• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)

FrogPrincesse

12 hours ago, YvetteMT said:

The carrots however-184 for an hour- nearly the worst carrots I've ever made.  They were still crunchy with the exception of 2 measly carrots.  I dunno what the malfunction was but they were horrible. 

Yeah, I've had that happen.  190F SV for about 2 hours is my default now for carrots and potatoes.   I rarely do root veg in sous vide unless I already have the water in use for protein.  I do the protein first and then boost the temp and cook the root veg.  I also always add a lot of  butter to the pouch so the seasonings float around the veg.  More butter is more better.

Otherwise, I just steam the carrots.  Either way is fine for me.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

Yeah, I've had that happen.  190F SV for about 2 hours is my default now for carrots and potatoes.   I rarely do root veg in sous vide unless I already have the water in use for protein.  I do the protein first and then boost the temp and cook the root veg.  I also always add a lot of  butter to the pouch so the seasonings float around the veg.  More butter is more better.

Otherwise, I just steam the carrots.  Either way is fine for me.

Pectin softens at around 185F.  When I'm testing a potato for doneness I look for 190F.

• Like 3