• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2004: What are you watching?

NickMach007

NickMach007,

Definitely understand what you're saying about celebrity chefs...I just really like his show and personality and kind of hoped he was above it. That's all.

SML

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

Definitely understand what you're saying about celebrity chefs...I just really like his show and personality and kind of hoped (Alton Brown) was above it.  That's all.

We all tend to do this, but it's too easy to stake out the moral high ground at someone else's expense.

For all we know, the celebrity chefs might all donate their product endorsement money to charities?

NickMach007,

Definitely understand what you're saying about celebrity chefs...I just really like his show and personality and kind of hoped he was above it. That's all.

SML

Above it all? If anyone on Food TV ever set out on a path to become a "name" it is Alton Brown. He worked very hard to get on there and it was in no way an accident(not that this is a bad thing, as I am one of those Luddites who happens to believe that hard work and self promotion go hand in hand and I also believe that if one is good at what he does he deserves all of the success available in whatever field is chosen).

I am pretty sure that, given the opportunity, you will see Alton as a huckster for a few products very soon. He is not exactly coming from a career at El Bulaundry.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Ther is a newer show on, can't remember times though. Its called something like "special requests" or "made to order" Anyone seen it?

Made to Order's the name, and I really like it. The interaction between Guy and Michael reminds me of how my brother and I act in the kitchen (or anywhere, for that matter)...same disgusted looks, rolled eyes, subtle barbed comments. I also like the wine and bar-related stuff...

(and check out their recipes on foodtv.ca. Dear GOD. I think I'll stick to gumbo.)

Todd McGillivray

"I still throw a few back, talk a little smack, when I'm feelin' bulletproof..."

Well I guess a "celebrity chef" by nature has to be self-promoting. Any chef who welcomes cameras into his/her kitchen has to be a. an interesting personality b. an extremely good cook or c. some combination of the two. (Well I guess there are exceptions: good looks, a passion for food (think Dweezil and Lisa), but these types aren't really chefs are they...)

So I can't blame Alton for any self-promotion. He certainly does it a lot less than most of the celebrity chefs, and as of yet, I have not seen him promote something inferior or something that he would not use in his own kitchen.

I just caught a half hour show on PBS today that was really neat. The guy's name was Andreas...V...sorry, that's all I can remember, and it was New Scandinavian Cooking. The show was in Norway on this episode, at the furthest northern habitation on earth, at some island where they mine. One town was Norwegians, and another was Russians. It was interesting, and pretty good cooking.

As for programming ideas, I think we can learn something from T. Bourdian. He seemed to understand that the food itself is only interesting if put in the context of the people and the culture. Cooks tour, to me at least, was fascinating because I felt like I was there, riding in the taxi in Bankok or where ever he was. Show me how people live and where they shop, and play their music while talking about their food, this is interesting!

Think about how eating a hard boiled egg was described in 'Angela's Ashes', the egg in context to the surroundings was extraordinary.

On the other hand shows about Americas top five brands of ketsup are ........

Reading this thread made me realize that I watch much less of the Food Network these days. I hate the direction they're programing has taken. I still watch Cook's Tour, Tylers' shows and Food Finds. I also find that I'm going back to PBS for the old standbys. I have a terrible aversion to Emeril ( I think he's even bored with himself).