Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

boilsover

Watch Out, InstantPot, Blender, FP. Fair Warning Frypan!

Recommended Posts

$1500?!

 

😂

 

Not that I am an IP fan, but one could purchase an IP for each day of the week (and blenders) and still have money to spare, for that price tag!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TicTac said:

$1500?!

 

😂

 

Not that I am an IP fan, but one could purchase an IP for each day of the week (and blenders) and still have money to spare, for that price tag!

 

In a world where folks shell out $2500 for a PacoJet, $1800 for a ControlFreak, $400 for a VitaMix, $300 for a Robot Coupe  $100 for an Anova, and another $100 for an InstantPot. $1400 is a bit of a bargain, don't you think?

 

The Huntress here speaks highly of "Thermie", and I've seen one in use at L'Arpege. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, in my world $249 for a CSO is a price point I haven't yet managed to justify (and I bought my VitaMix used for $25, which is about what it's worth to me).

 

In truth, I've scratched my head over the Thermomix for years and don't really understand its appeal for anyone who isn't restricted to a kitchen the size of a phone booth. Perhaps I'm just a culinary Luddite.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, boilsover said:

The Huntress here speaks highly of "Thermie", and I've seen one in use at L'Arpege. 

 

You can find at least one Thermomix in almost all michelin starred restaurants. It's a great tool for combining mixing + cooking + blending, of all the professional blenders I used it's by far the best, you get purees that are so smooth that you almost don't need to pass them through a chinois. It pays for itself for all the time you save.

For home cooking... well, I'd say it's definetely overpriced. Personally, I think about twice per year "I'd like a Thermomix for this" while cooking at home. This depends mostly about how passionate/obsessive someone is for what he eats at home. If someone wants high end food (comparable to fine dining restaurants) every and each day, then it has sense to buy one. If someone just wants tasty comfort food, then it really has no sense. I don't care if my purees are not perfectly smooth, on the contrary, I'm happier since straining them through a chinois eliminate fibers, which I'm happier to include in my diet. The ability to cook at certain temperatures without attending the pot would save me like 15 minutes per month, too few.

 

 

 

Teo

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the ThermoMix is used by several of the HighEnd Chef's

 

on Great British Menu

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0071y6r

 

but not that often.   if you can afford one , and use it from time to time , why not ?

 

BTW :  All Michelin Starred Restaurants   have lots of things I don't have

 

like a Pots and Pans Clean Up brigade.

 

but   its said to be a fine machine by those you have one in their home kitchen

 

and its always nice to see Kitchen equipment upgraded.

 

and no one effectively makes a larger CSO 

 

maybe ThrmoM  or Brevelle might look into that project.

 

BTW   thanks for the pointer.   I love looking at Kitchen Equpment !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting and cool appliance. Its popularity puzzles me, though. Costs a ton and doesn't do much that I need.  Maybe if I made a lot of soup...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, boilsover said:

 

In a world where folks shell out $2500 for a PacoJet, $1800 for a ControlFreak, $400 for a VitaMix, $300 for a Robot Coupe  $100 for an Anova, and another $100 for an InstantPot. $1400 is a bit of a bargain, don't you think?

 

The Huntress here speaks highly of "Thermie", and I've seen one in use at L'Arpege. 

 

Not in the least.

 

Oh, and if you can find me a Robot Coupe at $300, I will take 5!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I also doubt that any ' regular ' here on eG has a PacoJet.

 

you would also have to have a blast-freezer for the full effect.

 

on Great British Menu   they used the TMX  for very complex sauces , and smooth beginnings of IceCream 

 

which then went into the Paco-Cups and the Blast-Freezer.

 

in my Younger Days , when I made complex sauces 

 

had I been able to afford one , and it worked well back then

 

I would have been all over it.


Edited by rotuts (log)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be clear, no criticism is intended (explicit or implicit) for anyone who has the necessary budget and level of enthusiasm. The world's economy would collapse if my interests were the societal yardstick. :P

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I also doubt that any ' regular ' here on eG has a PacoJet.

 

Gee, there was one here just the other day, looking to sell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

exactly.

 

One.

 

to sell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your point was to doubt any eG regulars have a PacoJet.  No? 

 

"I also doubt that any ' regular ' here on eG has a PacoJet."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rotuts said:

you would also have to have a blast-freezer for the full effect.

 

The biggest blast freezer producer in Italy sells a home version too:

http://irinoxfresco.com/

It works also as a low temperature oven, you can use it for proofing bread or cooking sous vide stuff (of course it's much less effective than a water bath with an Anova).

I know some people who bought it, price was around 2000 euro some years ago. They say they are happy, I suppose their electric company is happier.

With that money I would install a professional size electric circuit and buy a professional blast freezer (which costs half, is much bigger and performs better).

 

 

 

Teo

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rotuts said:

No.

 

Well, glad we cleared that up.  Whew!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My Pleasure .


Edited by rotuts (log)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2019 at 10:34 PM, teonzo said:

 

You can find at least one Thermomix in almost all michelin starred restaurants. It's a great tool for combining mixing + cooking + blending, of all the professional blenders I used it's by far the best, you get purees that are so smooth that you almost don't need to pass them through a chinois. It pays for itself for all the time you save.

For home cooking... well, I'd say it's definetely overpriced. Personally, I think about twice per year "I'd like a Thermomix for this" while cooking at home. This depends mostly about how passionate/obsessive someone is for what he eats at home. If someone wants high end food (comparable to fine dining restaurants) every and each day, then it has sense to buy one. If someone just wants tasty comfort food, then it really has no sense. I don't care if my purees are not perfectly smooth, on the contrary, I'm happier since straining them through a chinois eliminate fibers, which I'm happier to include in my diet. The ability to cook at certain temperatures without attending the pot would save me like 15 minutes per month, too few.

 

 

 

Teo

 

As a blender/processor how does it go with say making a nut butters? (puree) My sister has one but getting her to try out stuff like that and reporting back would be tantamount trying to surgically graft teats to a bull. 

 

I definitely like the idea of them and would probably use it enough to justify if it does the things I want which the new version is looking promising.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Balderdash.  That nut butter does not look at all smooth.  Has anyone thought to run the resulting nut butter through a grind gauge?  If so I'd be amused to learn the result.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, EatingBen said:

As a blender/processor how does it go with say making a nut butters?

 

It goes great.

You need to follow some guidelines though:

- nuts have different fat content, nuts with high fat content (like macadamias) give a liquid puree, while nuts with low fat content (like pistachios) give a thick paste, in this case it's better to add a small percentage (around 5%) of neutral vegetable oil, otherwise it's difficult for the machine to work properly;

- when the nuts become a paste then don't think it's done, it's just the beginning, to get a smooth nut butter (that's smooth at your palate and you don't feel any minimal grain) you need to continue for at least 10 minutes, if you are in doubt then much better 5 minutes more than less;

- work in cycles, like 5 minutes on and 5 minutes off, this way you prevent the nut butter to overheat (same with the machine engine).

 

 

 

Teo

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×