Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks 2021


heidih
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Edited to add That the UK Kindle edition is not available in N. America. 

 

But you can always visit the UK. Especially if you have an address in London or something, a little pied-à-terre that you only visit occasionally but keep on your Amazon account for your brief visits and then you just let Amazon know that your country has changed while you are there and then you change it back once you are back in North America. You know, as we worldly types are wont to do.   🙂

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/3/2021 at 8:16 AM, weinoo said:

I have enough Lidia books, but I've always like Pati and have none of hers!

Having eaten in Lydia's restaurants I have no desire for her books

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, gfweb said:

Having eaten in Lydia's restaurants I have no desire for her books

 

Felidia (back in the day) was quite good! Better in a high-end than most Italian restaurants in this country - back in the day. (Del Posto at its height was no slouch either).

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

 

Felidia (back in the day) was quite good! Better in a high-end than most Italian restaurants in this country - back in the day. (Del Posto at its height was no slouch either).

Wish I ate there. Lidia, a small chain,  was the worst Italian food I've ever had. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, FauxPas said:

 

But you can always visit the UK. Especially if you have an address in London or something, a little pied-à-terre that you only visit occasionally but keep on your Amazon account for your brief visits and then you just let Amazon know that your country has changed while you are there and then you change it back once you are back in North America. You know, as we worldly types are wont to do.   🙂

 

Thank you. It’s an interesting thought. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, liuzhou said:

That is quite common for all kinds of books. I have one friend (British) who bought Fuchsia Dunlop's "Sichuan Cookery" and loved it so much that, when she saw another book called "Land of Plenty: A Treasury of Authentic Sichuan Cooking" by the same author, she had to have that, too.

When it was delivered she was disappointed to discover it she now had two copies of the same book - the only minor difference being that weights were in grams in the UK version but in some obscure medieval concepts like 'cups' and 'taels'or some such in the US version.

 

Sichuan Cookery and Land of Plenty were published 4 years apart rather than being released at pretty much the same time so it's a little different from the Claudia Roden books being released in Sept & Oct of the same year but your point of this being quite common is well taken. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think this was from Bookbub...

 

"Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers: Fresh Ideas for the Weeknight Table: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see the list of recipes.

 

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

  • Thanks 1

 

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

 

Tim Oliver

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I just received Claudia Roden's Med: A Cookbook and look forward to reading it.   As discussed above, I ordered the UK edition with the pretty cover rather than the dull-looking US version coming out next month. 

Med.thumb.jpeg.28163ecafa5ed7e538fd89006c54ea52.jpeg

Here's a nice article from the Guardian that includes a few recipes from the book: Claudia Roden: ‘What do I want from life now? Having people around my table’

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't bake that much so I really don't need more baking books but somehow All Day Baking: Savoury, Not Sweet (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) by Michael James and Pippa James jumped into my cart the other day and turned up at my doorstep.  

Aside from spoons, measurements are all in weights, including eggs. Both grams and ounces are given but the intro states that the recipes were tested with grams and recommends using those weights.  Measuring spoons are Australian standard measures 

The flavor combinations are intriguing. Kimchi & Cheddar Puff Pastry Tarts, anyone?  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

I don't bake that much so I really don't need more baking books but somehow All Day Baking: Savoury, Not Sweet (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) by Michael James and Pippa James jumped into my cart the other day and turned up at my doorstep.  

Aside from spoons, measurements are all in weights, including eggs. Both grams and ounces are given but the intro states that the recipes were tested with grams and recommends using those weights.  Measuring spoons are Australian standard measures 

The flavor combinations are intriguing. Kimchi & Cheddar Puff Pastry Tarts, anyone?  

 

That looked interesting, thanks.  I put it in my amazon "saved for later".

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

The flavor combinations are intriguing. Kimchi & Cheddar Puff Pastry Tarts, anyone?  

 

Reminds me of Kimcheez-Its from Milk Bar Life.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

 

Amazon did not find this.  Nor did I find it in my mail.

