• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Imperfect, Misfit, Etc. (The Food Delivery Services)

Chris Hennes

thumbnail_IMG_2549.jpg.3ed98d8789f9f492650faa1ebe73c630.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2550.jpg.828888b9af00ded1036e29022a4506d5.jpg

All good, as usual.

I keep trying to find iced coffee that I like.  Haven't tasted this yet....suspect that I don't care for oat milk but we will see.  Why did I buy two????????  'Cause I'm an idiot lol.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I keep trying to find iced coffee that I like.  Haven't tasted this yet....suspect that I don't care for oat milk but we will see.  Why did I buy two????????  'Cause I'm an idiot lol.

You might experiment with the Greek popular one. Uses instant Nescafe but can be done with instant espresso if you like it deeper flavored   https://www.mygreekdish.com/recipe/greek-frappe-coffee-recipe-iced-coffee/     https://www.target.com/p/medaglia-d-oro-espresso-instant-dark-roast-coffee-2oz

• Delicious 1

On 6/19/2022 at 5:44 PM, Shelby said:

Most of the beverages are 2-4 count. Your cold brew came in a (2ct). So you did not buy two. The shelf stable tofu I like is (2ct). I always miss that as well. Looks expensive until I realize the price is for 2-4. 

My favorite commercial brand is Grady's cold brew. Nice story. He started making small batch at home, then went up a bit to a small space and only sold local NYC. Now has a big space in the Bronx. Work has Grady's by the case. 

I was over-indulging so switched to afternoon cold brew green teas. Still use my cold brew filter. Loose leaf with ginger, lemon, etc.

This brand from country line kitchen

Probably should pick up a lid or the lid with handle. I have the one quart filter. 14$ for the filter. No real need for special equipment. Just need a coarser grind than most hot brewing methods. Filter through a nut bag or cheesecloth. But the filter I have is heavy duty and dishwasher safe. Don't care for the blendered ginger/turmeric pulp. 

• 2 weeks later...

Nice haul for the weekend. Two boxes. This will help solidify my menu. No need for any other shopping as all I ordered was present and then some. Did not order skirt steak, goat cheese, or mozzarella. (two pounds). Thought at first I received someone else's box. Everything else was spot on. Not sure why I keep getting freebies. 

Lamb ribs are new to us. 3 packs of chicken legs, 4 per pack, are a plan B. Decided to put the chicken in the freezer for another time---solid frozen at arrival.

My menu began huge but cutting it down as I do. Lamb ribs are long and slender and will be an appetizer with a shorter cooking time than the StLouis. (D'artagnan recipe for the lamb). 

Not shown are new potatoes, Persian cucumbers, bag of red onions. (quick pickles)

Typical they sent two cabbages being small. I ordered one. About two pounds each so turns out to be 75cents a pound. 1.25 each.

I planned to make mini ice cream sandwiches with the thin chocolate cookies but that will not happen this weekend. No time. My crowd is fine with just a chocolate bar treat---trying the DrBronners bars. 

Plums look good so may grill them.

Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 11.31.49 AM.png

• Like 4

Misfits does have kimchi paste and FlyByJin chili crisp. They sent me the kimchi paste a month or so ago as a freebie. I would never order as I make my own.image.thumb.png.e7b5b589c23942a8afc43fff11b61927.png I have the FBJ chili crisp in my pantry but also make my own so have not opened that jar yet to compare.

My first kimchi was in Korea restaurants, grocery from HMart, then Maangchi easy quick kimchi

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, heidih said:

@Shelby on the chicken thigh price - are they skin on, bone-in or?- what is the price that sends your guy into orbit?

They are mostly skinless and all boneless.  I never bought them until Misfits came into my life and they are just so handy when I want some chicken in something--such as that Asian chicken salad.  Ronnie is right...  he can skin and bone out thighs much cheaper from a whole chicken or a bag of chicken quarters....BUT.  He never does and so......I just buy some once in a while to have.

They are $4.87 total for 14 ounces.  Not cheap.  But ....sigh.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Don't feel bad, @Shelby. For kosher ones today, I paid $7.50/lb.  I can get other good ones for around $5/lb.

• Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

They are mostly skinless and all boneless.  I never bought them until Misfits came into my life and they are just so handy when I want some chicken in something--such as that Asian chicken salad.  Ronnie is right...  he can skin and bone out thighs much cheaper from a whole chicken or a bag of chicken quarters....BUT.  He never does and so......I just buy some once in a while to have.

BUT. He never does and so..  therein lies the rub!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

EXACTLY

but I may need to move in with you if he finds out

Just repackage them into your usual freezer bags when he's not nearby and tell him you skinned and boned them, if he asks. He probably won't ask. 🙂

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Just repackage them into your usual freezer bags when he's not nearby and tell him you skinned and boned them, if he asks. He probably won't ask. 🙂

OMG. Brillant idea.  Yep. Thank you!!!

