• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Making for Pi Day?

gulfporter

Pi Day is huge in Princeton, since Einstein spent quite a bit of time living here. Many of the local bakeries have some kind of pie specials.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Our last home in the US was near St. Petersburg, FL.  Their regional airport carries the airport code of PIE. 

On Pi Day the local Chamber of Commerce handed out mini-pies to arriving passengers.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Friends in northern CA told me that one local pizza shop on Pi Day will sell small pizzas for $3.14 with unlimited toppings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My no-bake peanut butter/cream cheese pie is in fridge setting up.  After firm and chilled I will schmear it with melted chocolate. 

Once years ago I tried to 'upscale' the standard recipe by substituting real whipped cream for the Cool Whip.  That experiment resulted in a weeping pie almost immediately. And it really didn't improve the flavor profile.  

I never made this pie in Mexico before because there is no Cool Whip.  I mentioned this First World problem to a friend who pointed me to what she said is an acceptable Cool Whip sub.  Oddly, not sold frozen, but in the refrigerated section.  

Less sweet (a good thing IMO) but the same hydrogenated oil.  

Oh...discovered I didn't have any powdered sugar after I started making it.  Honestly you cannot tell it's missing.  Simple recipe...1 small jar peanut butter, 1 8 oz (more or less) cream cheese, 1 container Chantilly (Cool Whip substitute).  I bought a pre-made cookie crust for base.  

It won't win any baking titles but mi esposo will love it!

chantilly.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

Do you have the ability to share your recipe? ^_^

I've been craving the peanut butter & chocolate cream pies from the time of my Honeymoon in Maui 2 years ago. 

It seemed a popular item there but I've had trouble finding any where I live. -_-

(They placed chocolate over the crust, it might have been more of a ganche?, then the cream on top so I'd be curious to see how this one sets :) )