cheese, and you make it by melting it. What the !@#$%^&? This is confusing. Apparently there is a queso blanco STYLE of cheese,and a real queso blanco cheese.

Queso Blanco just means 'white cheese', so can be many different cheeses. The cheese sold under that name in Mexico etc is just one, albeit popular type.

Queso blanco (white cheese) is much used all over South America. It varies from country to country, but in general it is a fresh cheese made from whole or skimmed cow’s milk, crumbly in texture and rather heavily salted. If pressed to consolidate it, it is known as queso de prensa (pressed cheese). Some of this is aged until very hard and is used for grating.

Oxford Companion to Food

What is "regular cheese"? That depends where you are.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto