• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hospital Food

liuzhou

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. I am grateful that my procedure went smoothly and that I was able to leave the hospital on schedule. Now it remains to me to do the work of rehab, including doing something for my back so that I can resume my normal life. If that's the only thing I have to do to fully recover, I will feel doubly blessed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

1 hour ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. I am grateful that my procedure went smoothly and that I was able to leave the hospital on schedule. Now it remains to me to do the work of rehab, including doing something for my back so that I can resume my normal life. If that's the only thing I have to do to fully recover, I will feel doubly blessed.

May recovery be smooth. So far, 2024 has not been a walk in the park.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

Just returned from a cardiac ablation in Guadalajara at a quite nice hospital. Nursing and support staff were excellent--the food less so. The best was the dinner on the night I was admitted before I had to fast for the surgery. 3 nice meatballs with lots of vegetables in a tasty broth. In Mexico they're called "albondigas," and they're my husband's favorite meal. Some sort of unidentifiable juice, the requisite jello, some fresh fruit and a cookie. The rest of the meals went downhill, and pretty rapidly, after that. The low point was 2 halved zucchinis filled with unseasoned ground meat and then topped with melted cheese. I took a couple of bites and couldn't eat the rest. Red rice (which I dislike) and jello (of course) and chopped apple, with horchata to drink. Not sure why white rice is so often served since it tends to stop you up. And the bed killed my back. I'm still recovering from that horrid mattress.

And then there was the interminable delay to check out. Our insurance evidently went through the bill with tweezers to pluck out the most minor expense. I was really glad to get home, though it was a 4-hour drive.

Glad you're home!  Take care!

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/10/2024 at 3:36 PM, Smithy said:

This bread roll looks innocuous, doesn't it?

20240510_152304.jpg

Thing is, I rescued it from one of my husband's uneaten hospital meals.

In February.

I had planned to use it for bread crumbs, or to make croutons, or some such, but events got in my way. Then I got curious about its apparent longevity. It still looks pristine, some 10 weeks later. I think I'm going to leave it in its wrapper and see how long it takes for something to sprout. Maybe, like the infamous wrapped Twinkie in the office of some food writer (Michael Pollan??), it will last for years. Don't think I'm going to feed it to anyone I love!

It's now June, with no visible change in the roll.

20240610_104244.jpg

Could it be bagged in, say, a nitrogen atmosphere? Or is it really so heavily laden with preservatives?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

18 minutes ago, Smithy said:

It's now June, with no visible change in the roll.

20240610_104244.jpg

Could it be bagged in, say, a nitrogen atmosphere? Or is it really so heavily laden with preservatives?

It's really heavily laden with preservatives.

Whatever the atmosphere it was bagged in, since that type of wrapping would allow gas exchange, would have been replaced by the ambient atmosphere long ago.

Scary.

• Like 3

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot