• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Combi oven for home use

pmilas

HI guys,

I'm here for a bit of advice. We are building a house (in Croatia, Europe), and finally have a chance to build a kitchen as i want it :)

We would like to get a professional combi oven, something like this new Rational (a bit pricey) or this UNOX (better price) so that we have a long term solution for our needs.

The reason we are going for the professional oven is that, for example UNOX, is cheaper than "home combi ovens" from brands like Miele, Gaggenau, etc. and are much better than those.

Does anyone have any experience with pro combis at home? i have only seen a couple of people, at least on the internet, that have them at home. I guess that setup would not be a problem, because we designed a water inlet and outlet for the oven, and the voltage is OK. is there anything we didnt think of? Will that oven have higher maintananace cost, even if its used only couple of days a week?

Thanks for help

P

The installation of an industrial combi oven in a domestic home is very nice - I have one in my home for professional baking. But then I have another two for domestic use. The industrial or professional ovens do have a few pitfalls, other than size. Most of them chew power and are very high consumption items. Look at the wattage of the units you have been viewing and compare them to a high-end domestic oven. Also, when I purchased my oven a few years ago, the literature said it was a 230vac 50Hz unit. What they did not publish was that I needed 3 phase power. It cost me a fortune to get three phase installed in my home. My monthly electricity bills are around three times higher than prior to the installation.

But the product that comes out of the oven is pretty good - far better than I could ever get out of my domestic ovens. However, it took a long time for me to be able to adjust my recipes, baking times and temperatures to get the results. I have seldom baked breads in my oven, but am now starting to - I am busy building a proving chamber at the moment to compliment the oven for bread baking.

John.

• Like 2

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

Jo, I answer with a question: Can you bake 16 off 9 inch tarts or cakes in your cuisinart steam oven at a time? Only larger industrial ovens can handle the capacity I need. By the way, I am not the OP - I was just throwing a few pointers in for the OP.

John.

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

2 hours ago, JohnT said:

Jo, I answer with a question: Can you bake 16 off 9 inch tarts or cakes in your cuisinart steam oven at a time? Only larger industrial ovens can handle the capacity I need. By the way, I am not the OP - I was just throwing a few pointers in for the OP.

John.

OK, buy a few Cuisinart steam ovens.  Sixteen Cuisinart steam ovens are probably still cheaper.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

xD I can just imagine the wall of little ovens - and then trying to figure out when one goes "ping", which one it was. I doubt it would cost less but the electricity bill would sure kill off any profit!.

• Like 1

look to PedroG

the other " home " ovens you've mentioned are relatively very expensive and unusually small for the price.

two of the Electrolux which is almost a full sized ' home ' oven are probably even cheaper than the 

Miele, Gaggenau.

best of luck.  you are on the right path !

• 9 months later...

For me , Id greatly enjoy a very well made induction top

over a Combi-oven   equally well made 

30 " would be fine as that's the slot I have in my kitchen 

and Im a bit allergic to Contractors.

on the way to Trader Joes  there is this store :

https://www.yaleappliance.com

it has the highest end stuff that's not just commercial

no Rational Combi's  ...

but they do have those $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$  French stoves that cost about 60 K

for an additional , maybe 10 K you could get the enamel on the doors to match your favorite shirt

suprise.gif.5dbfeb2693f270e6ed929a3d71fa9c7e.gif

of course  I might have made up that last bit ....

La Cornue

http://lacornueusa.com/home

anyway  I stopped by the other day to see if Combi-ovens had made any progress

Miele has a 30 " induction top range w an electric oven that you can plumb in

for steam assist baking  ie bread

very well made I think by looking at it

but no Combi-oven

so I asked about this

Miele is coming out soon with a larger combi wall unit that's 20 "

I asked why they dont just meke the Steam-assit oven 

a combi unit ?

the sale person may or may have not known  

but they thought that Miele might take that rage and make it fully Combi in one to two years

Ill never understand why these very high end appliance makeres

just don't bit the bullit and do it now

60 K for a a gas oven ? that's well out of date for cooking ?

hope anyone that buy this

has a prefoeesional chef in residence 

or really good take out.

anyone that spends that kind of money has no idea how to cook.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2