• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

A recent meal I attended concluded with caillé, which, I've since discovered, is what we anglais call junket (caillé translates as milk curds (n); curdled (v)). I loved the texture: delicately creamy, silky, and wobbly. She'd acquired the milk the day before straight from a neighbour's cow (!), added a few drops of rennet and left it to set overnight. It's quite common here to have little pots of fromage frais sprinkled with a bit of sugar for dessert, but this stuff was next level.

I've made curds before by adding an acid to milk, but that seemed to result in a different texture. So I got myself some raw milk (from a shop, not a teat next door, sadly) and some rennet...

Curd1.thumb.png.b6eb36ab50cd0387fbdcb352e7601ce5.png

Curd2.thumb.png.1ed248dbc6a5afe95b85e84f2c8f8f10.png

I can definitely see more of this ambrosia in my future.

And with a bunch of curds lying around, I took the opportunity to revisit the old country and made a Yorkshire curd tart...

Curd3.thumb.png.eceefac1083b2e2e975429b6b1e7840d.png

Curd4.thumb.png.b6f8d526d744cd0838dea18e057e9de7.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Made a couple of red plum and peach crisps today. One for me and one for my friend that I will be taking crockpot meals to tomorrow. (These are not crockpot - baked in the oven.) Anyway last fall, I had an epiphany when I was making a pear and cranberry crisp. Why not double or triple or quadruple the topping and freeze it. So I did - actually made 6x the recipe. Just a standard (for me ) crisp topping; oats, flour, brown sugar, butter and some toasted pecans. I just used the last of my batch for these two crisps so will definitely be making another big batch for the freezer. Makes for a quick and easy dessert. I made these in loaf pans because we are only two - same with my friend who lives with her sister.

crisp - 1.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 3

On 7/7/2024 at 5:43 PM, Kim Shook said:

Where are you located?  In central VA, I find it under the Jello brand at almost any grocery store?

Hah! Sorry. I completely forgot about this. My bad. Anyway, I’m in southern Ohio, and never see it anywhere.

Mixed fruit tart today, peaches , apricots, blueberries; raspberries. Pierre Hermé pate sucrée crust and just enough dough to squeeze out a small treat. The fruit was brushed with apricot jam for a little extra shine.

IMG_6939.jpeg

IMG_6940.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

Mi esposo is so lazy he even short-cutted this 3 ingredient no-bake dessert. 

He melted the butter and chocolate in micro, then added the can of pumpkin (NOT pie filling) and stirred by hand.  To make storing easier he put it in a square tupperware container, no paper or cooking spray.  It set up in 2 hours in fridge; then he topped with a quick ganache.  Wouldn't call it a 'cake' more a dense mousse, but a nice one at that.  

It tastes better than expected, guess it'd be smoother had he blended it, but like I said, he can be a Lazy Cook 

Or Non-Cook in this case.   

Recipe here:  https://kirbiecravings.com/3-ingredient-no-bake-chocolate-cake/

no bake.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Delicious 2

I have visitors this week so, rather than experimenting, I've been banging out the greatest hits.

Macarons...

Macarons.thumb.png.7cf555ead26cb86b096327cf33c47b50.png

Flapjacks (cereal bars)...

HalvaFlapjacks.thumb.png.d210d3a03fc774fce49e0fb22b5f87c3.png

Chocolate chip cookies...

ChocChip.thumb.png.10e502af949b53dea3ba25d0c0f57c0d.png

Chocolate Walnut Cookies...

ChocWalnut.thumb.png.d49ee2d2bdffb964c0556e25313a328c.png

Cherry pistachio coconut cake...

Cherry1.thumb.png.55e4b09f0171c6a6d5fdb56978028f13.png

Cherry2.thumb.png.b2cf1484963e21b3acef98dde9e05597.png

All received approvingly.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 4

10 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Tell us more, please, about the cereal bars.

They are adapted from Dan Lepard's Halva Flapjacks .

Changes: 100g tahini, 125g dates/prunes, 100g raisins/cranberries, 40g dessicated coconut, 50g sesame/pumpkin seeds, and 225g oats. I add a fair bit of fine sea salt, too; 7g (1½ tsp); YMMV. Baked in a 20 cm square tin.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been making various versions of Sbrisolana, an Italian “ crumbly” cake, frequently made to be broken off into pieces for serving.  These have fresh fruit with a little jam to bind the fruit. One version was with a layer of ricotta and jam, which I’m Intending to make again when I get the artisan ricotta in the next few days. Fresh cherries were cut into eighths along with a smidgen of sour cherry jam was one of the fillings, another was quartered blackberries with a little raspberry/ lemon jam. These are 5” cakes, so four small pieces are the yield.

IMG_5930.png

IMG_5928.jpeg

IMG_5929.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Pistachio Lemon Tart. Crust is graham/pistachio, mascarpone lemon filling. Trying to recreate a tart we used to get in SF at a place called Tart to Tart on Irving St. They got new owners and it was never the same. This filling might need more lemon. 

IMG_5370.jpeg

• Like 10

When life gives you lemons, make a lemon cake...

LemonCake.thumb.png.6e8e17808aca35e0b83aea8c9f39a374.png

I've made this Pierre Hermé recipe a few times but not recently, and found it not lemony enough. The soaking syrup had a relatively small amount of juice, so I'd up that next time, or swap in a lemon icing instead.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

A couple of months ago when I made a Praluline (brioche with sugared almonds), a chunk of it went to an acquaintance. She asked if I could make one for her grandkids who are down from Paris for the summer...

Praluline1.thumb.png.55e48ee98e449de2c168a0776c1e4c91.png

Praluline2.thumb.png.b3d90df738e2c52da5cdab012684d00a.png

It's a reasonable facsimilie, but Pralus have multiple shops in Paris so I've recommended they pay a visit and try the original. Their homemade praline roses are a cut above and make it something special.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

IMG_3856.thumb.jpeg.f8ba0bb01ac048691eb2ae600f162934.jpegHeaded off to a Potluck tonight and decided to make a Coconut Cake.  Fingers crossed it tastes good

As it’s for a party, I will try and remember to get a picture of a cut piece….

As you can see, they chopped the (you know what) out of the cake

IMG_3852.thumb.jpeg.3459e7501ce707a47513840f8f7d1a76.jpegIMG_3851.thumb.jpeg.82f0b66655cb97c9b55f26bc7139baee.jpeg

Edited by RobertM (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 2

Combo August birthday party today. My cousin (the prime Donna 😑) ordered a mermaid theme since it’s her granddaughter’s 1st birthday. So I went with a tail and a 4” smash cake for the baby. All white cake and vanilla buttercream. 

IMG_5400.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 5

1 minute ago, RWood said:

Combo August birthday party today. My cousin (the prime Donna 😑) ordered a mermaid theme since it’s her granddaughter’s 1st birthday. So I went with a tail and a 4” smash cake for the baby. All white cake and vanilla buttercream. 

IMG_5400.jpeg

That is amazing!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RWood said:

IMG_5400.jpeg

Fabulous! Placing all those scales must have been a job and a half in itself.