• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gotten any fun stuff lately?

Kim Shook

On 7/19/2024 at 1:59 PM, blue_dolphin said:

They sound excellent.  I hope you’ll share how you use them.  I'm really bad at using spice blends, whether they’re gifts or stuff I purchased myself. 

Years ago, shortly after La Boîte opened and I was visiting NY I stopped by. I imagine it's grown since then.  . I bought a little tin of Smoked Cinnamon. Just smelling it was transporting. The only thing I figured out to do with it was use it in a steak rub.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Expected to arrive in a few days:

Bialetti.jpg.5402647d2209953e72babe05fee27fba.jpg

I've been thinking about getting a Bialetti moka pot for quite some time, and have been reluctant to click the "buy" button because it's not something I really need.  But when I saw this one, the colors just grabbed me and I popped for it unhesitatingly ... my kitchen needs more color - I need more color in my life - and this will sit quite visibly next to the coffee grinder and small tea containers.  I'm also pleased to have finally made the decision.

Edited by Shel_B
Additional information (log)
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2

... Shel

• 1 month later...

Vitamix tall 64-oz container:  When I purchased my Vitamix 5300 it came with the short 64-oz container.  After a while, I learned that a narrower container might best suit my needs, and I found a great deal on a 32-oz container.  It showed me that the narrower container would, indeed, be a better choice.  For a while, I looked on eBay and Amazon for deals on the tall 64-oz container, but could not find what I wanted.  Most offered were second-party or unknown brand containers, which I didn't want.  The few used Vitamix containers that I found were more beat up than was acceptable.  And I didn't want to pay full retail for a container that I didn't actually need ...

Last week I received an email from Vitamix saying that the tall 64-oz container was on sale for Labor Day, and the price was such that I could get a new one and end up saving about $80.00.  CLICK!

and today the new container arrived ... just in time for the start of soup season.

VitamixNew.jpg.0658de65f2aa119cac920f2b02b0a3ed.jpg

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 7

... Shel

2 hours ago, Laurentius said:

Congrats.

Do you only use your BM to puree your soups, or do you also "cook" them by running it for extended periods?

I've tried cooking soup and heating water in the machine, more just to see if it could be done (it can), but it's very inefficient and somewhat time consuming.  Every now and then I'll add a cold/cool ingredient that needs to be warmed, and the Vitamix does a very nice job with that.

I love the machine.  It does what the makers claim it does, and it does so without fuss or complaint. I bought it in mid-November 2018, and for years I used it at least once a day, often more, and thus far it's never missed a beat. 😍😍😍

• Like 3

... Shel

2 hours ago, Shel_B said:

I love the machine. 

Yes.  I have a much older VM (looks like a chrome toaster).  It's got a SS beaker and has been absolutely bulletproof.

Like you, I tried "cooking" soup in it just to test the maker's claim.  I agree it does work, but takes a long time.  Plus, I've never thought the soup improved--I think it reaches a degree of smoothness that no additional time will improve.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Laurentius said:

Well?  Was the special edition Bialetti a hit?

Mixed review. I really like the results I get from the Bialetti.  The coffee is easy enough to prepare and I purchased a couple of pre-ground Lavazza blends. Actually, I bought one package

Crema.jpg.6633839478e93deb1794de90617aedfd.jpg

and the company sent me another at no cost. Maybe it was a special introductory offer <shrug> I essentially bought the machine for a quick hit in the afternoon, and the pre-ground is perfect for that. It also adds to the Italian espresso feeling which rounds out the experience.

However, I'd be more satisfied had I purchased the next larger size.  This one's a skosh small for my big hands, just a bit too dainty.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

A 9 tray Excalibur Dehydrator. Purchased on eBay to replace the Harvest Maid FD-5000, Solid State w/dryness sensor probe, circa 1985, that I inherited from my mom. At just shy of 40 years of relatively steady use, the Harvest Maid finally pooped out.

The Excalibur is not quite as quiet as the HM, but it does dry faster and has a bit more drying space than it’s predecessor.

IMG_0145.thumb.jpeg.caa7a8d425fa0dd4d74b89715e6d4215.jpegIMG_0146.thumb.jpeg.a8f065f72de77434c8b97e394a8a6fd5.jpeg

• Like 10

15 hours ago, DesertTinker said:

A 9 tray Excalibur Dehydrator. 

[...]

The Excalibur is not quite as quiet as the HM, but it does dry faster and has a bit more drying space than it’s predecessor.

That's neat.  How much space does it take up, what's it's footprint?

How does it work? Where's the heat and how is it circulated?

• Like 1

... Shel

32 minutes ago, Shel_B said:

That's neat.  How much space does it take up, what's it's footprint?

How does it work? Where's the heat and how is it circulated?

It’s 16.5” wide by 19.5” deep by 12.5” tall. Here’s a view of the inside (found online). IMG_0148.png.f53b33fa8f518c8d06483d094af76324.png

The 7” fan pulls air from the back (via holes that aren’t very visible in this pic) over the heating element that sits just behind it, blows it through the trays, warm moist air is exhausted through gaps around the door on the front. Super simple construction, remove 8 screws and the back panel which holds all the “works” comes off. The best part is, replacement parts are readily available and easy to remove/reinstall.

Edited by DesertTinker
Punctuation (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have wanted some 2 liter mason jars for fermentation for a while but getting them has been problematic due to shipping costs. So I tagged along on a trip down to Melbourne on Sunday and made it to Kitchen Warehouse, which actually has a fancy storefront for the foodies, but apparently is well set up to get things to restaurants quickly.

Not without some issues because they don't know that their jars take wide mouth Ball lids (why would you make anything different?). Pretty ridiculous because the replacement lids they sell are only in a set of a band and a lid for about $7.00. Anyway I took a lid down with me, found a single jar on a clearance shelf where I could test it and decide it should work. Had to send someone into the back for Barkeepers Friend and picked up off-brand microplanes and kitchen shears. So a bit of a weird operation but a successful trip. 

image.thumb.jpeg.d92b4d69a17908b930c7c7f833d12de3.jpeg

• Like 8

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

On 9/7/2024 at 11:47 AM, Laurentius said:

Yes.  I have a much older VM (looks like a chrome toaster).  It's got a SS beaker and has been absolutely bulletproof.

Like you, I tried "cooking" soup in it just to test the maker's claim.  I agree it does work, but takes a long time.  Plus, I've never thought the soup improved--I think it reaches a degree of smoothness that no additional time will improve.

I have two of those in my barn, which randomly stopped working for no readily apparent reason. One of them has subsequently had stuff spilled on it and may no longer be viable, but I hope to carve out time to dismantle and troubleshoot the other.

Truthfully I seldom used it for anything except crushing ice (my GF's meds often give her dry mouth, and she really likes a cup of ice powder; basically a snow cone without the artificial flavors and colors), but it excelled at that and presumably at some point I'd have found other uses for it. That whole "make hot soup through friction" thing never appealed to me, I must say. It's bloody loud, so leaving it on for an extended period is a non-starter for me. I'd rather make my soup conventionally, and enjoy the peace and quiet as it simmers.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

4 hours ago, chromedome said:

I hope to carve out time to dismantle and troubleshoot the other.

If you're interested, there's a guy I found on eBay who parts out and resells parts for older VM stuff.  Last I checked, he also still had a run of spline adapters to make older VMs work with newer bins.

I'll look for his direct contact info if you want.  Just PM me.

18 minutes ago, Laurentius said:

If you're interested, there's a guy I found on eBay who parts out and resells parts for older VM stuff.  Last I checked, he also still had a run of spline adapters to make older VMs work with newer bins.

I'll look for his direct contact info if you want.  Just PM me.

I expect it's an electric or mechanical issue; a failed switch or a bad solder joint or a failed capacitor or something like that. I wouldn't be buying a new Vitamix to use with the old SS jars unless I found one at the same kind of price point (ie, $25 CAD at Value Village) and that's pretty unlikely.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning