• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2023

liuzhou

3 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

It looks like they survived delivery. We tried takeout XLB in Asheville when we were both sick but they definitely lost something in travel. Better on site.

This last year, due to my medical issues, I've been using delivery services extensively. I've never had anything arrive the worse for wear. These XLB are from a small place nearby and were at my door within 7 minutes of me placing the order. I've ordered them several times - always perfect. Don't like their congee so much, though.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Shasksuka: eggs, tomatoes, mild and hot peppers, garlic, green onion bulbs and finished with green onion tops and zucchini blossoms. 

Enjoyed with toasted English muffins and coffee.

DSCN1073.thumb.JPG.55bac7f14cc9fb6604f5e03cbb8cf1b5.JPG

I would have thrown the eggs on top of the English muffins, making it like an egg Benedict.

But still, your breakfast looks extremely delicious 😋

Grilled fruit (apricot, peach, plum) with fresh grapes and pistachios over plain Green yogurt.  TJ's frozen, ready-to-bake mini croissant.  

8F829252-C03E-4820-96EB-4B2EB532B0F6_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.0ea59de7d0b0e8e6aa6b0252711c0967.jpeg

Those croissants aren't bad.  Only 160 calories which is reasonable compared to some of those bakery monsters and I can easily bake just one in the CSO.  The box says "ready-to-bake" but the result is much nicer if you let them sit out at room temp for a couple of hours to thaw and proof a little. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Used three of the Calabrese store bought buns to make triple decker toasted Club House sandwiches for breakfast.
Sliced the top and bottom off of the third bun and then sliced in two for the third layer.
ToastedClubHouseSandwichesonabunAugust27th2023.thumb.jpg.8113da1040835b43ef9db41072161475.jpg

Lettuce, bacon, tomato and chicken breast.
I still had a chicken breast left from the big roaster that I did on the grill
for dinner Thursday night. 
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1

58 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Goat cheese and roasted grape tartine from Diana Henry's Simple

85E78802-6195-4474-9C1A-1DCCCBE7A2B6_1_201_a.jpeg

Lovely! I can just taste it, will have to try that soon. My sister who will be visiting soon is a big goat cheese fan. Me, not so much. I will make this for her because I know she will love it.

• Like 2

It's that time of the year, to make Peach Apricot, Pineapple Conserve! It's my hubby's Nana Katie's family recipe. I am the only one who makes this, so there was a lot of peeling, chopping and boiling. Had to taste some for breakfast with toasted English muffin. Brings back lots of memories of enjoying Nana's conserve!

Conservejammy1970.jpg.1fc6be3055bdd08e063254de2cf2f8c6.jpgBreakfast!1975.jpg.7e48d34661ad2898498ac277833a1628.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

35 minutes ago, Dejah said:

It's that time of the year, to make Peach Apricot, Pineapple Conserve! It's my hubby's Nana Katie's family recipe. I am the only one who makes this, so there was a lot of peeling, chopping and boiling. Had to taste some for breakfast with toasted English muffin. Brings back lots of memories of enjoying Nana's conserve!

Conservejammy1970.jpg.1fc6be3055bdd08e063254de2cf2f8c6.jpgBreakfast!1975.jpg.7e48d34661ad2898498ac277833a1628.jpg

That looks like a spoonful of summer. My mom used to make apricot pineapple jam that was delicious but we're not big jam eaters so I haven't made it yet. Apricots will be in full season here soon, so I might just break out her recipe.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

That looks like a spoonful of summer. My mom used to make apricot pineapple jam that was delicious but we're not big jam eaters so I haven't made it yet. Apricots will be in full season here soon, so I might just break out her recipe.

Apricots are always arrive a month before the freestone peaches. 😞 I remembered that so picked up bags of them, cut into halves and frozen them. The last 3 bags I picked up recently when the peaches came in were all spoiling from the pit out! Took them back and was refunded $30.00. That was for about 6 lbs. A friend tole me she made my recipe, and used re-hydrated  then simmered dried apricots. I did that with the second batch, and it worked! The dried ones are a little sweeter but they held their shape well.

• Like 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

32 minutes ago, Dejah said:

Apricots are always arrive a month before the freestone peaches. 😞 I remembered that so picked up bags of them, cut into halves and frozen them. The last 3 bags I picked up recently when the peaches came in were all spoiling from the pit out! Took them back and was refunded $30.00. That was for about 6 lbs. A friend tole me she made my recipe, and used re-hydrated  then simmered dried apricots. I did that with the second batch, and it worked! The dried ones are a little sweeter but they held their shape well.

Oh, dried apricots are a great work around. I have been so disappointed with the stone fruits that I can get the last couple of years, under ripe and never ripen, or mealy... I bought a box of 7 peaches for 10.00 from a local stand recently. Our area does not grow peaches so I suspect these were from the Okanagan but they were the peaches of my childhood memory. Eaten over the kitchen sink, juice dripping down your arm.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

@MaryIsobel: The peaches and apricots I got were from Okanagan. The peaches were lovely, and I still have a dozen or so to eat fresh. I was worried about the orchards in the valley, but there hasn't been any mention of them.
I have fond memories of the peaches in Georgia. We drove thru' that state right at the peak of the season, picked up baskets of peaches, and enjoyed them so much!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

1 hour ago, Dejah said:

@MaryIsobel: The peaches and apricots I got were from Okanagan. The peaches were lovely, and I still have a dozen or so to eat fresh. I was worried about the orchards in the valley, but there hasn't been any mention of them.
I have fond memories of the peaches in Georgia. We drove thru' that state right at the peak of the season, picked up baskets of peaches, and enjoyed them so much!

I can think of nothing better than a perfectly ripened peach.

• Like 1

@Ann_T – funny you should say that about toasting because the reason I do it is because I want to be able to multi-task – specifically to sit at my computer and read and respond to messages, etc. If I heat a whole croissant and tear it apart and butter the torn off bites I get flakes of pastry and butter finger marks all over the computer and the table.  Slicing and toasting just makes it neater! 😊

Breakfast this morning was the end of a leftover Lidl baguette, an egg, and some Neese’s Sage Sausage from Greensboro NC:

IMG_4220.thumb.jpg.3b65849661ac5e7d56f94ea1c57c2df3.jpg

I'm appalled to be posting this right after @Ann_T's gorgeous baguettes.  😄

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Scrambled smoky duck eggs on sourdough from Ottolenghi's Plenty.

11221426-3383-484A-B09B-5EAE08180789_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.de99ff36de5d97763e1b3ee22457d413.jpeg
The eggs are scrambled with green onions, garlic, tomato and chipotle chile and served on toasted sourdough, topped with cilantro with sour cream on the side. 

Personally, I'd just put the eggs on the plate with the toast on the side. 

• Like 6

16 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Scrambled smoky duck eggs on sourdough from Ottolenghi's Plenty.

11221426-3383-484A-B09B-5EAE08180789_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.de99ff36de5d97763e1b3ee22457d413.jpeg
The eggs are scrambled with green onions, garlic, tomato and chipotle chile and served on toasted sourdough, topped with cilantro with sour cream on the side. 

Personally, I'd just put the eggs on the plate with the toast on the side. 

Nice looking breakfast.

Duck eggs are another one of the grocery items that are not available to me locally. Miss them.

Edited by Senior Sea Kayaker (log)
  • Like 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot