• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Imperfect, Misfit, Etc. (The Food Delivery Services)

Chris Hennes

Just got a Wild Fork order.  They changed from the big insulated box to a bag with insulating plastic wrap and dry ice.

Today it was OK, but its 42 F outside and the remaining dry ice was just a sliver.  This won't work in May.

I've emailed them.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Small veg box mid-week. Good timing with a snow storm today. No pantry or cold pack needed. Plenty of root crops from the last order. Needed to hit the delivery amount so added the mulberries. Love having a variety of dried fruits in the pantry. Granola, salads, etc.

The bag of 6 avocados are from Loredo, TX. Had not noticed that before.

IMG_2557.jpeg

• Like 3

Nice Walden feast. They had to cancel a week ago due to a snow storm. So rescheduled for yesterday. I was not ready for it last week so that's fine. 

I over-ordered stock bones. If I needed to use it all for a master stock tomorrow I would need to pull out the big lobster pot. I prefer beef knuckle bones to be cut rather than the size of a nerf football. I prefer to make small batch master stocks in my maslin. Every 6-8 weeks. Easy to manage on a back burner. Easier to cool down and process for the freezer in 1/2 pints. 

Best to stick with what I purchased before---chicken necks, feet, pork bones and get beef bones elsewhere cut properly. The chicken backs are a solid meaty clump. Not easily separated. The feet and necks are easy to break apart without thawing and freeze for later. Previously my beef and backs were from a restaurant supply and bagged frozen loose. Easy to re-bag in gallon zips and freezer for later. The chicken necks make excellent stock easily sinking under the water surface being already small pieces. 4.5 lb bag was 5.50$.

(just a heads up about the giant knuckle bones)---one order is two big knuckles. The second one not used tomorrow is now a freezer hog. 

WALDEN 3-22.png

• Like 3

On 3/12/2022 at 2:16 PM, Annie_H said:

Nice Walden feast

I had received a grass-fed NY Strip steak with my first delivery from Walden.  Or should I say 2 NY Strips, each nice and thick.  I pan cooked one up the other night and it was as good a home cooked steak as we've had in quite some time. Made a horseradish/mustard pan sauce too.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Smallish order this week.  My box was delayed but, again, everything was fine.  This is two weeks in a row that they haven't offered limes

@JoNorvelleWalker I feel your pain.

thumbnail_IMG_2074.jpg.3191c09aa7a28a28ecd0a3df7cf026cc.jpg

When I was last at Shoprite they had no loose limes at all.  I survived with two clamshell packages of organic.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Same here, Shoprite last weekend, no limes, but plenty of nice lemons. In the vein of filling the empty slots, lemons were in the spot where limes should have been. Along with where they belong.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

45 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

Same here, Shoprite last weekend, no limes, but plenty of nice lemons. In the vein of filling the empty slots, lemons were in the spot where limes should have been. Along with where they belong.

Strangely (and very much unlike Shoprite) the lime bins were just barren and empty.  I hope to make it back tomorrow.

My first Misfits box was back in the Fall of 2019 when it was a 'mystery'. Always have had limes and lemons. Had I known a few weeks ago I would have zested and juiced and ice cube trayed a few of each. I still have a half dozen Meyer lemons from my tree but found a couple rotty limes in the crisper this morning. A shame to get comfortable with supply, then none available. Limes are a basic staple for us and a lemon or two for seafood. 

My Misfits came a day early again. Massive yellow beet greens. No mistakes, no complaints. The only 'ugly' is the purple sweet potatoes. They seem to be generous about tossing in something extra. I did get a cracker that I did not order. Seems standard to toss in something extra. Or maybe a mistake. No leeks but we will live without. 

I did get a cold pack but put away without a pic. VermontCreamery butter and goat cheese. A few other cheeses. A few portions frozen solid no problem.

Nice to have some root crops again as those baskets were thin. 

Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 5.15.47 PM.png

• Like 1

Email from Misfits last night — looks like they are raising shipping from $4.50 to $7.99 for existing members (with the suggestion that new subscriber shipping is higher). They also mention adding more grocery staples to the offering, and some kind of loyalty program that will include shipping discounts.

I don't begrudge them the increase — $4.50 was almost certainly unsustainably low, and we can just place larger orders less often.

