• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 3)

Kim Shook

@Kerry Bealhad a very rare day off today so we had lunch from an Oakville restaurant, Kenzo. We've enjoyed food from there before. This time the pork was much better but the egg was somewhat overcooked. 

IMG_5723.thumb.jpeg.4c0ac2140dabb6cab67d42b5379affaf.jpeg

Kerry's meal was gyoza and king shoyu ramen. 

n. 
IMG_3050.thumb.jpeg.ecac7ee8943b5157671053ab415180aa.jpeg
My gyoza. 

IMG_3047.thumb.jpeg.6cd7963a886870eef80574097ac06f3d.jpeg

Close-up of my gyudon. 

IMG_3049.thumb.jpeg.1a532b3eeb91987d3c3ec803f62bb6bb.jpeg

My guydon with miso soup. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, lindag said:

Not available where I live but I found it here:

Click

And it's really good.

Hmmm. The stuff most of us are talking about, I think, is made by Schweppes.  But glad you are enjoying a different brand. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On 6/11/2023 at 3:59 PM, Anna N said:

Close-up of my gyudon. 

After I had enjoyed my miso soup and my gyozas I had to put away my gyudon for another meal. I was so disappointed when I went to eat it today. It was like eating a salt bomb! I know I am sensitive to salt as a result of being on a low salt diet but I don't believe it could account for the salt in this preparation. I have had this dish from this restaurant in the past and it has been delicious but they do seem to be a bit inconsistent with various preparations. 

• Sad 8

My 2004 eG Blog

14 hours ago, Anna N said:

Hmmm. The stuff most of us are talking about, I think, is made by Schweppes.  But glad you are enjoying a different brand. 

I was able to source some of the Schweppes as well but I do prefer the Polar.

It has a bit more tartness and pairs beautifully with the gin.

• Like 2

Once again we ordered from Rose in the Kitchen knowing that it was dependable.

IMG_5754.thumb.jpeg.5ee0800fa37e61ebba992a7018254558.jpeg

@Kerry Bealhad the Ali Nazik - ground beef skewers on top of smoked eggplant puree topped with tomato sauce and butter. 

IMG_3067.thumb.jpeg.313696fab54250c892f80d168c5c5c2c.jpeg

I had my usual lamb chops,  rice and blistered jalapeño and tomato with a side salad.  

Later in the evening I enjoyed some Ontario strawberries that Kerry had picked up at the farmers market on her way to work on Saturday. Delicious.

Edited by Anna N
Typos (log)
  • Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog

In the before times @Kerry Bealand I used to dine occasionally at Mikado in Burlington. This is advertised as a Japanese restaurant but like most Japanese restaurants in this area it seems to be as much Korean as it is Japanese. 

IMG_5762.thumb.jpeg.0e8626bbcfe594e89b810e980a79b196.jpeg

Kerry had the bulgogi. 

IMG_5763.thumb.jpeg.720c1661158a3cf3febc3b28f6396afa.jpeg

it came with miso soup.

IMG_3079.thumb.jpeg.79c6f2e6478bd2aebe3e31fa85e99ccc.jpeg

I had the beef udon. 

IMG_3080.thumb.jpeg.fa954162d101267a87e43be385012a12.jpeg

And a Wakame salad. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

This is advertised as a Japanese restaurant but like most Japanese restaurants in this area it seems to be as much Korean as it is Japanese. 

That, or variations thereon, seem to be the norm. We have had many Japanese places here - sushi places, shabu-shabu places, ramen bars. Not one has really been Japanese. All Chinese. I've experienced the same all over SE Asia. 

90% of Indian restaurants in the UK are actually Bangladeshi. 

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 2 weeks later...

On Sunday @Kerry Bealand I  decided to try a new Thai restaurant, Thai Senses.

IMG_5781.thumb.jpeg.1de11b14b98a9f33fd61288e92420880.jpeg

Kerry had Tom Kha with chicken satay.  

IMG_3103.thumb.jpeg.fcf522cdfedb20046d0a99556963249a.jpeg

I had Tom Kha with crispy vegetable spring rolls. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, ElsieD said:

Since you did not make a comment about the food, I assume it wasn't to your liking?

The satay were very moist - cat loved his half! And he did hold out for half. We've had better Tom Kha - a bit of an off flavor as if there was evaporated milk in there. 

• Sad 5

• 2 weeks later...

I have been negligent in posting our lunches. I have excellent excuses but I will not bore you with them. 

IMG_3111.thumb.jpeg.6b4041809bbe95f765d173db1d0c4482.jpeg

this one probably belongs in the unexpected food gifts topic but I'm going to put it here. Remember in the before times when @Kerry Bealand I used to go up to Manitoulin Island for six weeks? Before we left each year Kerry would put together some cocktails which would require very little additional work to have a drink ready when we arrived after a long drive. Well all of Kerry's belongings, collected over 20 years, were shipped down to her. She brought all the cocktails over to my house. She will never know how grateful I am! This is an Eyeore's Requiem brought to life with the addition of some orange twists. Man that was good.

Kerry found a new restaurant that serves both corned beef and  banh mi! I was hoping to give you a website but I can't seem to find the restaurant. 

IMG_5795.thumb.jpeg.110e051387ba9e1844b10a33337420c4.jpeg

Kerry had the brisket on rye. 

IMG_3110.thumb.jpeg.b7089d0793a249464868a606b0c8e6e0.jpeg

I had a classic bahn mie with some coleslaw. It was very good. 

• Like 10
  • Delicious 4

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I have been negligent in posting our lunches. I have excellent excuses but I will not bore you with them. 

IMG_3111.thumb.jpeg.6b4041809bbe95f765d173db1d0c4482.jpeg

this one probably belongs in the unexpected food gifts topic but I'm going to put it here. Remember in the before times when @Kerry Bealand I used to go up to Manitoulin Island for six weeks? Before we left each year Kerry would put together some cocktails which would require very little additional work to have a drink ready when we arrived after a long drive. Well all of Kerry's belongings, collected over 20 years, were shipped down to her. She brought all the cocktails over to my house. She will never know how grateful I am! This is an Eyeore's Requiem brought to life with the addition of some orange twists. Man that was good.

Kerry found a new restaurant that serves both corned beef and  banh mi! I was hoping to give you a website but I can't seem to find the restaurant. 

IMG_5795.thumb.jpeg.110e051387ba9e1844b10a33337420c4.jpeg

Kerry had the brisket on rye. 

IMG_3110.thumb.jpeg.b7089d0793a249464868a606b0c8e6e0.jpeg

I had a classic bahn mie with some coleslaw. It was very good. 

Thats cause you were thinking Bahn Mi - Corned Beef Hut

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Remember in the before times when @Kerry Bealand I used to go up to Manitoulin Island for six weeks? Before we left each year Kerry would put together some cocktails which would require very little additional work to have a drink ready when we arrived after a long drive. Well all of Kerry's belongings, collected over 20 years, were shipped down to her. She brought all the cocktails over to my house. She will never know how grateful I am! This is an Eyeore's Requiem brought to life with the addition of some orange twists. Man that was good.

Ahhh, those were the days, my friend!  I can't believe they shipped those well-aged cocktails down to @Kerry Beal but how sweet that you get to share both the memories and an actual cocktail!

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Ahhh, those were the days, my friend!  I can't believe they shipped those well-aged cocktails down to @Kerry Beal but how sweet that you get to share both the memories and an actual cocktail!

Luckily for me Kerry is always driving so I get to have all the cocktails. I made that bottle last for about four cocktails I believe. There are two more bottles to go.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

This weekend @Kerry Beal picked up food from the Korean restaurant, Bab. 

IMG_5808.thumb.jpeg.e69deb367982deb9d78052373dbddde6.jpeg

She had soup but I'm not sure I recall the name of it. There is also rice and some panchan. 

IMG_3129.thumb.jpeg.8b28deac5077fd1efb23bb20f7532526.jpeg

I had Gyoza soup which really hit the spot and of course the panchan. 

IMG_3130.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to have been remiss about posting last week's lunch. We had barbeque pork from Supreme Barbeque on Cannon Street in Hamilton. 

IMG_5838.thumb.jpeg.9bb82701015ad6d59ad9a603722b7ffb.jpegIMG_3135.thumb.jpeg.a2056737d3081a87b11ade7628c37a50.jpeg

simple but so good.   

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I seem to have been remiss about posting last week's lunch. We had barbeque pork from Supreme Barbeque on Cannon Street in Hamilton. 

IMG_5838.thumb.jpeg.9bb82701015ad6d59ad9a603722b7ffb.jpegIMG_3135.thumb.jpeg.a2056737d3081a87b11ade7628c37a50.jpeg

simple but so good.   

My vision sucks but am I seeing wonderful crispy skin on those chunks? If so - NICE.

• Like 2

I was not up for much today so Kerry chose the restaurant, Mystic Ramen in Hamilton. And what a great choice it was.

Unconventional and non-traditional but delicious Ramen.

IMG_3147.thumb.jpeg.84e576d0ed56197a3ab959c68f1417a6.jpeg

Mine: Wontonmen (chicken chintan (clear broth)  with shoyu tare  topped with shrimp and pork wontons, pork belly and scallions) with extra bok choy, bean sprouts, egg. On the side wafu broccoli and chicken karaage. 

IMG_5844.thumb.jpeg.69aa1daba86c492557aa167302b7c75d.jpeg

Kerry's: 

Lemon pickle Paitan

Our signature tori paitan broth seasoned with a smoked shio tare, topped with roasted chicken, arugula, scallions, pickled shiitake mushrooms, pickled ginger, a carrot flower and lemon pickle. Sprinkled with sesame seeds. This beauty is reminiscent of a tandoori oven. This ain’t your classic bowl of ramen, but it sure is a great one. To be really unconventional Kerry asked for the ramen noodles to be replaced with cabbage!

• Like 6
  • Delicious 4

My 2004 eG Blog

42 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I was not up for much today so Kerry chose the restaurant, Mystic Ramen in Hamilton. And what a great choice it was.

Unconventional and non-traditional but delicious Ramen.

IMG_3147.thumb.jpeg.84e576d0ed56197a3ab959c68f1417a6.jpeg

Mine: Wontonmen (chicken chintan (clear broth)  with shoyu tare  topped with shrimp and pork wontons, pork belly and scallions) with extra bok choy, bean sprouts, egg. On the side wafu broccoli and chicken karaage. 

IMG_5844.thumb.jpeg.69aa1daba86c492557aa167302b7c75d.jpeg

Kerry's: 

Lemon pickle Paitan

Our signature tori paitan broth seasoned with a smoked shio tare, topped with roasted chicken, arugula, scallions, pickled shiitake mushrooms, pickled ginger, a carrot flower and lemon pickle. Sprinkled with sesame seeds. This beauty is reminiscent of a tandoori oven. This ain’t your classic bowl of ramen, but it sure is a great one. To be really unconventional Kerry asked for the ramen noodles to be replaced with cabbage!

Actually mine was Tokyo Shoyu Ramen

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Actually mine was Tokyo Shoyu Ramen

Oh well. You mentioned the other one when you were discussing it so I jumped to a conclusion. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

21 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Oh well. You mentioned the other one when you were discussing it so I jumped to a conclusion. 

I did - it looked intriguing - but then reverted to form.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

This was a midweek lunch from a couple of weeks ago. Bahn mi from MacQueens in Hamilton. Saigon special for me and a Meatball one for Kerry.  IMG_5861.thumb.jpeg.36bfac31cdccd2ec5ca453871a7de305.jpeg

IMG_5862.thumb.jpeg.cfb62c729b313c0a5f0620fc8a077033.jpeg

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog