• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

9 hours ago, Pete Fred said:

For those who appreciate a nice wobble...

CustardTartWobble.gif.9a43fd2d63e754b7b0b9d62f30760f08.gif

I'm not sure but I don't think sex is permitted on eGullet.

• Haha 6
  • Confused 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 12/28/2023 at 8:04 AM, Pete Fred said:

This is Tikvenik, a Bulgarian strudel/pie popular at Christmas...

Tikvenik1.thumb.png.c93289d0c5feff129167125f9729522a.png

The filling is pumpkin, cinnamon and walnuts...

Tikvenik2.thumb.png.a750890e655ed4664611c2a8655c12e5.png

I could have left it in the oven a little longer for better colour, but it had been in a fair while and I was worried the filling was drying out.

It was OK but I can't see myself making another.

I used to make something very similar that was a Greek walnut pie.    Always a lot of bang for the effort.      Think "coiled baklava".     Thanks for the reminder.

eGullet member #80.

On 12/30/2023 at 5:55 PM, ElsieD said:

On 12/30/2023 at 6:24 PM, Kerry Beal said:
On 12/30/2023 at 5:55 PM, ElsieD said:

...margarine, the kind with the yellow dye blob cut out.  (Blue Bonnet?)

On 12/30/2023 at 6:24 PM, Kerry Beal said:

I loved being the one to squish on the yellow dye blob

margarine, the kind with the yellow dye blob cut out.  (Blue Bonnet?)

In the US, this was the norm during WWII.    My mother used to save "top milk", the cream on then unhomogenized milk, and beat it into the shortening-like margarine along with the coloring capsule.   She was highly incensed by an in-law who served the white stuff untreated.    AKA slovenly.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

9 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

margarine along with the coloring capsule.

When I was little we used to absolutely love that type of margarine. We have to take turns being the one that could squish the capsule. Let's face it, growing up on a farm in Nebraska there wasn't much other entertainment. The second reason was there was plenty of Cream and if she didn't buy the margarine one of us had to churn the butter, that nasty fresh cream butter. That was a lot less entertaining.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 2
  • Delicious 1

Haven't been baking or eGulleting for a while, but here's my latest:

Pineapple and coconut tart

Pineappleandcoconuttart.thumb.jpg.2744cff44953ee239ca76c7a996f2072.jpg

Pâte sucrée

Caramelised pineapple compote

Toasted coconut frangipane

Fresh pineapple

Next time, I'll get some rum in there.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 4

2 hours ago, jmacnaughtan said:

Pâte sucrée

Fresh pineapple

Rum definitely! Nice to see you back James.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jmacnaughtan said:

Pâte sucrée

Fresh pineapple

Very nice, definetly add some alcohol.

Edited by oli (log)
  • Like 1

I can't remember the last time I had a rock cake (similar to a US scone, perhaps 🤷‍♂️)...

Rock.thumb.png.81f692b063090bd33ebc65245c75ad0a.png

Delightful. Will be making more of these.

Less successful were these cheese, anchovy and chilli biscuits (UK biscuit)...

Cheese.thumb.png.88d3e2984060d729f49fd26d3dbf9f35.png

Tasted good, but the texture wasn't quite right. I'll be sticking with Nigella's parmesan shortbreads for this kind of thing.

And I wanted to test a tarte au citron filling: the one Heston Blumenthal made in the early days of The Fat Duck when it was more of a French bistro. Rather than make a full batch I scaled everything down to ring-sized and brûléed it...

Lemon1.thumb.png.1f92e9d5b0315d51825906f607e6fb58.png

Lemon2.thumb.png.e6b896fd3e4d463525f7f291616a242a.png

In effect, a lemon crème brûlée. Errrr... lembrûlée?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

2 hours ago, Pete Fred said:

And I wanted to test a tarte au citron filling: the one Heston Blumenthal made in the early days of The Fat Duck when it was more of a French bistro. Rather than make a full batch I scaled everything down to ring-sized and brûléed it...

Lemon1.thumb.png.1f92e9d5b0315d51825906f607e6fb58.png

Lemon2.thumb.png.e6b896fd3e4d463525f7f291616a242a.png

In effect, a lemon crème brûlée. Errrr... lembrûlée?

Looks good. I love tarte au citron. Is it this recipe?

Filling
  • 5 lemons, zest finely grated and juiced
  • 300 ml double cream
  • 390 g white caster sugar
  • 9 large eggs
  • 1 large egg yolk

Place all the filling ingredients into a heatproof bowl and mix together using a spatula. Set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and allow to warm up until the temperature reaches 60ºC. At this point, strain the mixture through a fine sieve into a jug. With a spoon, remove the bubbles from the surface of the liquid.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

5 minutes ago, FrogPrincesse said:

Looks good. I love tarte au citron. Is it this recipe?

Almost. That's the slightly modified version he did for his Heston at Home book and tv series. His original used way more lemon juice (more like 10 lemons!) and whipping cream rather than double cream (i.e., 35% fat rather than 50% fat). The recipe is the last one here. Bon courage!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Pete Fred

Is it like a large  soft cookie ?    

or a small cake w crunch or not 

I guess it’s kind of a (UK) scone-cake hybrid. 

Recipes often say to eat them warm, when they have a crunchy exterior and quite a soft, cakey crumb. I disagree. I preferred these after a few hours when they were drier and more cookie-like. (I polished off an obscene amount the next day in a shed, ambient temperature 3C/37F.) But that preference might be a nostalgia trip: these are the kind of thing, back in the day, that would sit under a cloche for a few days in a tea shop or canteen. 

• Thanks 2

@Pete Fred. I printed the recipe and the ingredient list has one adding 1/4 nutmeg, freshly grated.  I have no problem grating nutmeg, but 1/4 of one seems much.  I'm assuming this should be 1/4 teaspoon?

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

You are obviously not an Agatha Christy fan.

You're right!  It's not that I could never be a fan -I like mysteries but I have never read any of her books.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I have no problem grating nutmeg, but 1/4 of one seems much.  I'm assuming this should be 1/4 teaspoon?

Delia’s recipes are well tested and this one will have been reprinted lots of times, so I’d take it as written. I only had a tiny nub left and didn’t use that much, so you’ll be fine following your own taste. I love fresh nutmeg so will go all-in next time. 

• Thanks 1

Gateau Basque would probably be on my Mount Rushmore of cakes...

Basque1.thumb.png.c2ff3b862f8012762988ac9be1c1de91.png

They usually come with a cherry jam or pastry cream filling. I prefer the latter, taking the opportunity to really load it with cream...

Basque2.thumb.png.d686eb4d6c8f55d63d9b5d7981cdc41e.png

This one is vanilla, orange and lemon, and the cream is made with semolina for a bit more texture. The dough is sort of a cakey, almond shortbread, quite soft but more crunchy at the edge. Love it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

18 minutes ago, Pete Fred said:

Gateau Basque would probably be on my Mount Rushmore of cakes...

Basque1.thumb.png.c2ff3b862f8012762988ac9be1c1de91.png

They usually come with a cherry jam or pastry cream filling. I prefer the latter, taking the opportunity to really load it with cream...

Basque2.thumb.png.d686eb4d6c8f55d63d9b5d7981cdc41e.png

This one is vanilla, orange and lemon, and the cream is made with semolina for a bit more texture. The dough is sort of a cakey, almond shortbread, quite soft but more crunchy at the edge. Love it.

I want to make it, it's calling my name. Would you recommend this recipe or yours? https://rouxbe.com/recipes/1008-gateau-basque

1 hour ago, oli said:

I want to make it, it's calling my name. Would you recommend this recipe or yours? https://rouxbe.com/recipes/1008-gateau-basque

I couldn't find it in English, unfortunately, but the one I use is pretty close to Pierre Hermé's, here or here. If you're fine using online translation, that'll give you a decent steer. Similarly for Thierry Bamas': recipe and watch him make one.

Bruno Albouze is legit: recipe and video.

But if you're more comfortable speaking American (cups! 😡) this one from Masterclass looks all right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Pete Fred said:

I couldn't find it in English, unfortunately, but the one I use is pretty close to Pierre Hermé's, here or here. If you're fine using online translation, that'll give you a decent steer. Similarly for Thierry Bamas': recipe and watch him make one.

Bruno Albouze is legit: recipe and video.

But if you're more comfortable speaking American (cups! 😡) this one from Masterclass looks all right.

Thanks, I am curious what didn't you like about the one I posted?

Hello, I guess I should start posting. Here are some Semlas we made on a workshop. I'll probably make some more alone; they are filled with this almond paste stuff and unsweetened cream which is a novel thing to me. Looking forward to browse these pages for inspiration!

IMG_20240118_200321.thumb.jpg.b56dc8543c5eadcd45c2c945605d4312.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4