• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unexpected Food Gifts

liuzhou

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

My SIL grows all her vegetables, including heirloom tomatoes which she grows from seed saved from the previous year.   I'm going to see if I can snag a plant and try to grow it in our apartment.  We face west so lots of light.

If growing indoors, you will probably need a plant light in addition to the window.  I was in a southern facing window on the 21st floor (nothing blocking the sun) but the light was necessary.  I used an 18/6 light cycle - heirloom tomatoes don't use the light timing to start flowering - they basically start flowering pretty soon, although I plucked the flowers until the plant made it's third truss of branches. Tomato plants need a LOT of light to fruit successfully.  Also, indoors, you'll have to manually pollinate the flowers - I used an electric toothbrush.  Vibrate the flower truss until you see the pollen falling out like snow.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

I just took delivery of some seafood I ordered. Included was this

IMG_20240311_105612.thumb.jpg.058e4459add2fcec19be31a858f738f2.jpg

The essentials for the Chinese kitchen. Garlic, ginger, chilli, Chinese chives and coriander leaf/cilantro. Plus two eggs. Unordered and uncharged-for.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I was getting a propane bottle filled, and a gentleman pulled up with one of his own to be filled. While he waited his turn, he offered me 2 huge heads of lettuce! He also had a bag of 5, already planned, for the propane salesman. They were beautiful, plump heads of iceberg. From his own garden? From some farmer's field that this gentleman picks? From the box I spotted along the freeway the next day, having apparently fallen off a truck? i don't know. I didn't care; they were freely offered and accepted, and they were beautiful.

Alas, they're still sitting in the refrigerator. It's been a hectic few weeks. I hope I can figure out ways to put them to good use in a few more days.

• Like 6

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

44 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I was getting a propane bottle filled, and a gentleman pulled up with one of his own to be filled. While he waited his turn, he offered me 2 huge heads of lettuce! He also had a bag of 5, already planned, for the propane salesman. They were beautiful, plump heads of iceberg. From his own garden? From some farmer's field that this gentleman picks? From the box I spotted along the freeway the next day, having apparently fallen off a truck? i don't know. I didn't care; they were freely offered and accepted, and they were beautiful.

Alas, they're still sitting in the refrigerator. It's been a hectic few weeks. I hope I can figure out ways to put them to good use in a few more days.

I see a classic wedge salad in your future!

• Like 2

@Smithy, I was looking for cabbage last night, to put in a casserole of tomato chutney (made with dehydrated tomatoes, apple, raisins, etc) with thin slices of russet potatoes, onions, and cheese.

Not finding any cabbage, I sliced up half an iceberg. Which worked really well!

• Like 3

I think I can squeeze this in here.  I ordered a case of 24 bottles x 555ml of drinking water. Plus 250g of pistachios.

IMG_20240312_220247_edit_41507462959290.thumb.jpg.25c5ca48094dc530f62dda8df68efeb4.jpg

Screenshot_20240312_220119_com.sankuai.meituan_edit_41223179711417.thumb.jpg.9c1808db2e76ec83a78d1d0bd3d98417.jpg

For some reason they included something they've never done before in the four years I've been ordering my water from the same supplier.  A flower to decorate my dinner table. 

IMG_20240312_194946_edit_33811985680777.thumb.jpg.68acbfdeb3971dcb826322821495d19d.jpg

For the first time in decades, I eat with a floral centrepiece on my table.

IMG_20240312_214303_edit_40144904449602.thumb.jpg.9f95778333ac969837c7946c79067c36.jpg

• Like 10

An acquaintance that I met a few years ago in a canning class has stayed in touch via Facebook. She saw that I've been having a hard time with my husband's care and sent me this. So thoughtful! Really made my day.

IMG_6639.jpeg

Edited by Maison Rustique
fix typos (log)
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2024 at 5:36 PM, Kerala said:

PXL_20240328_201732068.thumb.jpg.70420923e954d23eac9f110fb3d3cc5e.jpg

One of my trainees gave me these today at the end of her 6 month rotation in General Practice.

Hardly exceptional items, but in my opinion, she ain't wrong about their worthiness!

• Like 2

Having only recently moved, I don't really know my new neighbours but today I met one in the elevator who handed me a pineapple, saying "I have too many! Please enjoy." Well. she actually said "我有太多了。请尽情享受吧!", which comes to the same thing. I accepted and fully intend, too. How my neighbour came to have excess pineapples, I chose not to ask.

pineapple.thumb.jpg.d96c4115500a3e23df364852e81b93e8.jpg

It's not quite ready. but there's no hurry.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, TdeV said:

What options are you contemplating for that pineapple, @liuzhou ?

I haven't really thought about it. I'm not a big fan of pineapple in savoury situations apart from fried rice, so I guess some will go there. Some will be eaten as is.

Always open to suggestions, though.

• Delicious 1