• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2023

liuzhou

3 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I also had a rare, sweet breakfast. An apricot fruit pocket (aka jelly donut) from Viktor Benês Bakery was amongst the leftovers from a holiday gathering yesterday. 

9673553A-9278-40A3-84BB-734D37C27AEB_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.dcbf47355c0254ef983eda5d33e5fc89.jpeg

I was going to have just one quarter but I've just made another cup of coffee to have with a second one!

You have to.  It'll get stale.

• Haha 3

Those butter tarts look scrumptious @Ann_T

Mushroom_pork_eggs_202312-2.thumb.jpg.73c1b58205c722a33ab8ad06998fca29.jpg

Dry-fried mushrooms, roasted Poblano chile, and leftover pork loin with onion, garlic, chiles, cumin, and black pepper. Finished with cilantro, Mexican oregano, Meyer lemon, and Salvadoran crema.

Mushroom_pork_eggs_202312-1.thumb.jpg.abb141c63b9fbf05185daee945127d4e.jpg

Obligatory runny egg shot 🙂

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

I had a boneless chicken breast with skin on that I had intended to stuff with mushroom duxelles for last night's dinner.
That didn't happen because we had pizza instead.
So I cooked it this morning for Moe's breakfast.
PanfriedchickenbreastfinishedintheovenbreakfastDecember10th2023.thumb.jpg.1632bd051abc26bcc6da9fe91f9fe8a0.jpg
Seasoned with one of Hot Mamas salt free rubs, pan fried and finished in the oven.
Served with mashed potatoes, sautéed zucchini and gravy.
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 1

16 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Beans on toast

0AFD7090-2683-4DCB-8D42-1ECACFF08108_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.80fc9113c28e586b6f3ac9aaa206f013.jpeg

I made a batch of the roast red peppers with anchovy dressing from Nigella's Cook, Eat, Repeat, stirred in some Rancho Gordo large white limas and spooned it over a slice of toast.

Look great! Although 'beans on toast' seems very generous to the toast at hand.

Looks more like 'beans hiding their friend toast so the teacher can't find him.'

• Haha 4

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

On 12/10/2023 at 12:40 PM, blue_dolphin said:

I made a batch of the roast red peppers with anchovy dressing from Nigella's Cook, Eat, Repeat, stirred in some Rancho Gordo large white limas and spooned it over a slice of toast.

Great photo.   Looks so pretty.

BaconandtomatoOmeletteDecember13th2023.thumb.jpg.9ad1b3603b3ac78cdd2741862cbd10bb.jpg

Made Moe a tomato bacon omelette for breakfast with toasted English Bloomer Bread.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

I decided I wanted a change from my usual century egg and pork congee, so I ordered this seafood and shiitake congee. The seafood was shrimp and although the taste was OK (once I added some salt) the porrdge was way too thin. I've had thicker cups of tea!

Huge disappointment.

_20231215093844.thumb.jpg.09394108873b50abfbb95cd1b415a121.jpg

• Sad 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

21 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

The seafood was shrimp

That reminds me of the Campbell's chicken noodle soup that we used to get when I was a kid. We used to have to take turns to see who would get the one piece of chicken that was in it.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Tropicalsenior said:

That reminds me of the Campbell's chicken noodle soup that we used to get when I was a kid. We used to have to take turns to see who would get the one piece of chicken that was in it.

There was plenty of shrimp, although you can only see one in my picture. They were however, somewhat over-cooked.

• Sad 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Still tasted good though!

My complaint with Campbell's is they've discontinued too many soups I like, such as pepperpot and chicken mushroom chowder.

• Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I had planned on roasting a small chicken for dinner last night.
And I knew I wouldn't have time to make a dressing when I got home from work , so I cheated and bought a box of Stove Top.
Works in a pinch especially if you prepare it using chicken broth instead of water, and extra butter.
But Moe wasn't very hungry last night so instead I made a pot of Stracciatella soup.
A quick and easy soup to make.
RoastchickenDecember16th2023.thumb.jpg.589d4eff7d7c407a9f3c2fe21a87f55e.jpg
And I roasted the chicken this morning.
Moe is having it for breakfast and I'll take a roast chicken dinner to work for lunch.
RoastchickenDecember16th20232.thumb.jpg.9276f461220e47546938dc9c8a1584ba.jpg

Mashed potatoes, store was out of rutabaga so went with small white turnips and some really tasty tiny Brussel sprouts. 

Good thing that the rest of the meal was very low sodium because the same can't be said for the Stove Top.
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 2

packaged stuffing mixes do indeed pack a sodium punch.

I used to use Pepperidge Farm cornbread.  checked the package and was quite surprised on the amount.

too bad the companies don't offer lower salt versions.

• Like 4