 

 

I haven't come across a US release date.  Not that this helps you, JNW, but for our Canadian friends, the Kindle version is currently available on Amazon.ca for $33.99 with a Canadian hardcover release date of 23Nov2021.

The UK edition, which I pre-ordered from Book Depository had a pub date of 14Oct2021.  I paid $40.04 USD

Some US cookbook shops are importing the UK edition but the prices I've seen are rather high. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Somehow I thought Book Depository was part of amazon?  (Checked the fine print just now, it is.)  No matter, I am broke, and currently fed up with Kindle books.  Not with the Kindle platform per se; but with shady, shoddy, unscrupulous Kindle publishers who publish unusable culinary Kindle junk.  I'm looking at you, Simon & Schuster.

 

I much prefer UK editions of UK cookbooks to questionable transatlantic copies.  Though now with BREXIT, and the UK reverting to their idea of Imperial measures* which are incorrect to start with, I don't want to be converting temperatures from gas mark.

 

 

*shades of 1984.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, Book Depository was bought out by Amazon some time back. 
I also prefer UK editions of UK cookbooks. Book Depository is one source with free shipping via USPS for the final and lately rather slow leg within the US but I’ve also ordered from others, like Blackwell's, which charges a modest shipping fee but uses more expedited services like FedEx.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

A friend gifted to me this book last night...

 

IMG_5411.thumb.jpeg.cb8c90fbc4f378c51d7aea135b9a4fa8.jpeg

 

Maybe all of you know who Marty Ginsburg was, but if not...

 

IMG_5412.thumb.jpeg.910802fd433256109b1bcc8e49695927.jpeg

 

He was the husband of Ruth Bader Ginsburg, aka The Notorious RBG.

 

The book, Chef Supreme (eG-friendly Amazon.com link), was put together by the spouses of the other 8 justices...despite their often major differences in ideology, evidently they kind of all like each other; or at least they did ten years ago.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2021 at 6:55 PM, blue_dolphin said:

In today's mail:  499 pages of Nigel Slater:

Despite that I will not likely cook a single thing from this book. And despite that I swore I would never spend more than $20 on a kindle book, my resistance was futile. I have no will power and no regrets. Nigel Slater (even at 100 pts font size) still enchants. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I accidentally came across Sam Sifton‘s latest offering, No Recipe Recipes. I was quite curious as to how you write a recipe book without writing recipes. Since the Canadian Kindle price was a mere $4.99, I purchased it. How disappointing! It is filled with recipes. :laugh:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I accidentally came across Sam Sifton‘s latest offering, No Recipe Recipes. I was quite curious as to how you write a recipe book without writing recipes. Since the Canadian Kindle price was a mere $4.99, I purchased it. How disappointing! It is filled with recipes. :laugh:


Ha ha!  I thought the same thing when I saw the preview “non-recipes” on NYT Cooking. He's just omitted the list of ingredients and quantities that everyone agrees isn’t copyright-able and doesn’t constitute a recipe! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you don't really want to spend all your hard-earned dough on those MCP books, this can be yours, signed...

 

image.thumb.png.f0ba1fb81f695945961a7adf6c4600de.png

 

For $35!!!

 

And - it's everything you need to know!

 

Also - I can say for a fact - Katie is way cuter than Nathan M.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

If you don't really want to spend all your hard-earned dough on those MCP books, this can be yours, signed...

 

image.thumb.png.f0ba1fb81f695945961a7adf6c4600de.png

 

For $35!!!

 

And - it's everything you need to know!

 

Also - I can say for a fact - Katie is way cuter than Nathan M.

 

But what if "a rim that is crisp, deeply caramelized, and shatters when you bite through it" is not your idea of pizza?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/16/2021 at 8:52 PM, blue_dolphin said:

I’ve also ordered from others, like Blackwell's, which charges a modest shipping fee but uses more expedited services like FedEx.

 

Perhaps this has changed, but it looks like Blackwell's now includes US delivery in their prices (which seem quite competitive).

 

(No mention of who the shipping carrier is, though here in the Northeast I've found that things sent via UK Royal Mail sometimes arrive faster than USPS.)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...