• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

Joy of Cooking Sour Cream Apple Cake Soufflé Cockaigne.  One of my favorites.

SourCreamAppleCakeSoufleCockaigne.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

SourCreamAppleCakeSoufleCockaigne.jpg

Nice, would like to see what the interior looks like.

• Like 1

When I lived in Lyon, I think I tried pretty much every patisserie and boulangerie within five miles of the centre. Some good stuff, plenty of average stuff, and quite a few clunkers. C'est la vie, I suppose. Amongst the more memorable things I ate was the Praluline at Maison Pralus*, which is a kind of laminated brioche with pink pralines. (You can watch them being made here and here.) The main shop is slap-bang in the middle of the old town, tourist-central, so I feared it might be hype over substance. But that turned out not to be so. They're good, especially if you luck-out and get one still warm from the oven, in which case they're transcendent.

Anyway, this is all a preamble to say that when Lidl had pink pralines last week, I thought I'd have a crack at making one...

Praluline1.thumb.png.3e80471b89c3410c6e97a9474e4e6e56.png

Praluline2.thumb.png.409319daf7b7597ff2109adad0af4261.png

I unfortunately overproofed it a little, so it lost its shape and spread somewhat, but that's easily remedied next time. One thing that's immediately apparent, and shouldn't really come as a surprise, is that Lidl pink pralines in no way compare favourably to the ones that Pralus make in-house (using Piedmont hazelnuts and Valencia almonds). I suppose you get what you pay for, and in this instance I'd say theirs are worth every penny.

I only had enough pink pralines to make one Praluline, so with the extra brioche dough I made a chocolate/hazelnut/almond version using the same method...

ChocBrioche1.thumb.png.93e04485a7447d23a97e0b49b18395fa.png

ChocBrioche2.thumb.png.75eaaaf2b3e30c4965cdb0b55920d32e.png

And the remaining off-cuts were repurposed into a couple of mini Tropeziennes (just with whipped cream rather than the traditional filling)...

Tropezienne.thumb.png.b7952e7303a16d7a92a74aad90f2cd29.png

*There are shops in Paris and several other cities around France, should you be nearby. They're renowned chocolatiers, and I'd give another thumbs-up to the Barres Infernales, especially the milk chocolate one with Piedmont hazelnut praline. Diabolically good.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 3

On 4/12/2024 at 9:46 AM, oli said:

Nice, would like to see what the interior looks like.

Slice04132024.jpg

Please pardon iPad shadow.  It's not an eclipse.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Galaktoboureko (Greek custard pie)...

Galaktoboureko1.thumb.png.309f0710b1cfbf019aa72502e4e92a80.png

Galaktoboureko2.thumb.png.0fd1f6767c96b8714bad5bcf3ce56eef.png

The filling is a semolina custard (orange and vanilla) and has some texture to it, and the whole lot gets drowned in orange syrup. My recollection from the last time was that the best thing about it is the filling so I bumped up the quantity - hence the sizeable wedge. It was ok, but nothing memorable. The filo layers were disappointing.

It made me think how much better portokalopita is, so I took the last few sheeets of filo and made some individual ones...

Portokalopita.thumb.png.6aac762eaed77762ae5bc1171326aac6.png

Another random culinary adventure this weekend was attempting a soufflé omelette for the first time...

SouffleOmelette.thumb.png.3d6590699a89a951f87a715836dd3a2f.png

Could've done with a couple more folds of the mixture, and cooking over induction made the task more difficult than it needed to be, but it made a nice change.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 4/12/2024 at 1:08 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Which edition JoC, please?  I don't find this in the book in my kitchen (1997) but I have at least 3 others readily accessible.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fernwood said:

Which edition JoC, please?  I don't find this in the book in my kitchen (1997) but I have at least 3 others readily accessible.  

Eat Your Books shows it in the 1975 Sixth Edition and the 2006 75th Anniversary Edition

• Like 1

Chocolate cake...

ChocolateCake.thumb.png.a163b882740660ce0faf6ee11007049c.png

It's from a Clare Damon cake (hers has a gianduja topping and the whole thing is encased in a chocolate glaze). Being oil- and cream-based, it's very soft and moist. The chocolate element is cocoa powder, so it doesn't exactly scream chocolate, but it's chocolatey enough and I like the texture. One of these days I'll get around to doing the gianduja and glaze.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

crunchy almond cake from Claire Saffitz - Dessert Person

crunchyalmondcake-20240418_130215859.thumb.jpg.3d4940f429e78c35af89cf923f3acd2c.jpg

cruncyalmondcake-slice-20240418_130442892.jpg.bd97a3d5f9930052aeb5d38b3113839b.jpg

Really like this cake. Lots of almond flavor (the cake uses 7 ounces of almond paste) and moist. Definitely a keeper.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

very interesting topping technique

It reminded me of Toscakaka or Drømmekage in Scandinavian baking. Works well. 👍

• Like 1

Flicking through an old cookbook, I was tickled to see a recipe for Simpson's Treacle Roll. Simpson's-in-the-Strand (now closed) was one of London's oldest restaurants and a bit of an institution, celebrated for its roast meats. This particular pudding seemed a little incongrous for a supposedly 'fancy' restaurant, being just a square of suet pastry spread with golden syrup, rolled up like a Swiss Roll and then steamed. I was under no illusions as to what it would turn out like, but I enjoy a bit of nostalgia...

SimpsonsTreacleRoll1.thumb.png.ad07ebf205b105ea38e372205d4bb10c.png

It was as imagined: soft, fluffy pastry that had soaked up the sticky syrup within. Nothing remarkable, but pleasant enough.

The recipe said to serve with extra golden syrup, but it would be unimaginable that Simpson's didn't have a jug of custard to hand if requested...

SimpsonsTreacleRoll2.thumb.png.c0c9c2b0a982e103e62e5b2f7693d80d.png

I found a menu from 1974, and there it was for the princely sum of 35p (80c)...

SimpsonsMenu.thumb.png.e1a0e23a399456a10c2d318941fc0db3.png

1970s London must have been pretty grim if this is what passed for fine-dining.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

thank you for the menu.

Ive been to London late '60's /// early '70's

you are correct .  pretty grim

in  restaurants  it was Chops , or at better restaurannts :  Superb Indian.

unless you passed a Fish and Chips take out first.

Edited by rotuts (log)

A popular biscuit in the shops here is a Galette St Michel which is a type of sablé breton (Breton butter cookie). I was talking to Jean - the guy I often bump into on the lane and who gets a lot of my cakey castoffs - and he seemed to be a fan. So I bought a box out of curiosity. Turns out they're nothing special, in fact I'd say they're quite underwhelming. I guess it helps to have grown up eating them. Looking at the box, they skimp on the butter and eggs, and bulk up the flour (quelle surprise!). So I picked up some top-notch Isigny butter and made my own to erase the disappointment...

SablesBretons.thumb.png.e6f204d24490c8eb1380acf3739d837c.png

Now we're talking! I'll drop off a bagful tomorrow and see if I can lure him away from the industrial stuff.

And I came across a tub of dried figs left over from Christmas when I made a couple of Figgy Puddings. So on the basis that every day can be Christmas Day, I gave myself a present...

Figgy1.thumb.png.4790f1646a69b11487511ce8cf045813.png

Figgy2.thumb.png.dfb9fc8a2f829e065afb577efc89580d.png

I'm not sure what Jean would make of an English steamed pudding, so I'll spare him the befuddlement.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Had a ladies lunch yesterday and made the Lemon Oat Bars from Sarah Kieffer's 100 Cookies.  It's handy that the recipe uses the same oat mixture pressed into the pan for the crust and crumbled on top.

They were very well received. 

AF61086E-ADAB-46D8-84E9-1630F45C4CCB_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.564c5a956078a43a12b5ec624c47428b.jpeg

I made a half recipe in a 9-inch square pan and doubled the lemon zest. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1