• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Concentrated broth

MaryIsobel

I have been buying this lately rather than the 1 litre boxes of broth. Of course homemade is always better but one doesn't always have that on hand. This takes up much less space, somtimes, if I don't need four cups - I throw the concentrate in the freezer.

broth - 1.jpeg

• Like 4

I've never seen that item before.

We've been using Better Than Bouillon for a while now.  It certainly doesn't take up any room.  Mostly I keep an assortment of chicken pieces in the freezer and make broth.  

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I just checked my online grocery store and it is available but I also use Better Than Bouillon and usually use the vegetarian version even when chicken/beef is called for. It just seems tastier to me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The best products of this type are made by More Than Gourmet. They come in small 1.5oz pucks or in a 16oz tub, the latter of which will make 5 gallons of stock. That's 19 liters. But I never use it that way... I just add it to stocks, stews, or sauces to enrich the flavor and add body. It's very high in gelatin, and sets up *very* firm in the fridge, where it keeps basically forever. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, btbyrd said:

The best products of this type are made by More Than Gourmet.

I bought a shit-ton of these at the beginning of lockdown; lots of different flavors to play with.

But after using them for a while, you do get the sense that everything tastes sort of the same, maybe?

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Maybe. I don't know, I've just tried the chicken, beef, and veal products. I usually keep a roast chicken one on hand and either a beef one (like glace de viande) or veal demi glace. If you use them kind of straightforwardly for pan sauces, I suppose they can taste similar because they're all reductions made from roasted bones. But the veal demi is probably the most neutral, followed by the chicken. The beef one I usually buy is roaster and meatier tasting than those two, but is still in a similar ballpark.

I like them mostly because they're reductions of well made, gelatinous stock that isn't full of yeast extract and hydrolyzed soy protein or whatever. That stuff is fine, but if I'm buying stock, I'd rather buy actual stock than water that's been tarted up with exogenous glutamatic acid and had a chicken waved over it.

• Like 3

Thanks for the reminder on More than Gourmet, they usually have it at my local supermarket and it will come in handy for enhancing some chicken soup I need to make for Passover.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

1 hour ago, BeeZee said:

Thanks for the reminder on More than Gourmet, they usually have it at my local supermarket and it will come in handy for enhancing some chicken soup I need to make for Passover.

As if your (or my) bubbe would ever...

4 hours ago, btbyrd said:

If you use them kind of straightforwardly for pan sauces, I suppose they can taste similar because they're all reductions made from roasted bones. But the veal demi is probably the most neutral, followed by the chicken. The beef one I usually buy is roaster and meatier tasting than those two, but is still in a similar ballpark.

I like them mostly because they're reductions of well made, gelatinous stock that isn't full of yeast extract and hydrolyzed soy protein or whatever. That stuff is fine, but if I'm buying stock, I'd rather buy actual stock than water that's been tarted up with exogenous glutamatic acid and had a chicken waved over it.

I just checked my pantry and found a well-expired assorted 6 pack! I guess I went through a phase due to reasons beyond my control.

These are undoubtedly more "natural" than Better than Bouillon's stuff.... 

image.png.459d63d6638b771632846b78c8b51964.png

However, I still find a flavor profile that is distinctly not "home cooking," if that makes any sense.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Since I seem to use "boat"loads of chicken broth, lots more than I can easily create at home, I have been using Swanson's version of the OPs concentrate.    Really handy, proper portions for us.    And a pretty hefty but neutral flavor.    ie., no extraneous spices or herbs.    I like this product.

re reliance on these concentrates, powder or liquid, while I rely on them, I have to agree that they can become the shadow flavor profile of your cooking if not used judiciously.

eGullet member #80.

8 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

re reliance on these concentrates, powder or liquid, while I rely on them, I have to agree that they can become the shadow flavor profile of your cooking if not used judiciously.

I noticed that too and went more neutral, relying on the taste of the ingredients. Re-introduced as you note, judiciously. It was like the crutch of cream when I first started cooking. Tastes good but flavors get blurred.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Niece came home with Sonoma Kitchen chicken broth concentrate. She used it in risotto I used a touch in a vegetabe soup. It smels like a homemade stock. Pretty decent when there is no carcass availability.  https://www.instacart.com/products/24660767-the-sonoma-kitchen-chicken-broth-concentrate-7-2-oz

For years I've reduced my homemade chicken stock to a jelly consistency and frozen it in ice cube trays. I don't have freezer space for all the water of regular chicken stock--I can always add it later. One ice cube of the reduced stock makes one cup of very respectable chicken stock. When I make the original stock I use carrot, celery, onion, and add thyme, garlic, whole black peppercorns, a fistful of fresh parsley, and a bay leaf or 2, depending on the amount of stock. Strain out the solids and reduce the stock further, then chill and scrape off the fat. Works like a charm and I always have a lot of chicken stock to work with. I suspect it would work with beef or other meats as well.

• Like 2

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

On 9/4/2023 at 6:40 PM, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

For years I've reduced my homemade chicken stock to a jelly consistency and frozen it in ice cube trays. I don't have freezer space for all the water of regular chicken stock--I can always add it later. One ice cube of the reduced stock makes one cup of very respectable chicken stock. When I make the original stock I use carrot, celery, onion, and add thyme, garlic, whole black peppercorns, a fistful of fresh parsley, and a bay leaf or 2, depending on the amount of stock. Strain out the solids and reduce the stock further, then chill and scrape off the fat. Works like a charm and I always have a lot of chicken stock to work with. I suspect it would work with beef or other meats as well.

I follow this process too, except I use only bones, odds and sods of chicken and water.  I started this batch yesterday, let it simmer away until around 9 last night, strained it through cheesecloth, cooled it  and stuck it in the fridge.  Today I scraped the fat off and reduced it, poured it in ice cube trays, cooled it, and the trays are now in the freezer.  When frozen, I'll pop the cubes and put them in plastic bags.  At Thanksgiving (ours is in October) a local store sells turkey carcasses.  We usually buy a bunch for stock.

20230907_160403.jpg

• Like 3

when i make turkey stock in th iPot

just turkey carcass  

I cool , defat and freeze in bricks

then vacuum seal and freeze.

I use the bricks for the next carcass rather than water 

and get to 4 x at least .  ie the bricks are used 4 times 

thus I do not need to boil off the water .

I open a frozen brick , chop off a tranch , quickly reseal in the same bag

and put the brick back in the freezer for another day.

with this system there is no salt or seasonings .

the turkey carcass starts out raw .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2