• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2004: What are you watching?

NickMach007

Well, sex sells.

She does appear to be a fairly good chef. But like with Nigella, the soft focus lenses, the mood lighting, the k-tel romance soundtrack all combine to make me feel like I'm watching one of those pay-per-view hotel movies (not that there's anything inherently wrong with that :wink: ) not a cooking show that I may learn something from.

Like watching Skin-amax, I feel like I need to turn the channel when my wife enters the room. :hmmm:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

So a couple of people have mentioned De Laurentiis.

I've never actually watched her show. What show does she host? What kind of show is it? Is it any good?

I don't know why I never watched her, but every time I see her in ads, I think there was something about her that rubbed me wrong...

Actually I was ready to write her off based on her looks - too pretty, too trendy, too thin - but then I happened to watch a show and it was alright. She is not overly irritating and seems to genuinely appreciate good food.

That's so funny. I never remember her name but she is the "big head lady" to me. She's probably an OK cook but she seems humorless and stresses weird points as if the viewer has done something naughty ("The water must come to a hard boil!!!").

I saw one and she was serving her in-studio "friends" after cooking and they were too much. "Oh my! This is delicious!", "You've done it again!" etc. It made me laugh out loud.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

That's exactly what I did, too. But I had a lot of time on my hands and watched one, and---ack!--liked it. She's definitely the antithesis of Rachel Ray, and she made goodies with her nieces one episode which I liked, and cooked with her Italian mama which I loved, and actually, on the show she doesn't come across as a bomb, but as a serious food luvur.

I have more or less ceased watching Food Network except as background "white noise" when I am in the kitchen. Alton Brown is interesting, but most of the shows are repetitive and not particularly interesting.

I have been watching the "Great Chef's" series and whatever the other couple of shows are produced by the same people. They are straight cooking shows narrated in overdub. Intersting and informative and full of technique. Dishes are cooked (more or less) from start to finish and the programs are very educational.

I do like Nigella, as a) she's funny b) she can cook (although her fried chicken was an abomination and proved to me once again that frying chicken may involve genetics as much as cooking ability).

I also like Jaucques Torres chocolate shows, even though the chances that I am going to make most of that stuff are pretty close to zero.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

When I started this thread I hadn't even realized how much less FN I had been watching. Wow! I used to watch it sooo much. But now my viewing time has really dwindled. I guess I just never stopped to notice or even think about it. Glad its not only me though.

Me, too. What ticks me off about FoodTV is how they keep shuffling their programs around. You get used to a certain lineup and then next week it's all completely changed...higglety pigglety, so to speak. So I just stopped watching.

What next? A Dweezil & Lisa marathon? Yeesh. :blink:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

No Toliver, the limit for me was a few weeks ago when they had a Paula Deen marathon---ran screaming from the room and tried to hide under the bed with the cat; but you know of course that means when they have enuff of them there will be a Sandra Lee marathon. That's when I predict a national outbreak of Elvis TV cures. Does anybody else get an earworm of "I'm a Barbie girl, in a Barbie world" when they see her? Or is it my meds? :biggrin:

No Toliver, the limit for me was a few weeks ago when they had a Paula Deen marathon---ran screaming from the room and tried to hide under the bed with the cat; but you know of course that means when they have enuff of them there will be a Sandra Lee marathon. That's when I predict a national outbreak of Elvis TV cures. Does anybody else get an earworm of "I'm a Barbie girl, in a Barbie world" when they see her? Or is it my meds? :biggrin:

If it's your meds than we're on the same meds 'cause I hear it too! "made

of plastic-it's fantastic"

Melissa

Did anyone see her pitiful chocolate things? I saw that and switched to the cartoon network for some reality television :laugh:

Has FN already had chcolate obsession week? And I missed it!?! :sad:

How will I be able to go on?

No, but as much as I may bash FN, it was a pretty cool idea (at least at first) that really took off. Who would of thought 10 years ago that you could have a channel with nothing but food and chefs? But I agree with Toliver. Why do they keep changing the times of all their programs? (Maybe so we have to keep tunning in all the time to catch our few favorites...)

As an aside though, I remember when MTV was actually Music Television-- now 99% has nothing to do with music at all. Seems FN is heading the same way. Shows like Date Plate and Lisa and Dweezil are just the start. I predict by 2006 there will be sitcom-style shows, reality shows, and more shows of people "who just like to eat" or in other words, with no real food knowledge or professional experience. I really hope I'm wrong though.

Come on Barbie let's go party!

I caught Jacques Torres on FN last night making a huge dark chocolate/white chocolate waiter holding a white chocolate tray of chocolate millefeuille (savory) and chocolate dipped strawberries that were decorated to look like tuxedos...

He absolutely...blows me away...

