• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

Tom_Kha_crab_202308.thumb.jpg.ceb7af72e7692a9ac4e694acae118186.jpg

Thom kha Maryland blue crab 😉

Coconut milk and chicken stock with a paste of garlic, ginger (sub for galangal), lemongrass, shallots, cilantro stems, and toasted white pepper. Simmered with bruised lemongrass, sliced ginger, and lime zest (sub for lime leaves), and fish sauce. Strained the soup, added the crab meat, and finished with chile jam, lime juice. and palm sugar.

Mrs. C declared it the "best soup she had ever had.", but I disagree. :rolleyes:

Roasted green beans with garlic, ginger, and lime juice to go with.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 4

10 minutes ago, heidih said:

So noodle free? I might have been temted to go with glass noodles for texture and slurpability. Green beans you described - yum

Glass noodles are an interesting idea. Jasmine rice would be traditional, but we just spent 2 weeks pigging out on a cruise ship so I was aiming for healthy-ish. :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Duvel said:

Sometimes it has to be …

Double quarter-pounder with cheese & bacon. Served on a brioche bun with Dijonnaise, pickles, tomato and a touch of hot sauce.

IMG_0614.thumb.jpeg.20970f29a0119ee34b20cb0fb8a39cd1.jpeg

No complaints 🤗

Eating pictures?

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Eating pictures?

That would be a great idea for an individual thread …

In this case none, as my hands were probably too slippery to hold anything else than the burger (let alone a mobile phone). Priorities 😉

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Duvel said:

Sometimes it has to be …

Double quarter-pounder with cheese & bacon. Served on a brioche bun with Dijonnaise, pickles, tomato and a touch of hot sauce.

IMG_0614.thumb.jpeg.20970f29a0119ee34b20cb0fb8a39cd1.jpeg

No complaints 🤗

Great looking burger but eating it would necessitate washing my beard 😋

• Haha 4

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Udon Noodles stir-fry with beef and various vegetables.

BeegUdonNoodles1999.jpg.bb63df17960749d52b260e824b1f4c55.jpg

Dessert was Chapman's Tahitian Vanilla ice cream with some of my peach apricot pineapple conserve

IceCreamConserve2006.jpg.17790762a15f5921cf1a2de67dc62258.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Early dinner ' sampler ' :

IMG_2866.thumb.jpg.02522ce2bd8689818428408a7f6b13f8.jpg

lonely , a bit pathetic looking , but very tasty .  I had to try it right now   

method is over here :

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/155098-instant-pot-multi-function-cooker-part-5/page/77/#comment-2399281

the turkey was a little dry ,( ' well done ' in burger parlance )  as I suspected it would be based on the

final internal temp 

but the whole thing was very tasty .   Wine , rosemary , thyme , hints of garlic  :  very nice .

I prefer to include potato skins , some might not .  

a serious keeper for me .   easily adjusted for a more tender turkey next time .

and no added commercial does of NaCl.   .

( I use a different type of salt )

very nice .  w lots of potential.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 2

8 minutes ago, OlyveOyl said:

Small  baby back ribs with Momofuku seasoning on ribs, crispy shallow fried potatoes ; skinned diced eggplant with a spoonful of Dan Dan sauce, sesame seeds and scallions.

Peach almond slice for dessert.

IMG_3015.jpeg

IMG_3006.jpeg

I have the same tart pan and I have peaches... thanks for the idea.

• Like 1

The recipe was adapted from a Donna Hay “ Pear and Almond Tart “, I used white rather than brown sugar.  It’s predominately almond flour with a very small amount of AP, I’ve also made it with just the almond flour.  I made it with plums as well yesterday , a family fave.

Edited by OlyveOyl (log)
  • Delicious 1

9 hours ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Great looking burger but eating it would necessitate washing my beard 😋

Same here … actually I took a full shower afterwards (not entirely dinner-related, though).

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Duvel 

another winner .

do you place the spinach on the pizza raw ?

or slightly blanched ?

in my past , I placed it on pizza ' chopped raw '

the spinach  still had some ' spinach texture '   on the final pizza.  

I blanch it for these type of pizzas. Chopped raw is also good, but gives a completely different mouthfeel, as some of the leaves get dried out, some get charred - at least in my setup at ~3 min cooking time.

• Like 1

Dinner yesterday evening for a few guests.

Some of the photos were too blurred hover I made a chicken and shrimp soup with long beans, red and yellow peppers, chard stalks and greens, edamame, garlic, ginger...etc...

All the components were prepared ahead of time so when we got back from an event it'd be quickly on the table.

Made some wontons with ground pork, shitakes, garlic chives...etc...

Sauteed some shrimp with herbs, ginger....

Blanched and shocked shrimp roe noodles.

My bowl: (since not everyone appreciates hot chili everyone could doctor their serving with chili oil. soya sauce, hot sauce....etc....) Soup base laced with chili oil, wontons, shrimp, noodles and a final squirt of sriracha and chives.

SoupIngredients.thumb.JPG.914ec73abec40e19f3071b819ae6ff5c.JPGMyServing.thumb.JPG.080f935c6a00db9b0f4912daadecf1aa.JPG

• Like 13
  • Delicious 5

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

@rotuts – Look at the first picture of the belly in the container – that was exactly how he brought it over to us – already sliced.  My understanding is that the belly came from our local favorite butcher (she was a winner on Chopped), and that it was brined, rubbed (no idea what he rubbed it with, but I know it had some form of sugar in it and it wasn’t too spicy) and then smoked whole and sliced.  I simply fried it on both sides in a fairly hot pan in tiny bit of vegetable oil.  It was cold when he brought it to us and when I asked him what I should do with it, he said to do that.  I’m not sure it would be great right off the grill.  Though it was leaner than it looked to me when I opened the container.  I think eating it in a sandwich might depend on how thin it was sliced – these slices were about a half inch wide and I think that would have been too thick for a sandwich.

@Norm Matthews – I loved the looks of your Salisbury Steaks!  I’ve gone to your blog and copied the recipe!  What was the other dish that wasn’t mac and cheese or peas?  The one with the gravy on it?

@Ann_T  - the pork belly WAS good – I was especially impressed as this was the first time this guy has smoked a belly.

Dinner last night started with big salads:

IMG_4232.jpg.534b1ed17ba74808dc819dbe9d8d3905.jpg

Lettuce (with kale for Mr. Kim), various crunchy vegetables, kalamatas, salami, and provolone.  We used to get a similar salad at a local pizza place.  We stopped going when they stopped serving slices, so now I have to do this at home.  We are still recovering from chest colds, so the salad exhausted my energy and imagination.  The rest of dinner was Sloppy Joes, pickly stuff, and fresh corn:

IMG_4235.jpg.5dd66b67aa2362642e753688a890eb69.jpg

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1