• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2017–)

Kerry Beal

finally got around to trying these :

IMG_4187.thumb.jpg.5b28d500bbec63e80a79abf2aac45b95.jpg

on the plate :

IMG_4193.thumb.jpg.d02d03096b494ba4cf23e5986eeb8ea4.jpg

plain mayo ( Aldi Hellman's clone ) window green onions.

although in Olive oil , the oil was flavorless , so lightly drained.  much better than soybean BTW

this were superb !  I refrigerated the cans before had , as its hot here.

I can see enjoying these several times a week 

varying the mayo's flavor.   a find find.  Ill he stocking up tomorro

P.S.::  I know someone posted about these recently , but I could not find that post to give credit.

Thank you poster 

P.P.S.:  forgot to mention L  MC was sound asleep.  1.5 minutes after opening the can , and plating

MV was in the kitchen showing for a sample .  he got one and loved them.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

@BeeZee

good question 

I have a few cans of TJ's Fishes.  currently not the trout

Smoked Herring ( green can )  310mg sodium   56 gm fish

Grilled sardines  ( blue can , above )  220 mg //  77 gm fish

Lt smoked salmon ( Salmon can , of crows ) 390mg /// 100 gm fish

Sardines w smoke * magenta can )  220 mg /// 85 gm fish 

I did a bit of digging  on the internet :

you can buy one can of the Tj's trout on amazon for over $ 19 dollars , if you can't make it to TJ's !

finally I found this for the trout:

Lightly smoked trout ( light blue can )  390 mg // 158 gm fish.,

P.S.: found a can of TJ's lightly smoked mussels    lightly blue can , w pic of mussels on the lid

200 mg sodium ///  69 gm mussels  the can indicated  Extra Virgin Oilice Oil.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, rotuts said:

@FrogPrincesse

I liked the TJ's chutney.  it should be called Raisin Chutney

I was pretty sure I had picked the mango chutney precisely because it did NOT contain raisins. And I checked the label - it doesn't. So the mystery deepens... One thing is sure, it does not have a pronounced mango flavor. :D

• Like 2

The description is accurate though. Very toothsome indeed! :D

Made for us by a supplier in Sri Lanka, this magnificently Mango-forward Chutney is made with a thick, yet smooth and spreadable base of organic cane sugar and organic coconut sap vinegar, to which our supplier adds big, toothsome chunks of organic mango

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

finally got around to trying these :

IMG_4187.thumb.jpg.5b28d500bbec63e80a79abf2aac45b95.jpg

on the plate :

IMG_4193.thumb.jpg.d02d03096b494ba4cf23e5986eeb8ea4.jpg

plain mayo ( Aldi Hellman's clone ) window green onions.

although in Olive oil , the oil was flavorless , so lightly drained.  much better than soybean BTW

this were superb !  I refrigerated the cans before had , as its hot here.

I can see enjoying these several times a week 

varying the mayo's flavor.   a find find.  Ill he stocking up tomorro

P.S.::  I know someone posted about these recently , but I could not find that post to give credit.

Thank you poster 

P.P.S.:  forgot to mention L  MC was sound asleep.  1.5 minutes after opening the can , and plating

MV was in the kitchen showing for a sample .  he got one and loved them.

That may have been me; I bought a can as mentioned upthread but haven't tried them yet. I am glad to read that they are good!

The plan is to do the French thing: slice of bread, good quality butter, smooshed up sardine, squeeze of lemon. 

Is MC/MV your cat? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BeeZee said:

@rotuts, how do these compare in saltiness vs the smoked trout (which I found fairly salty)?

I'll look for the grilled sardines and post when I find them.  I like the smoked trout a lot but tend to use it in smaller amounts.  My favorite use: Bruschetta With Swiss Chard and Smoked Trout.

Edited by blue_dolphin
to fix link (log)
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I like the smoked trout a lot but tend to use it in smaller amounts.  My favorite use: Bruschetta With Swiss Chard and Smoked Trout.

i forgot about the smoked trout! The recipe you linked looks good. I like it in rillettes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:

I should specify that the smoked trout I bought in the past was not in a can - it was from the refrigerated aisle.

And I’ve only used the smoked trout in tins!

@ TJ's today 

looked at the can of smoked trout.  

might be answer version.  I seem to recall the current version had more salt than the one I reported on earlier up-thresd

but of course , can't remember the value.

I love these hash brown patties.  The price is great, only $2.79 for a package of ten. Safeway has an almost identical item - curiously called TJ Farms - for $4.79.  These are WAY better than the MacDonald's patties.  I cook mine in the Breville Smart Oven.

They're very popular at the local TJ's.  Last week I saw a woman with a dozen packages in her cart.

TJBrowns.jpg.a35e6ec8ba7c728dda685b8209ee27ae.jpg

Edited by Shel_B
Additional information (log)
  • Like 1

... Shel

1 hour ago, Shel_B said:

I love these hash brown patties.  The price is great, only $2.79 for a package of ten. Safeway has an almost identical item - curiously called TJ Farms - for $4.79.  These are WAY better than the MacDonald's patties.  I cook mine in the Breville Smart Oven.

They're very popular at the local TJ's.  Last week I saw a woman with a dozen packages in her cart.

TJBrowns.jpg.a35e6ec8ba7c728dda685b8209ee27ae.jpg

I like them too but unless I get there later in the day after their frozen food truck has been there, they're always sold out.  It's too hot here in the Phoenix area for a non-driver to go out grocery shopping other than first thing in the morning so I'm out of luck until Fall.  In the meantime, I've been making my own which don't compare with theirs, even though the only ingredients according to the package are potatoes, oil, and salt.  Anyone have a recipe to emulate TJ's?

Edited by Cyberider (log)
  • Like 1

@Cyberider

not sure how your local TJ's works 

but mine would gladly put aside items  in their back room freezer

w my name on them , then I pick them up in a few days.

they did this for the long ago and much mised  Tj's frozen Canele '

its worth a call , and based on your freezer space

you might shtick up 

they are readily available here

might get some , and try them in my Air Fryer

as much as I love my CSO 

certain items , from frozen , end up crispier and quicker in the AF.

good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion, rotuts.  I may try calling before my next trip and see if my store will do that.  They told me that they are only allotted a certain quantity of that item and they always sell out quickly.  In the meantime, I'm still feeling challenged to make my own hash brown patties that have the taste and texture that theirs do.

• Like 1

more TJ's sardines

IMG_4216.thumb.jpg.e225a77ce40547ac8c270cf0de114a39.jpg

IMG_4220.thumb.jpg.eac4745051e205d94bfb9baa066236a6.jpg

excellent  . flavored the mayo w a pinch pf S&B curry powder   .  nice

these have bones .  as I don't ned the extra Ca  I'll stick w the grilled version

tasty DHA both of these are .

• Like 3

I'm here to report that I tried the famous peach cream cheese on all three flavors of cookie thins.  All good but Triple Ginger for the win!  Vanilla was also excellent, as has been reported above. I really like the lemon cookies and they were good with the cream cheese but the others were better. 

0722D9C9-8190-4E04-BAA0-80AF3111E31C_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.decd310e1d6cf83b5572b97d9260526f.jpeg

I also found the grilled sardines, no thanks to whomever on the TJ's staff decided to relocate the tinned fish to the bottom 2 shelves.  I had to crouch down with my butt practically on the floor in order to read the labels. Bad spot for those tiny cans. I meant to complain on the way out but got involved in a convo with the cashier about the peach cream cheese and cookie thins.  She was very excited about trying it! 

• Like 3

second half of the bag from frozen fried squid :

IMG_4226.thumb.jpeg.7e60dde69a213b63eb11e443cc561cc0.jpeg

green tabasco and window green onions.

might have benefited w a minute or two more 

for more crispyness

bit tasty.  these have a chew to them , that's fine.

• Like 1

Flipping though this book while researching cookbooks for my daughter to take with her to college,

53822725944_d9f226781d_b.jpg

I stumbled upon this “recipe “

53822725914_e27b083b04_b.jpg

and remembered I had a can of TJ’s sardines in the fridge. I opened the can.

53822637338_b821c5391c_b.jpg

They looked a bit dense and dry but let’s see. I went the French way for my version: slice of baguette, beurre d’Isigny, topped with the smashed sardines. Generous pepper, a little drizzle of olive oil for flavor (I would skip next time because the sardines were oily enough on their own), and a generous amount of lemon juice.

53822725834_2139db28f2_b.jpg

I had a bite and remembered my garnish. Much better! I definitely needs something piquant like chives or red onion to pop.

53822390131_5b1a767d70_b.jpg

As for the sardines, they are average+ at best in my book. I think I’ve been spoiled with Belle Iloise and the likes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

48 minutes ago, FrogPrincesse said:

Flipping though this book while researching cookbooks for my daughter to take with her to college

I can't believe your daughter is off to college! Wasn't it only yesterday that she was just a little girl?  🙂

I really miss Trader Joe's but it's highly unlikely they'd ever come to Canada - bilingual + metric packaging are just the start of it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

I really miss Trader Joe's but it's highly unlikely they'd ever come to Canada - bilingual + metric packaging are just the start of it. 

Some years ago I was in Vancouver and discovered a place called Pirate Joe's which sold many Trader Joe's branded items. I may be mistaken, but I think their entire inventory was TJ's products.

• Like 1

... Shel