• Haha 1

Welp, Misfits caught up with me. I genuinely thought I had paused all delivered until August because that option was right in my face. Canceling? Not so much. 

I was wrong. And now I have a pre determined “box” where I didn’t choose any items coming to me Saturday. I will likely offer it to my neighbors and family. By the time it gets here I’ll have less than 2 weeks until my home closes and for now I am packing and not cooking. 

I’m also going to try to get customer service on the phone to see if they can either donate the box or re-route it to the local soup kitchen if they accept donations of food. 

I’m exhausted by the efforts needed to try to be as sneaky as the companies we rely in order to cancel memberships. 

Next up on the docket is MetsFan v. Ready Refresh, aka Poland Spring. 

To be fair, if I was not in the middle of packing and preparing for a move, the items they automatically choose are all things I could and would use. They stuck to the basics and I think that is a plus. 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

Welp, Misfits caught up with me. I genuinely thought I had paused all delivered until August because that option was right in my face. Canceling? Not so much. 

I think you are stressed out by the events of moving. Misfits will not send unless you ordered. If you started shopping by loading a cart that hits 30$, they will send. No need to hit a 'send' button at all. They will never send a misc box. Only your shopping cart. 

No tricks. Just a system that works quite clear but easily confusing for the first time. If you were just looking through the selections, and did not ever hit 'add to shopping cart', they would never send a random box. 

I have an open cart with AmazonWholeFoods for about two months now. No plans to complete the order to ship anytime soon. You must hit 'check out' for delivery.

Misfits is different. If I do not have a cart totaling 30+ they will not ship--for months. No club fees or ever needing to go in and suspend while on vacation, etc. 

14 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

To be fair, if I was not in the middle of packing and preparing for a move, the items they automatically choose are all things I could and would use. They stuck to the basics and I think that is a plus. 

Makes no sense. You must have gone through thinking you were holding items in a cart like amazon. 

10 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

I think you are stressed out by the events of moving. Misfits will not send unless you ordered.

Misfits added an option back in May called a "Weekly Grocery Plan"; if you opt into it, it works like Imperfect and auto-ships a pre-filled cart:

"When you shop at Misfits Market you’re already cutting out the hassle of a grocery trip. Now you can put your shopping on autopilot with our new weekly grocery plan. 

Just opt-in to the plan and we’ll pre-fill your cart with some of your favorite items each week so you’ll never forget to stock your fridge. Your picks will be personalized based on your past orders, and you can also select what you like and dislike in our new Preferences feature so you’ll get first dibs on what you love."

It's supposed to have been "opt in" for any existing customers, though. So unless @MetsFan5 opted in, there should have been no auto-shipment. (It should also be possible to opt back out.)

Edited by dtremit (log)

On 5/14/2022 at 5:07 PM, dtremit said:

I didn't take a picture, but our latest delivery box was from a specialty cousin of these services — Umamicart. I'd been thinking of placing an order from some time and was motivated by a discount. 

I just got an email from Umamicart noting that they are now delivering to a much wider area — looks like they're expanding from BOS/NYC/DC to everything east of the Mississippi (except, oddly, Louisiana).

22 minutes ago, dtremit said:

Misfits added an option back in May called a "Weekly Grocery Plan";

Never saw that but would not suit us as I rotate different items every other week so I get what I need in rotation. Typical pantry once a month from May first. Most still not used yet. Back-ups. Except for the pork rinds that last 10 minutes un-boxing. I've heard they are a great breadcrumb substitution but doubt that will ever happen. 

21 minutes ago, dtremit said:

I didn't take a picture, but our latest delivery box was from a specialty cousin of these services — Umamicart. I'd been thinking of placing an order from some time and was motivated by a discount. 

I liked what I saw last year but a few favorite staples they did not have. I can get in and out HMart pretty quick knowing where everything is. 

MISFITS PANTRY MAY 1 -22.jpeg

Took a bit to find it. Seems you still need to meet a 30$ regular selection to get the weekly. 

By clicking "Confirm," you are purchasing a continuous subscription and will be billed each week that your cart meets the $30 order minimum until you cancel. We will populate your weekly cart with the value of products described above, and you'll be charged the price of the products in your cart at the close of your shopping window, plus tax and shipping. 

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

Took a bit to find it. Seems you still need to meet a 30$ regular selection to get the weekly. 

By clicking "Confirm," you are purchasing a continuous subscription and will be billed each week that your cart meets the $30 order minimum until you cancel. We will populate your weekly cart with the value of products described above, and you'll be charged the price of the products in your cart at the close of your shopping window, plus tax and shipping. 

Yeah, I think if you take stuff out of your cart during the shopping window it wouldn't ship out.

I personally prefer the "old way" and would be sad to see it go away, but I imagine there's a number of people who'd like to "set and forget."