Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chang/Momofuku pulling out of TO


rgruby
 Share

Recommended Posts

Here is a bit more info.

 

”Hans Vogels, was the Executive Chef at Momofuku Noodle Bar from opening day until this past June. He had this to say when reached for comment.

"After ten years of working there I didn't get a phone call, an email, I didn't hear a thing from the company. I find it strange that there was no thank you. I didn’t expect a gold watch, but not even an email?"”

  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Anna N said:

Here is a bit more info.

 

”Hans Vogels, was the Executive Chef at Momofuku Noodle Bar from opening day until this past June. He had this to say when reached for comment.

"After ten years of working there I didn't get a phone call, an email, I didn't hear a thing from the company. I find it strange that there was no thank you. I didn’t expect a gold watch, but not even an email?"”


 

That doesn’t reflect well on David Chang. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:


 

That doesn’t reflect well on David Chang. 

David Chang, like most of us, is very complex. There is much information out there to suggest that he was not an ideal employer. He admitted as much himself. 
Here.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

David Chang, like most of us, is very complex. There is much information out there to suggest that he was not an ideal employer. He admitted as much himself. 
Here.

So he admitted he is a shitty boss? Big deal. Why not be a decent one? 
 

 I worked in restaurants, particularly fine dining mostly for over a decade. He didn’t need to be a dick. 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:

So he admitted he is a shitty boss? Big deal. Why not be a decent one? 

I’m not defending David Chang. Neither am I prepared to judge him.  I merely posted some information about him.

  • Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

So he admitted he is a shitty boss? Big deal. Why not be a decent one? 


It is not easy … it’s a skill, and you need to learn it. In every line of work, people that do an outstanding job get promoted - but their people skills to make them efficient leaders are usually not developed at the same time. Chang is an innovator, a good cook with a great sense for business. That does not qualify him to be a great boss. If he doesn’t have opportunity/time/commitment to learn to be a good leader, it usually doesn’t happen on its own. Not an excuse, merely an observation …

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok, when I started this thread I was just passing on a significant local restaurant closure, or so I thought. Didn’t intend it to be a referendum on Chang, thought that was well trod ground at this point, although perhaps not in the context of the Toronto outposts.

Anyhow, threads take on a life of their own, as this one has, and that’s fine. 
Just for some further context employees have been apparently offered $2000 if they will stay on until the last day, Dec.23. Whether that’s actually a good deal or not I don’t know as after the hols restaurants are typically slow here and not hiring. Generalizing.

 Cheers,

 Geoff 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Duvel said:


It is not easy … it’s a skill, and you need to learn it. In every line of work, people that do an outstanding job get promoted - but their people skills to make them efficient leaders are usually not developed at the same time. Chang is a innovator, a good cook with a great sense for business. That does not qualify him to be a great boss. If he doesn’t have opportunity/time/commitment to learn to je a good leader, it usually doesn’t happen on its own. Not an excuse, merely an observation …

Bravo.

  • Like 2

eGullet member #80.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/25/2022 at 4:14 PM, MetsFan5 said:

So he admitted he is a shitty boss? Big deal. Why not be a decent one? 
 

 I worked in restaurants, particularly fine dining mostly for over a decade. He didn’t need to be a dick. 

Exactly.  I got the distinct impression that he thought the confession had "mea culpa'd" him right out of being held responsible for being a horse's ass. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/25/2022 at 4:42 PM, Duvel said:


It is not easy … it’s a skill, and you need to learn it. In every line of work, people that do an outstanding job get promoted - but their people skills to make them efficient leaders are usually not developed at the same time. Chang is an innovator, a good cook with a great sense for business. That does not qualify him to be a great boss. If he doesn’t have opportunity/time/commitment to learn to be a good leader, it usually doesn’t happen on its own. Not an excuse, merely an observation …

 

 Of course it’s not easy. But if you are a chef, why try to be a PR person or an executive? I don’t think it takes much for anyone with humility to acknowledge they can’t do it all. I’m sure Chang out sources PR, Marketing, maybe a HR company, has a manager, etc. He certainly deals with a multitude of vendors. 
 

  Part of brilliance, IMO, is treating your staff as you’d like to be treated and acknowledging that you can’t do it all. 
 

 I get he was sucked into the idea that Bourdain made mainstream; chefs are now celebrities. 
 

  However none of them became famous overnight. So shafting your employees to me, in this industry is especially disappointing, as someone with a BA in Restaurant and Hospitality Management. I’m not surprised but it’s still sad. 
 

IMO- Eric Ripert is the best example as a chef/ restaurant owner I can think of. 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

IMO- Eric Ripert is the best example as a chef/ restaurant owner I can think of. 

 

My friends who own Cafe Katja are good too!

 

Look - Chang has never been that nice of a boss; I sat at the counter at Noodle Bar (when it was only Noodle Bar and when he often was cooking) many times, sometimes a little embarrassed as he would berate one of his cooks for not doing something right or quickly enough.

 

I think he's probably a better boss now, as he pretty much has become a shill for lots and lots of products, and doesn't have to deal with people in the restaurants on a daily basis.

  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

  Part of brilliance, IMO, is treating your staff as you’d like to be treated


This is actually what sets very successful people up for failure in their leadership behavior. People like Chang do not need positive reinforcements, they are gifted, driven and automotivated. If they don’t realize that those around them, their employees, are not but individuals that require more than just the privilege of working in a dynamic environment (and keep in mind - there are plenty who just need that), they won’t be successful leaders.
 

Expecting that others/your employees have the same (emotional) needs as you is not a good base for a successful working relationship.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Duvel said:


This is actually what sets very successful people up for failure in their leadership behavior. People like Chang do not need positive reinforcements, they are gifted, driven and automotivated. If they don’t realize that those around them, their employees, are not but individuals that require more than just the privilege of working in a dynamic environment (and keep in mind - there are plenty who just need that), they won’t be successful leaders.
 

Expecting that others/your employees have the same (emotional) needs as you is not a good base for a successful working relationship.


 

i agree he doesn’t need positive reinforcement. However I absolutely think in order to have a staff that is hardworking and loyal, you have to treat people well. I have worked in high end restaurants all over northern NJ and can tell you I worked much harder when I was valued. As the daughter of a business owner who’s company is now in its 46th year of business and thrived throughout Covid, I saw how my father respects and values his employees and the fiscal rewards from doing so. 
  
  I have a bachelors degree in Hospitality Management from a well regarded school and have worked for some genuine assholes. And been sexually harassed, had dishes thrown at me, the usual garbage. I was lucky enough to have worked for some really great people and I’d go to bat for them, and have paid it back in spades having had everything from my wedding to multiple repasts at their establishment. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...