• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2023

liuzhou

I haven't bothered to take a photo in ages but here's one from this morning.  Jammy Egg and Scallion Sandwich from Andy Baraghani's The Cook You Want To Be

42E574D8-EE8B-490D-932E-25AD854FCC63_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.7eb702a7ace91b44e84da422262c0dfb.jpeg

Kind of a deconstructed egg salad sandwich and I made an open-faced version on toasted sourdough. The scallion "sauce" is just sliced scallions, toasted sesame seeds, rice vinegar and soy sauce with a pinch of salt & pepper.  The bread is spread with a mix of mayo and Dijon mustard. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

1 hour ago, heidih said:

@blue_dolphin Ooh nice combo. What is your secret for the gorgeous jammy eggs

These are out of the fridge and into boiling water for 7 min, then into ice water.  My go-to is 6.5 min but those yolks are a little too runny to slice so I bumped it up a little. Probably could have gone 7.5 or 8 min to get neater slices. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@rotuts, two eggs, about 3 rounded tablespoons sour cream, two pieces, 2x3 by 1/4” of Gouda/Parmesan.  In addition, two yellow teardrop tomatoes, s/p and chervil.  Fridge temp eggs and cheese, blitzed all with an immersion blender. Water was preheated in IP, * 4 containers were set on a trivet, low pressure, 00:00,steam,  immediate release, 3 qt. IP. Eggs have a “custardy” consistency. Containers were filled about halfway, they are 1 1/2” deep by about 3+ inches. Volume measurement is a half cup. They are used for eggs in aspic as well. Interior temperature of the cooked eggs was 163*, I shoot for 160*.

IMG_4944.jpeg

Edited by OlyveOyl (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Toasted TJ's sandwich thin (ate the other half already). Mini avocado wasn't quite ripe, so I put a very thin smear of cream cheese  to hold it onto the surface better. Sprinkled generously with a salt-free seasoning that is pepper/lemon/garlic.

avo toast.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Made Moe a toasted BLT for breakfast this morning.
ToastedBLTonhomemadeBreadNovember3rd2023.thumb.jpg.ce6afcee210ce204a4007d9ec5bfd9af.jpg
On homemade bread, with one of the last tomatoes from our garden,  and,  keeping with a lower sodium diet,
I found sodium reduced bacon at Costco
that is surprising really good. Regular bacon has 400mg of sodium in 2 strips and the reduced is only 180mg in 2 strips.
  • Like 8

@Ann_T 

with regard to reducing sodium in cured porky product :

consider a soak in ice water , then pat dry .   ice because you ant to keep the fat firm .

time in the ice bath depends on thickness , as its the surface area // mass that get you what you want.

pat dry then cook.    Ive done this w high end mail order bacon and good quality commercial.

mail order is more expensive , but had much more flavor so the result on the plate after the

ice bath might matter.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Ann_T 

with regard to reducing sodium in cured porky product :

consider a soak in ice water , then pat dry .   ice because you ant to keep the fat firm .

time in the ice bath depends on thickness , as its the surface area // mass that get you what you want.

pat dry then cook.    Ive done this w high end mail order bacon and good quality commercial.

mail order is more expensive , but had much more flavor so the result on the plate after the

ice bath might matter.

Thanks @rotuts, I have been very tempted to buy a bone in ham and soak it in an effort to reduce the salt.  I've had a craving

for a bone in ham since our Thanksgiving.