• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Orange Julius

Host's note: this topic was split from the Strawberries topic.

23 hours ago, shain said:

I love fruit milks, I had thin milk based shakes many times but only really "discovered" their potential in Taiwan. Amazing papaya milk, melon milk, weird but memorable orange milk, and also strawberry milk. And for some reason asparagus juice...

Orange milk?

Orange Julius?

At almost 66 years of age I am craving everything strawberry.....

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

8 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

Orange milk?

Orange Julius?

At almost 66 years of age I am craving everything strawberry.....

Never heard of Orange Julius before, seems mostly similar.

~ Shai N.

4 minutes ago, shain said:

Never heard of Orange Julius before, seems mostly similar.

US mall thing from back in the 70's ans 80's.

• Like 1

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

5 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

US mall thing from back in the 70's ans 80's.

I so wish no one had mentioned Orange Julius. If you see motion in the ground beneath you don't worry. It's just me crawling from one rabbit hole into another.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, suzilightning said:

US mall thing from back in the 70's and 80's.

Not only in malls - plenty of freestanding ones, including in Times Square (which, back then, wasn't yet a mall).

image.png.8f0c5b0b6d76aa68e531ddff6c9a3eb6.png

It's been around since the 1920s!

• Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 minute ago, weinoo said:

Not only in malls - plenty of freestanding ones, including in Times Square (which, back then, wasn't yet a mall).

sorry, country girl here.  never saw a McDonalds until the early 1970's and that was 30+ miles away.  First saw an Orange Julius when we moved to Morris County NJ in 1983 and there was one in the Rockaway Mall.

• Like 1

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Orange Julius was something I took for granted growing up in NY. Wow, it certainly hijacked this thread. As soon as I polish off the strawberry milk I made yesterday I'm going to add frozen o.j. to the shopping list. My husband already thinks I am insane. He's really getting sick of strawberry milk and, as a native California boy I suspect he hasn't a clue about what's coming next.

This pandemic is one wild ride, neh? I started quarantine with a burst of cooking and now, well, I'm just making the same ten things over and over again. Until I find a new thing, and it goes into the bizarre rotation.

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Orange Julius was something I took for granted growing up in NY.

This Los Angeles mall girl used to see them as a treat. I preferred the lemon slushees. They made them in front of you and there was half a lemon floating.in the cup. 

3 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Orange Julius was something I took for granted growing up in NY. Wow, it certainly hijacked this thread. As soon as I polish off the strawberry milk I made yesterday I'm going to add frozen o.j. to the shopping list. My husband already thinks I am insane. He's really getting sick of strawberry milk and, as a native California boy I suspect he hasn't a clue about what's coming next.

This pandemic is one wild ride, neh? I started quarantine with a burst of cooking and now, well, I'm just making the same ten things over and over again. Until I find a new thing, and it goes into the bizarre rotation.

Depends on his age.    Roadside Orange Julius stands in the '40s-50s in California were shaped and colored like huge oranges.      Giant oranges were a fad, some selling orange juice, some Orange Julius and some Orange Julips.   Orange Julius were something that always sounded good on a long hot drive before car AC, but actually they were VERY sweet and left you with a cloying still=thirsty mouth feel.    Until you fell for them the next time.     I seem to remember a revival later in the century and that they sold a mix to add to orange juice...that was still very sweet.    It seems that Dairy Queen bought the name/rights to make them.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 1

eGullet member #80.

@suzilightning, not sure from your post if you are looking for something orange or strawberry.  Since the title suggests orange, you might be interested that @Darienne posted her recipe for an Orange Julep a while back. 

I know nothing about the actual Orange Julius but having grown up in a town a few miles south of @Darienne's Montreal memories and which featured our very own orange-shaped Orange Julep stand, I can certainly understand the appeal of that drink that always reminded me of a creamsicle. 

Here's a rather sad wintertime photo of the Plattsburgh, NY Orange Julep stand that I remember.

80843470_2863980006994821_6527768141462765568_o.jpeg.14b6047f3bb33c7a09babc221e28cd36.jpeg

These photos were featured on the Facebook page of a local tour company, the Greater Adirondack Ghost and Tour Company.  I dimly remember seeing cars of the vintage depicted in the photo above. 