Not ordering much from anyone right now — we are well stocked with vegetables from our CSA boxes. And fruit selection — a big reason we've used Misfits/Imperfect — is kind of dismal everywhere at this time of year, with citrus tapering off and not much else ramping up. Our garage stays at ~45F and has turned out to be ideal for storing apples; we're well stocked there from before the orchards closed, and just supplement with reliable stuff like kiwis, pineapples, clementines, and bananas that are easier and cheaper to get via local curbside.

Still really want to try an order from Umamicart or Weee! — but I dragged myself to the local Chinese supermarket yesterday so it isn't really pressing.

Edited by dtremit (log)
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, dtremit said:

Email from Misfits last night — looks like they are raising shipping from $4.50 to $7.99

I'm not surprised. When they added the cold packs and a more extensive pantry I often received 2 big boxes at the 4.50 shipping. Makes more sense to charge 4.50 per box. I'll just order less often. Every three weeks. Once a month if that during the summer months. 

I liked a first look at Umamicart but they did not have a few basic staples I like. Limited noodle selection so HMart is my go-to two/three times a year. 

I zipped through my last Misfits greens so I will just double/tripple as they do last long especially the laccinato kale and collards. Beet greens and chard I used first. Root crops are still good from a couple weeks ago.

2 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

I liked a first look at Umamicart but they did not have a few basic staples I like. Limited noodle selection so HMart is my go-to two/three times a year. 

You might do better with Weee! — my impression is that Umamicart's selection is more skewed toward high-end products whereas Weee! is closer to what I find in a typical Chinese market. For noodles specifically I noticed they had a large selection from Twin Marquis (which is sort of ubiquitous here in the Northeast).

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, dtremit said:

You might do better with Weee!

Much better selection. If I can't get to HMart when my pantry thins I will give them a try. Thanks!

HMart wins for fresh veg like cabbages, bok choy, scallions,Thai basil, kimchi, etc. And a hand cut dried noodle we like. 

TwinMarquis I think is Brooklyn based. Started In ChinaTown years ago. (I think). I keep mine in the freezer for some reason. They hold up well from frozen. They may have beed delivered frozen from Baldor or I would have done that. 

3 hours ago, dtremit said:

Email from Misfits last night — looks like they are raising shipping from $4.50 to $7.99 for existing members (with the suggestion that new subscriber shipping is higher). They also mention adding more grocery staples to the offering, and some kind of loyalty program that will include shipping discounts.

Interesting. I’ve been paying $6.99 for shipping since I joined them back in January. I did not receive an email about price increasing/loyalty program. 

I've been shipping Misfit boxes about once a month to my family home down south. Usually when a sibling visits to show up the day after their flights. Idaho and Florida. My childhood home is in a food dessert. No Costco, Aldi, TraderJoes, WholeFoods within a 100 miles. Just a trashy dollar store type grocery within walking distance and they are not mobile enough now to even get there. Dependent on home care help with grocery supplies. (frozen pot pies). No name brand mayo just awful. I grew up with Hellmans. They no longer care. 

Win-win I can have a few boxes sent the day after my trip, (driving). No longer traveling with a couple coolers from NY. No longer a day of shopping a few grocery stores that takes all day here at home. Pop does not care about organic anymore at his age but siblings do. 

I can concentrate on menu planning without shopping frustrated in such a small town. Now that Misfits has VermontCreamery, ThreeLittlePigs prosciutto and other salami, chorizo, Murray chicken, thick pork loin steaks, avocado mayo, decent crackers and Tate cookies...dried fruits and nuts, grains and granola...decent cheese selection like VermontCreamery goat cheese and skyr yogurt, I'm happy. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Annie_H said:

I've been shipping Misfit boxes about once a month to my family home down south. Usually when a sibling visits to show up the day after their flights. Idaho and Florida. My childhood home is in a food dessert. No Costco, Aldi, TraderJoes, WholeFoods within a 100 miles. Just a trashy dollar store type grocery within walking distance and they are not mobile enough now to even get there. Dependent on home care help with grocery supplies. (frozen pot pies). No name brand mayo just awful. I grew up with Hellmans. They no longer care. 

Win-win I can have a few boxes sent the day after my trip, (driving). No longer traveling with a couple coolers from NY. No longer a day of shopping a few grocery stores that takes all day here at home. Pop does not care about organic anymore at his age but siblings do. 

I can concentrate on menu planning without shopping frustrated in such a small town. Now that Misfits has VermontCreamery, ThreeLittlePigs prosciutto and other salami, chorizo, Murray chicken, thick pork loin steaks, avocado mayo, decent crackers and Tate cookies...dried fruits and nuts, grains and granola...decent cheese selection like VermontCreamery goat cheese and skyr yogurt, I'm happy. 

Consider wild fork for your family?

thumbnail_IMG_2129.jpg.b91d39f19f0c616a48b2028fec75378a.jpg

I didn't get an email regarding the shipping costs.  I've been paying $5.50.  And, like @dtremitsaid, I won't mind paying a bit more if and when they do raise my price.  I've recently been to Dillion's and Wal-mart.  At both places their produce was not in good shape.  I get way better stuff by using Misfits.  Granted, at times I can't get some items that I want because they aren't available, but I can live with that.

• Like 3

On 3/24/2022 at 6:52 PM, gfweb said:

Consider wild fork for your family?

I like what I see from WildFork but have never ordered. Too high end for my family. Dad has been doing the shopping the past 5-6 year until he lost his license (thankful for that!). He was purchasing the cheapest on sale and no-name brands. Only boneless skinless chicken thighs  and the 10lbs salmon I send from AlaskanWildCaught every year. (small cryovacked portions). Everything is poached and boiled or microwaved. They never really learned how to cook or cared. Food is fuel for living. Only pots and pans are RevereWare from their wedding in the 50's. Never canned goods or processed foods but some frozen veg and fresh fruits and greens. Steamed and boiled. Even the seldom steak or burger or pork chop is steamed. 

Misfits has more ThreeLittlePigs charcuterie like prosciutto and various salami and Muray whole chickens and lots of good decent cheeses like VermontCreamery butter and goat cheese. Pastrami and deli slices. Not local butcher quality but good for their 

food desert' and will please my siblings that care about organic. 

I have 4 days of meals planned for them. Includes a big master stock to make soups for their freezer. With Misfits cold pack I can do 90% from them with a small NY purchased cooler. They are on the Chesapeake so seafood is quality and reasonably priced local. One of the best in the area wholesalers has a retail store in my hometown.  

Misfits cuts out all that BigGrocery wasted travel. Straight from the cold warehouse to my door. No warehouse to packaging to grocery loading dock to the store shelf. Sits a few days misted with water. Then tossed when limp. 

My last misfits box was 10 days ago. So much still looks good if treated well. Next box delivered Wednesday this week as my crisper is thinning. 

I always cut a 1/4 inch or so off all veg when delivered and set all veg in a sink container for a drink before putting away in bread bags. 

I'll wait until delivery before I even think of hitting a grocery. 

Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 2.56.20 PM.png

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Annie_H said:

I like what I see from WildFork but have never ordered. Too high end for my family. Dad has been doing the shopping the past 5-6 year until he lost his license (thankful for that!). He was purchasing the cheapest on sale and no-name brands. Only boneless skinless chicken thighs  and the 10lbs salmon I send from AlaskanWildCaught every year. (small cryovacked portions). Everything is poached and boiled or microwaved. They never really learned how to cook or cared. Food is fuel for living. Only pots and pans are RevereWare from their wedding in the 50's. Never canned goods or processed foods but some frozen veg and fresh fruits and greens. Steamed and boiled. Even the seldom steak or burger or pork chop is steamed. 

Misfits has more ThreeLittlePigs charcuterie like prosciutto and various salami and Muray whole chickens and lots of good decent cheeses like VermontCreamery butter and goat cheese. Pastrami and deli slices. Not local butcher quality but good for their 

food desert' and will please my siblings that care about organic. 

I have 4 days of meals planned for them. Includes a big master stock to make soups for their freezer. With Misfits cold pack I can do 90% from them with a small NY purchased cooler. They are on the Chesapeake so seafood is quality and reasonably priced local. One of the best in the area wholesalers has a retail store in my hometown.  

Misfits cuts out all that BigGrocery wasted travel. Straight from the cold warehouse to my door. No warehouse to packaging to grocery loading dock to the store shelf. Sits a few days misted with water. Then tossed when limp. 

My last misfits box was 10 days ago. So much still looks good if treated well. Next box delivered Wednesday this week as my crisper is thinning. 

I always cut a 1/4 inch or so off all veg when delivered and set all veg in a sink container for a drink before putting away in bread bags. 

I'll wait until delivery before I even think of hitting a grocery. 

Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 2.56.20 PM.png

Steamed steak??

• Sad 2

Wild Fork opened a brick and mortar store 5 minutes from my office, looking forward to getting over there for some fish.

• Like 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde