Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tere

Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping (Part 3)

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I found this large-logo Griswold #7 for $5.00.  The seasoning is in great shape.  I'll need to find a home for it.  I need another CI pan like I need another knife.

 

That's a great price.  I tend to see the CI skillets priced very high, even when they're all rusty.  Nice score!

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

 

That's a great price.  I tend to see the CI skillets priced very high, even when they're all rusty.  Nice score!

 

 

Definitely!  I see old rusty ones at Vets (Long Beach Flea Market - HUGE) for way way more. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Porthos said:

I found this large-logo Griswold #7 for $5.00.  The seasoning is in great shape.  I'll need to find a home for it.  I need another CI pan like I need another knife.

 

 

Griswold_7.jpg

 

I could offer $30 (and would be willing to) for that one, and it would  barely cover shipping to my neck of woods.... ^_^ You guys have it so lucky with such cookware. :D OTOH in my neck of woods we're happy with excellent quality sheet steel pots from neighbouring country (Slovenia)-can't go wrong with those for sauteeing, stewing dishes in those EMO Eterna dishes...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Wolf

 

and honest person , or beast

 

please post more if you can

 

w pics 

 

if you can

 

from your region 

 

thanks

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today @Kerry Beal and I wandered into a thrift store. We haven’t done this in ages. I picked up and put down  many, many interesting bowls and plates.  But this one I simply could not leave behind:

 

4147AE47-6999-478A-BE33-E1B574EFC97A.thumb.jpeg.2c9bbe4f51085879fb5e4872a0188d0f.jpeg

 

 

  • Like 19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A small cast iron pot and two pasta cutters for 5 dollars.  I have never seen cast iron made in Holland.  

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy”

 

56D2170E-BC2B-4524-B995-D360F4D2B252.thumb.jpeg.b89743a6dc221390bb908119ea2869d6.jpeg

49B0F1AC-6133-43C2-8FBF-D299CB66E2C6.thumb.jpeg.42579cc7c88592dcf3007affda9b29ce.jpeg

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have several enameled cast iron cooking vessels made by Diepenbrock & Reigers of Ulft, Holland.

Most are blue but I have a couple that are yellow with the "Tulip" design.

They began producing these in the 1930s and continued production to about 1965.

Meanwhile Descoware (Originally Bruxellesware (? spelling) made in Belgium was expanding and the experienced enamel workers migrated to Belgium and worked for Descoware after Diepenbrock & Reigers of Ulft shut down.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, chefmd said:

A small cast iron pot and two pasta cutters for 5 dollars.  I have never seen cast iron made in Holland.  

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy”

 

56D2170E-BC2B-4524-B995-D360F4D2B252.thumb.jpeg.b89743a6dc221390bb908119ea2869d6.jpeg

49B0F1AC-6133-43C2-8FBF-D299CB66E2C6.thumb.jpeg.42579cc7c88592dcf3007affda9b29ce.jpeg

I recognize that - my mom had that same pot - trying to recall what she made in it - I think it might have been scalloped potatoes.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chefmd said:

A small cast iron pot and two pasta cutters for 5 dollars.  I have never seen cast iron made in Holland.  

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy”

 

56D2170E-BC2B-4524-B995-D360F4D2B252.thumb.jpeg.b89743a6dc221390bb908119ea2869d6.jpeg

49B0F1AC-6133-43C2-8FBF-D299CB66E2C6.thumb.jpeg.42579cc7c88592dcf3007affda9b29ce.jpeg

Can I go thrift shopping with you? You’ve been finding some amazing stuff. Or maybe tell me which stores you’re visiting. I have a small enameled yellow pot made by the same manufacturer and it originally belonged to my oma/grandmother. 🙂

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a photo of my Diepenbrock & Reigers (DRU) pot. It is yellow but it does not have the tulip, just the "leaves". I wonder if mine is newer or older than the one @chefmd found.

