Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rational Combi Ovens


ducphat30
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 5 years later...

Just resurrecting this old topic. 
 

how have the last few years been with the Rational?

 

I used one while on holiday in Italy a couple of years ago and was blown away. Would love to get one if/when we ever move house again. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

since it does not cool anything, basically according to thou-wilt-die safety twits, one is limited to "loading up" the device to maximum two hours prior to cooking.

 

if one is able to control / act / modify one's behavior prior to two hours+cook time before eating, might work.

 

seems similar to the gadget that read the item's bar code to know how to cook it.  20,000+ bar codes in the US grocery store, bar codes recognized:  3,000.  didn't fly very high or far . . . .

Edited by AlaMoi (log)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve been living with and loving my rational oven for a few years now.   We use it on a daily basis we stay on top of the cleaning and we have not had one service call.   That’s an amazing piece of German engineering at its finest.   Very easy to live with I’m getting more into steam all the time because it’s just so easy.   Once you have steamed shrimp when they are perfectly plumb and tender it’s hard to go back.

 

we have not needed any service or technical support but every once in a while I do have a question on how to cook something and the Rational Chef Line works great.

 

As we age it’s hard to imagine moving to any place I couldn’t put a new one in.   Why new one?  Because I like the LED lights down the side of the cooking chamber I’m not sure if there’s any other meaningful differences.

Edited by MikeMac
Typo’s (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Mike Macdonald Calgary

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rational Is the full meal deal they make a series of “carts”  that not only puts the unit at the correct height for safe use but also hold the necessary pans. And allows you to move it around pretty easily for cleaning etc.

 

I have accumulated quite a collection of pans.   I have additional storage in the garage 4 pans.

 

In addition I am very popular around Christmas or other holidays because holiday baking with 10 racks is very quick and the rational does a great job.

 

 

  • Like 4

Mike Macdonald Calgary

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MikeMac said:

Rational Is the full meal deal they make a series of “carts”  that not only puts the unit at the correct height for safe use but also hold the necessary pans. And allows you to move it around pretty easily for cleaning etc

 

 

can you set each rack in the oven at a different temp for holding? (... or did I dream that capability)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No it’s one temperature  - one cooking Cabinet but the oven has a feature that allows it to cook multiple things at once for example breakfast I can do the bacon eggs  pancakes and toast all at the same time on different shelves with different times.

 

And I get crispy toast

Edited by MikeMac
Typo’s (log)
  • Thanks 3

Mike Macdonald Calgary

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, MikeMac said:

No it’s one temperature  - one cooking Cabinet but the oven has a feature that allows it to cook multiple things at once for example breakfast I can do the bacon eggs  pancakes and toast all at the same time on different shelves with different times.

 

And I get crispy toast

 

One could do that with a conventional oven, no?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@MikeMac this is great to hear. Glad it’s working out so well… I’m really getting sold on this idea. Hope you don’t mind me picking your brains some more:

 

what have been your big wins? Like what food have you cooked that’s really improved on your previous normal ovens?


anything you’d have done differently? Model choice, location, ventilation?

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was asked what I would change about my rational install 

 

Not much - Something that took a long time to figure out what is the amount of ventilation you need do not cheap out on the ventilation you will have a kitchen full of steam or smoke great smelling smoke but not a good thing.

 

My biggest win would be braises mix everything up the day before toss it in the oven let it cook overnight and simply reheat to serve unbelievable so simple and so good the other thing that the oven does incredibly well is salmon there was a setting in mine  called crispy salmon designed by the Canadian head Rational chef Kevin - Amazing.

 

Steaming seafood with vegetables is another huge win as long as you’re careful and don’t over cook it’s great clean food very much wife approved.   Braising It’s not her preferred cooking method due to the calories but she loves anything I do steamed with vegetables.

 

Happy wife - chance of a happy life.   This seems to of worked for us for the last 30 years.

Edited by MikeMac (log)
  • Thanks 2

Mike Macdonald Calgary

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, MikeMac said:

I was asked what I would change about my rational install 

 

Not much - Something that took a long time to figure out what is the amount of ventilation you need do not cheap out on the ventilation you will have a kitchen full of steam or smoke great smelling smoke but not a good thing.

 

My biggest win would be braises mix everything up the day before toss it in the oven let it cook overnight and simply reheat to serve unbelievable so simple and so good the other thing that the oven does incredibly well is salmon there was a setting in mine  called crispy salmon designed by the Canadian head Rational chef Kevin - Amazing.

 

Steaming seafood with vegetables is another huge win as long as you’re careful and don’t over cook it’s great clean food very much wife approved.   Braising It’s not her preferred cooking method due to the calories but she loves anything I do steamed with vegetables.

 

Happy wife - chance of a happy life.   This seems to of worked for us for the last 30 years.

 

Could you kindly share the temperature and humidity for your overnight braise?  And what exactly were you braising?

 

  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/3/2021 at 12:36 PM, AAQuesada said:

I use Combi's professionally and don't think there is a 'killer app' for one. Really they are great because they do whole a lot of things 10% better, easier & more efficient & repeatable. 

 

On 6/2/2021 at 6:38 PM, MikeMac said:

Great question let me think about it. 

 

Mike Macdonald Calgary

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Overnight braise any type of beef with lots of connective tissue works best never tried fish Pork and chicken do better same day.  I am not sure of Temperatures or humidity level used as it’s all automatic.   Rational has a computer and sensors you can depend on.

  • Thanks 2

Mike Macdonald Calgary

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, MikeMac said:

Overnight braise any type of beef with lots of connective tissue works best never tried fish Pork and chicken do better same day.  I am not sure of Temperatures or humidity level used as it’s all automatic.   Rational has a computer and sensors you can depend on.

 

The oven doesn't tell you at what temperature it is cooking?

 

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 9 months later...
On 6/5/2021 at 6:27 AM, MikeMac said:

Overnight braise any type of beef with lots of connective tissue works best never tried fish Pork and chicken do better same day.  I am not sure of Temperatures or humidity level used as it’s all automatic.   Rational has a computer and sensors you can depend on.


Hi Mike,

Hope you're still around these forums. I see you are in Calgary; me too. Just curious who your local dealer was? I'm thinking about getting a rational when I buy a new place (still a few years down the road) and it would be great to work with someone who's had experience installing one in a residential kitchen. 

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

https://www.sizzleandsear.com/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...