I caught Jacques Torres on FN last night making a huge dark chocolate/white chocolate waiter holding a white chocolate tray of chocolate millefeuille (savory) and chocolate dipped strawberries that were decorated to look like tuxedos...

Yes, Jacques is like a great artist trying to show you how he paints.... you can watch but few could ever duplicate the work!! It is fabulous, though!

I had a hunch Dweezil and Lisa were in trouble when I caught them on the "Today Show" and he was unable to flip the blueberry pancakes. Might have been something to do with the 6" skillet he was using.

Then I watched their first show and knew my hunch was right.

Well, butter my b--- and call me a biscuit!

Not to change the subject too much, but what does everyone think about Jamie Oliver? I can't decide. I think he can cook, but he seems a little goofy sometimes. Maybe its just me...

I have a few female friends who are big fans, but I'm not totally convinced its because of the food :wink:

I only watch MTV for something I particularly want to see. But they are becoming strangely intertwined, too. Ted Nugent would make a kickass food tv host, with Anthony Bourdain as one of his first guests; there could be some genuine eating havoc! If Dweezil and Lisa can make it, why not uncle Ted?

I only watch MTV for something I particularly want to see. But they are becoming strangely intertwined, too. Ted Nugent would make a kickass food tv host, with Anthony Bourdain as one of his first guests; there could be some genuine eating havoc! If Dweezil and Lisa can make it, why not uncle Ted?

I'd tune in! :biggrin:

The last time I saw actor John Ritter on tv was on the Conan O'Brian show, with Ted Nugent. John, Conan and Ted were cooking up some kind of critter stew. Ted was a laff riot... bring him on. :cool:

I watch what ever is on Food Network unless I have a good reason to change the channel. If I don't care for the show, or if it's a repeat, I'll mute the sound or just not pay attention.

Remebering back just a few short years ago I'd have a hard time complaining too much about anything appearing on a network devoted to food shows.

But, as Bob Dylan once said; "A lot of people ain't got no food on the table, but they gotta lotta forks and knives, and they gotta cut something?"

Not to change the subject too much, but what does everyone think about Jamie Oliver? I can't decide. I think he can cook, but he seems a little goofy sometimes. Maybe its just me...

I have a few female friends who are big fans, but I'm not totally convinced its because of the food :wink:

Jamie cooks, preps, and talks so fast that I get a little anxious watching

his show but overall, I like it. I'm also really starting to like R. Ray's

30 minutes a day which I couldn't stand for the longest time.

Melissa

I'm watching FoodTV less and less. They have dumbed-down to the masses, and the new shows are just ridiculous. Other than Sara Moulton and Alton Brown, there's nothing I really watch as a habit. I still like Biba & Cabrial on Discovery channel, and there are still a few I watch on PBS Saturday morning's lineup: America's Test Kitchen, Ciao Italia & Paul Prudhomme. That's about it.

Food Network is getting a little tired. When I first started watching it, I was mezmerized by the Galloping Gourmet, Ming Tsai, Iron Chef, and Mario. Good Eats is a perennial favorite, when I can catch it. I think now that's the only thing holding it together. Can't find Mario, Bobby Flay sucks, and Ming's gone. I do like 30 Minute Meals and Everyday Italian for the eye candy.

WTF is up with Top 5 and Unwrapped? Date Plate? Food Fight? Dweezil and Lisa? Man, they are reaching... now it's becoming entertainment (with food), just like MTV is entertainment (with music). The should drop the antics and just get on with the food.

My TIVO To Do List has the following:

A Cook's Tour (I think I have seen them all by now)

Molto Mario (all Puglia, all the time right now)

Good Eats (Now that there are new episodes again)

Boy Meets Grill (yeah, he's smarmy, but the food is pretty good)

Rick Bayless (I am growing tired of this quickly)

America's Test Kitchen

and it seems like every Saturday when I first turn on the TV Michael Chiarello is on (Bayless must be on before that and TIVO keeps it on PBS) - I watch it but only because I am too lazy to change the channel.

The great thing about TIVO is that I can usually watch something I want to watch instead of Unwrapped or Best Of or Top Five.

Bill Russell

Jacques Torres is a sculptor/artist of chocolate. The chances of me ever reproducing any of that stuff is less than zero. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy gawking at it and shaking my head in admiration and disbelief though.

Of all the things he's done, the tuxedoed chocolate dipped strawberries are pretty easy. I've made these before for a party to great success.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

But to me the very neatest thing about Jacque Torres is that although you know you (at least I) won't be attempting it, you get the method and technique given in a very civil and NOT condescending way. I don't even care for chocolate, and I adore him. And SO will watch him, also, where usually only Alton Brown and bigE get his attention. A definite keeper.