1675244869_collage-yellowpot.thumb.jpg.7779a414497ebfb761a0e8c762eed321.jpg

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had someone comment on my having good thrift stores to go shopping in.  I live in a city that is in the top 20 for population in California and thrift shopping one day a week has been a hobby of mine for many years now. Around home I cover the western part of San Bernardino County. I have reason to be in northern Orange County frequently and so I also thrift shop that area when I'm there. I probably average a little less than one item to buy a week, but with the frequency that I shopping and the millions of people living in southern California I do strike gold a couple of times a year.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, chefmd said:

I have never seen cast iron made in Holland.

 

Umm, you've never heard of a Dutch oven?  ;)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, andiesenji said:

I have several enameled cast iron cooking vessels made by Diepenbrock & Reigers of Ulft, Holland.

Most are blue but I have a couple that are yellow with the "Tulip" design.

They began producing these in the 1930s and continued production to about 1965.

Meanwhile Descoware (Originally Bruxellesware (? spelling) made in Belgium was expanding and the experienced enamel workers migrated to Belgium and worked for Descoware after Diepenbrock & Reigers of Ulft shut down.

 

 

DRU did not shut down.  They've been in continuous operation since 1754, when 22-year-old Major George Washington was gearing up for the French and Indian wars.  But you are correct that DRU produced enameled cast iron from the 1930s to the 1960s.

 

Andie, do you have (or have you seen) any of the 1920s American ECI produced by Griswold, Wagner, Favorite, Lodge, Birmingham Stove & Range Co, Vollrath, or others? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, boilsover said:

 

Umm, you've never heard of a Dutch oven?  ;)

Thank you for pointing it out.  Your comment sent me down the rabbit hole reading about Dutch oven (apparently only called so in the US), where the name came from (Dutch method of making brass pots), DRU products, etc.  That's why I love eGullet!

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_oven

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, curls said:

Can I go thrift shopping with you? You’ve been finding some amazing stuff. Or maybe tell me which stores you’re visiting. I have a small enameled yellow pot made by the same manufacturer and it originally belonged to my oma/grandmother. 🙂

@curls of course you can go thrifting with me!  We have a beach house in Chesapeake Beach.  This is how my Saturday goes after working looooong hours Mon-Fri.  6 AM leaving Arlington. 7 AM arriving to beach house and unpacking whatever food I brought with me.  7:15 meditation with next door neighbors who have Alice in Wonderland style garden complete with three peacocks (one boy and two girls).  I never thought that meditation was for me but now I crave it like you will not believe.  8 AM breakfast.  8:30 walk on the beach, rain or shine.  Come back, cook lunch by noon.  And, finally, thrifting in Prince Frederick after lunch.  They have four stores there, I can go to one or all depending on how much distressing is needed.  Buying something or not is not the point.  Going to the local butcher shop Nick's is the final and the most pleasant stop of my trip.  They have lovely meat, poultry, fish that are priced lower than a chain grocery store.http://www.nicksofcalvert.com/specials.html    Come back to beach house, unpack, have a small drink, contemplate dinner.  You can join me any Saturday for any or all of the above activities.  And other eGulleters are welcome as well.  Stay for dinner too!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, boilsover said:

 

DRU did not shut down.  They've been in continuous operation since 1754, when 22-year-old Major George Washington was gearing up for the French and Indian wars.  But you are correct that DRU produced enameled cast iron from the 1930s to the 1960s.

 

Andie, do you have (or have you seen) any of the 1920s American ECI produced by Griswold, Wagner, Favorite, Lodge, Birmingham Stove & Range Co, Vollrath, or others? 

I have had several Griswold enameled CI pieces but sold them several years ago before I retired, to a collector who was also a patient.  I had 4 red skillets, 6 of the large blue "gratin/fish bakers" and a small dutch oven that was an odd greenish-gray color, inside was cream colored.  I have a Prizer-ware on ebay now.   Years ago I had a couple of odd ones, a chocolate brown  BSR that I gave to my step-daughter in the '80s while I was preparing to move.  I vaguely remember a large skillet that was blue with white speckles - like granite ware but was cast iron.  I'm pretty sure I traded that one for some Griswold with the Cast Iron guy at the Rose Bowl swap meet.  

 

This is the Prizer-ware

Beautiful turquoise Prizer-Ware long baker or "gratin" Difficult to read "Prizer-Ware" on the bottom, impossible to photo.  14" long x 5" wide at the widest point.  There is one tiny "chip" on one upper edge.  
This was made in the 1950s  by Prizer-Painter, Reading, PA 

1655743112_HPIM1854copy.thumb.jpg.19e5e7d07cfd6dcf268f5f04d279119c.jpg


Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chefmd said:

@curls of course you can go thrifting with me!  We have a beach house in Chesapeake Beach.  This is how my Saturday goes after working looooong hours Mon-Fri.  6 AM leaving Arlington. 7 AM arriving to beach house and unpacking whatever food I brought with me.  7:15 meditation with next door neighbors who have Alice in Wonderland style garden complete with three peacocks (one boy and two girls).  I never thought that meditation was for me but now I crave it like you will not believe.  8 AM breakfast.  8:30 walk on the beach, rain or shine.  Come back, cook lunch by noon.  And, finally, thrifting in Prince Frederick after lunch.  They have four stores there, I can go to one or all depending on how much distressing is needed.  Buying something or not is not the point.  Going to the local butcher shop Nick's is the final and the most pleasant stop of my trip.  They have lovely meat, poultry, fish that are priced lower than a chain grocery store.http://www.nicksofcalvert.com/specials.html    Come back to beach house, unpack, have a small drink, contemplate dinner.  You can join me any Saturday for any or all of the above activities.  And other eGulleters are welcome as well.  Stay for dinner too!

@chefmd that sounds wonderful! Will have to wait until after the Easter chocolate production but maybe another eGulleter will join you before then. Happy thrifting! Nick's of Calvert looks like a wonderful place to shop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, chefmd said:

Thank you for pointing it out.  Your comment sent me down the rabbit hole reading about Dutch oven (apparently only called so in the US), where the name came from (Dutch method of making brass pots), DRU products, etc.  That's why I love eGullet!

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_oven

 

In this matter, Wiki is not the final authority, I'm sorry to say.  There is much uncertainty.  I believe lidded cast iron pots were imported into Great Britain from Holland before Darby visited to "borrow" the technology.  So it may not be the particular sand-casting process that is the term's origin, but rather the country which first put them into trade. 

 

If you really want to research the name, you might locate a copy of "Dutch Ovens Chronicled, Their Use in the United States" by John G. Ragsdale, published by the University of Arkansas Press.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, andiesenji said:

I have had several Griswold enameled CI pieces but sold them several years ago before I retired, to a collector who was also a patient.  I had 4 red skillets, 6 of the large blue "gratin/fish bakers" and a small dutch oven that was an odd greenish-gray color, inside was cream colored.  I have a Prizer-ware on ebay now.   Years ago I had a couple of odd ones, a chocolate brown  BSR that I gave to my step-daughter in the '80s while I was preparing to move.  I vaguely remember a large skillet that was blue with white speckles - like granite ware but was cast iron.  I'm pretty sure I traded that one for some Griswold with the Cast Iron guy at the Rose Bowl swap meet.  

 

This is the Prizer-ware

Beautiful turquoise Prizer-Ware long baker or "gratin" Difficult to read "Prizer-Ware" on the bottom, impossible to photo.  14" long x 5" wide at the widest point.  There is one tiny "chip" on one upper edge.  
This was made in the 1950s  by Prizer-Painter, Reading, PA 

1655743112_HPIM1854copy.thumb.jpg.19e5e7d07cfd6dcf268f5f04d279119c.jpg

 

 

Andie:

 

  Sorry, but can you please clarify?  Did you have (or have you seen) American ECI from the 1920s?  The reason I ask is DRU and Le Creuset seem to have started making ECI in the 1930s, which would be after they were first made here.