This one below is a bit before my time:

10934084_861106843948824_6962296632814313857_n.jpeg.7147e67eba0053677e98552e16ed9b5a.jpeg

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add photo (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1

@suzilightning, maybe try one of these (strawberry Melona / popsicle).

150325812_Screenshot_2020-07-18MelonaIceBarStrawberryEuginaLimited.png.d58bc89cf8530a0a0fe2337d1fe815ae.png

Sort of like a strawberry Julius. IMO, the strawberry Melona does have real strawberry (and milky) flavor. Delicious.

Strawberry Julius was a real flavor variety and was sold at Orange Julius stores. The original flavor of Melona was melon, specifically, honeydew. Hence, the name "Melona."

• Like 1

Didn't O.J. also sell packets of the drink in powered form?   And I also remember being able a pay  bit more and have an egg added.  I recall a bank of blenders all whirring around, filled with yummy stuff.  I've seen copy-cat recipes.  MIght be the time to dig one out and give it a try.  96 degrees here and one of those would more than hit the spot

• Like 1

5 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

@suzilightning, not sure from your post if you are looking for something orange or strawberry.  Since the title suggests orange, you might be interested that @Darienne posted her recipe for an Orange Julep a while back. 

I know nothing about the actual Orange Julius but having grown up in a town a few miles south of @Darienne's Montreal memories and which featured our very own orange-shaped Orange Julep stand, I can certainly understand the appeal of that drink that always reminded me of a creamsicle. 

Here's a rather sad wintertime photo of the Plattsburgh, NY Orange Julep stand that I remember.

80843470_2863980006994821_6527768141462765568_o.jpeg.14b6047f3bb33c7a09babc221e28cd36.jpeg

These photos were featured on the Facebook page of a local tour company, the Greater Adirondack Ghost and Tour Company.  I dimly remember seeing cars of the vintage depicted in the photo above. 

This one below is a bit before my time:

10934084_861106843948824_6962296632814313857_n.jpeg.7147e67eba0053677e98552e16ed9b5a.jpeg

Just a question--what's a "Michigan?" I understand Pizza and Submarines, but Michigans? Anybody know the answer?

Edited by Nancy in Pátzcuaro
typo (log)
  • Like 1

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

Don't know Michigans, but Steak and Shake makes an orange shake that tastes a whole lot like I remember an Orange Julius tasting.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

21 minutes ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

Just a question--what's a "Michigan?" I understand Pizza and Submarines, but Michigans? Anybody know the answer?

A michigan is a chili dog like item specific to the northeastern corner of NY state.  When I lived there, michigans were also available in adjacent areas of Vermont and Quebec. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add link (log)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Can you be more specific or offer more instruction?    

I had a michigan sauce recipe but can't seem to find that old recipe box.  If I do, I'll add it here. 

It's basically a well seasoned, but not particularly spicy, meaty, but not particularly saucy ground beef sauce.  This one seems pretty close, especially the step of initially cooking the meat with some liquid to ensure a very fine texture.  I recall the use of 3-4 T of chili powder.

Ideally, the hot dog should be one of the snappy red ones from Glazier Packing company.  The bun should be a split-top hot dog roll, although those are hard to come by these days, they do provide the best support for the contents. The bun should be lightly steamed.

The only condiments are a stripe of yellow mustard and fresh chopped onions.   

The onions are optional so if you're visiting a michigan stand, you order your michigan "with" for chopped onions on top of the sauce, "without" for no onions or "buried" for chopped onions underneath.   The latter is my preference as the warm bun, dog and sauce mellow out the rawness of the onion.  You may request extra hot sauce but do not ask for ketchup or relish. That would be gauche.

Ice cold beer is the appropriate beverage, preferably Labatt Blue.  None of that Blue Light stuff unless you are a sissy wimp 🤣

Edited by blue_dolphin
changed sissy to wimp in case that is less offensive (log)
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, weinoo said:

ahh, to be a fly on the wall when "significant eater" asks weinoo how the movie was.  🤕

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Steve R. said:

ahh, to be a fly on the wall when "significant eater" asks weinoo how the movie was.  🤕

Or the "LIVE ACTS"

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

course I'm also the dope who posted many years ago about the food in "gentlemen's clubs" that Bourdain assured us his friends raised their own beef so the food was of the highest order..... Kim WB was shocked that this librarian had posted that !!!!  Hey, research.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites