• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

Linguinette with jumbo lump crabmeat, a little sautéed garlic, peperoncini, capers, scallions white wine. Crushed mini oyster crackers zapped with butter, Old Bay and Worcestershire were scattered around the edge of the plate.

Dessert was strawberry ice cream with macerated strawberries.

IMG_3882.jpeg

IMG_3889.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 6

This was somewhat optimistically described as 海陆空至尊炒饭 (hǎi lù kòng zhì zūn chǎo fàn), sea land air supreme fried rice. The sea was a couple of shrimp, the land was both beef and bacon and the air was chicken. Yeah, I know they can fly but...

It also contained, egg, carrot, green soy beans, green onion and the dreaded c⊘rn, which I carefully extracted and threw out of the window.

rice.thumb.jpg.72946830b436970b92fe9c4a1f1d1d6d.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8
  • Sad 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

It also contained, egg, carrot, green soy veans, green onion and the dreaded c⊘rn, which I carefully extracted and threw out of the window.

So much hatred for corn in your household even the garbage can won't tolerate the stuff!

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, OlyveOyl said:

Linguinette with jumbo lump crabmea

Do you have a good source for jumbo lump, and how much are you paying for it?! (Prices I’ve seen are, shall we say, high).

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 6/17/2023 at 6:56 PM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Now you have me thinking.    Maybe moosh it slightly and put it between two slices of good bread?    With a little clinging sauce?

Used that onion...

image.thumb.jpeg.0ad5b80af6c09ec34577d01344bff5e0.jpeg

Cannellini beans, with that  Marcella onion, leeks, shallots, garlic, carrots, celery, tomato.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 4

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Charlie asked for Dak Bulgogi (Korean marinated and grilled chicken) I pulled the skin back so the meat would get more exposed to the marinade, scraped a lot of the fat off the inside of the skin and left it in longer than the recipe said because, I intended to cook the pieces whole. The skin was crispy and the meat was moist and tender.  I cooked it to 175.  That is higher than most recipes specify but it turned out OK. It is what Cameron Treu recommended in an article for ThermoWorks about chicken thighs for BBQ competitions. These were grilled, not smoked but I like the way they turned out.

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0993.jpg

IMG_0994.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

Pizza tonight.
Dough was made this morning.
Started it early early around 6:00 AM and after a
number of autolyze/stretch and folds, left it out on the counter until 5:00 PM.
Matt made a 16 or 17" vegetarian pizza.
ItalianSausagewithmushroomsJune19th2023.thumb.jpg.3713d4bb70827bd9cb0f7dff07044375.jpg
Moe and I had lunch out so I made just a small 10" pizza for us to share.
ItalianSausagewithmushroomsJune19th20231.thumb.jpg.89498b202b05e9e36a201a7c7f931252.jpg
Baked using the Jim Lahey method of baking pizza on a stone,
ItalianSausagewithmushroomsJune19th20232.thumb.jpg.85b83134139c72f6794afd53968268d8.jpg
high up in the oven under the broiler from start to finish. Really like this method.
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Walking home last night after a concert, I stopped in to Balthazar to grab a bite.

IMG_9564.thumb.jpeg.70796f3c0c2a2384f28b16b2caa7e9ac.jpeg

A very respectable burger, and some of (along with those at Cervo's) the best fries in the city. Every solo diner is comped a glass of bubbly, which is nice. Instead, though, I drank a glass of Beaujolais.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

3 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Every solo diner is comped a glass of bubbly, which is nice. Instead, though, I drank a glass of Beaujolais.

Brilliant marketing idea!

1 minute ago, Tropicalsenior said:

If the fries are that good, it's a shame that they don't give you very many.

I literally couldn't finish them all.

Speaking of which, dinner at Cervo's last week...

IMG_9525.thumb.jpeg.653bcebb6bc5e329461290b9ff6e64d2.jpeg

Fried spearing.

IMG_9527.thumb.jpeg.45ae8bb0b34b4003d2615601e3e99d52.jpeg

Sea bream a la plancha. With those fries (here, they come with aioli; at Balthazar, they come with ketchup and requested mustard).

IMG_9532.thumb.jpeg.d3eb2aab5871a30ec68fdc05088feaac.jpeg

Pão de Ló.

IMG_9533.thumb.jpeg.986b1d622e61bca6ba492c49e9c789e4.jpeg

Outside Cervo's, this is Canal Street (looking west again); this stretch is closed to traffic most every evening. Corner Bar, which I've posted about before, is in the taller building in the rear, with the cupola atop.

• Like 13

Tasty Travails - My Blog

14 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

@weinoo, I would have thought Balthazar could do better than just ketchup.

I was surprised that the burger actually comes with fries - it doesn't show them on the menu. 

I'm pretty sure they'll give you whatever you ask for; the free bubbly makes up for "just ketchup!"

• Haha 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

2 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

@weinoo, I would have thought Balthazar could do better than just ketchup.

My tastes may be somewhat plebeian but for me nothing is better than ketchup with fries.

Edited by lindag
corrected spelling error (log)
  • Like 3

Dumpling Tomato Salad with Chili Crisp Vinaigrette, a delicious recipe at the NYT., with thanks to @Senior Sea Kayaker for reminding me of it.  This is a quick to put together recipe that only requires you to macerate the cut up tomatoes with s, p, minced garlic and torn up basil leaves for 20/30 minutes.  In the meanwhile, the vinaigrette of soy, rice wine vinegar and chili crisp  is prepared and set aside.  Lastly, the dumplings are fried and then steamed.  Alli are then mixed together and topped with some fried shallots.  As I  had used the last of my micro fried shallots, I fortunately had some TJ’s fried onions in the pantry which substituted admirably.  The onions provided a nice crunch to the dish. This will be excellent when summer tomatoes are really good. I did peel the red tomatoes though 😁

IMG_3902.jpeg

• Like 13

@weinoo

I thought I had either caught, eaten, read about or at least heard about many fish species however spearing is a new one for me.

Best I could dig up after some research was a recipe that gave whiting as an acceptable substitute. Is it whiting or silverside by another name?

Enquiring minds (well me at least) would like to know.

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

IMG_3073.thumb.jpeg.ba27c262e9fdc6089d78ae825225fd87.jpeg

Campbell's creamy tomato soup, grilled cheese sandwich and Ziggy's coleslaw. 

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, Anna N said:

IMG_3073.thumb.jpeg.ba27c262e9fdc6089d78ae825225fd87.jpeg

Campbell's creamy tomato soup, grilled cheese sandwich and Ziggy's coleslaw. 

Next time try their Tomato Bisque.  Head and shoulders better than the regular style.

• Thanks 1