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, chefmd said:

@curls of course you can go thrifting with me!  We have a beach house in Chesapeake Beach.  This is how my Saturday goes after working looooong hours Mon-Fri.  6 AM leaving Arlington. 7 AM arriving to beach house and unpacking whatever food I brought with me.  7:15 meditation with next door neighbors who have Alice in Wonderland style garden complete with three peacocks (one boy and two girls).  I never thought that meditation was for me but now I crave it like you will not believe.  8 AM breakfast.  8:30 walk on the beach, rain or shine.  Come back, cook lunch by noon.  And, finally, thrifting in Prince Frederick after lunch.  They have four stores there, I can go to one or all depending on how much distressing is needed.  Buying something or not is not the point.  Going to the local butcher shop Nick's is the final and the most pleasant stop of my trip.  They have lovely meat, poultry, fish that are priced lower than a chain grocery store.http://www.nicksofcalvert.com/specials.html    Come back to beach house, unpack, have a small drink, contemplate dinner.  You can join me any Saturday for any or all of the above activities.  And other eGulleters are welcome as well.  Stay for dinner too!

I’m not that far away....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, andiesenji said:

I have had several Griswold enameled CI pieces but sold them several years ago before I retired, to a collector who was also a patient.  I had 4 red skillets, 6 of the large blue "gratin/fish bakers" and a small dutch oven that was an odd greenish-gray color, inside was cream colored.  I have a Prizer-ware on ebay now.   Years ago I had a couple of odd ones, a chocolate brown  BSR that I gave to my step-daughter in the '80s while I was preparing to move.  I vaguely remember a large skillet that was blue with white speckles - like granite ware but was cast iron.  I'm pretty sure I traded that one for some Griswold with the Cast Iron guy at the Rose Bowl swap meet.  

 

This is the Prizer-ware

Beautiful turquoise Prizer-Ware long baker or "gratin" Difficult to read "Prizer-Ware" on the bottom, impossible to photo.  14" long x 5" wide at the widest point.  There is one tiny "chip" on one upper edge.  
This was made in the 1950s  by Prizer-Painter, Reading, PA 

1655743112_HPIM1854copy.thumb.jpg.19e5e7d07cfd6dcf268f5f04d279119c.jpg

 

PrizerPainter I believe turned into the company that makes Blue Star stoves. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, boilsover said:

 

Andie:

 

  Sorry, but can you please clarify?  Did you have (or have you seen) American ECI from the 1920s?  The reason I ask is DRU and Le Creuset seem to have started making ECI in the 1930s, which would be after they were first made here.

 

Thanks!

The Griswold ECI I had were made in the 1920s.  They had been making nickel-plated skillets, griddles and some other pieces from the mid teens and discontinued those and found that the enamel was more resistant to scrubbing because the nickel plating could be worn off.  I sold a couple of those a couple of years ago and those were inherited from my grandmother, as were the enameled pieces.  

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, andiesenji said:

The Griswold ECI I had were made in the 1920s.  They had been making nickel-plated skillets, griddles and some other pieces from the mid teens and discontinued those and found that the enamel was more resistant to scrubbing because the nickel plating could be worn off.  I sold a couple of those a couple of years ago and those were inherited from my grandmother, as were the enameled pieces.  

 

 

Thanks, Andie!  So were any European makers doing ECI before the Americans? And did the finish of the Griswolds you had hold up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@curls I found something for you on my Saturday thrift adventure.  Let’s plan getting together for drinks or something.

2DB5E748-6EDB-4A28-B1B9-57B6E131E429.thumb.jpeg.5339f130086926f3cc55873d9580d3b6.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2019 at 10:24 PM, rotuts said:

@Wolf

 

and honest person , or beast

 

please post more if you can

 

w pics 

 

if you can

 

from your region 

 

thanks

 

Rotuts, sorry for the delay, but here's one of those... Store nearby had 20% off on enamelled cookware (and as luck would have it, today was my payday), so I couldn't help myself but to snatch a 9½" one... :$

 

 

Eterna1.jpg

Eterna2.jpg

Eterna3.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×