• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

5 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Is it possible to dilute the 16 oz. tubs say 1 part demi-glace to 1 part water and freeze that in ice cube trays?  @fledflew said uptrend he used a ratio of 1:4 but to save room I wonder if 1:1 or 1:2 might work.

It certainly is possible to dilute and freeze in the way you describe.  And when you try it with a few cubes, you'll find out if they release easily from the trays. 

On the other hand, if saving freezer space is the key concern, why not just leave it in the tub?

• Like 1

@ElsieD

if you can get the demi out of it'd container 

while Fz , why add all those extra steps ?

its easy to ' cut ' out  portion ,from Fz , on the small containers 

Ive been using a small amount that I put in a small pyrex dish w the smash of wine

I plan to use to deglaze my Fond-less .  I just put that aside and to reaches room temp before i use it.

I don't see why you can't micro ( to warm up ) the SAME AMOUT IF YOU DIDNT REMOVE THE FZ DEMI AHEAD OD TIME

then wisk jin the pan.  works for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

On the other hand, if saving freezer space is the key concern, why not just leave it in the tub?

Well, duh!  You are right about freezer space.  But I was also thinking that maybe with some liquid already added, it would be easier incorporate it into what I was making because it wouldn't be, for lack of a better word, as "blobby" hence requiring less whisking time.  I used some the other day and found it took a while before the MTG totally dissolved.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Well, duh!  You are right about freezer space.  But I was also thinking that maybe with some liquid already added, it would be easier incorporate it into what I was making because it wouldn't be, for lack of a better word, as "blobby" hence requiring less whisking time.  I used some the other day and found it took a while before the MTG totally dissolved.

That's true.  I usually either microwave or boil a little custard cup of water and let the blob sit in it to dissolve.  Usually takes a couple of minutes while I'm doing something else but if you need to add the blob directly to a pan, then it does indeed take more whisking. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

this is what Im going to use later today

for the pan sauce for a turkey burger 

small pyrex dish :

IMG_3593.thumb.jpg.b17551589b7ff10a47840ad25043e490.jpg

white wine ( Tj's coastal Chardonnay ) and a small slice , from the freezer ( small tub ) turkey demi.

I micro'd for 30 seconds.  then I let it sit.  the dish is warm , not super hot .  the demi splits up a bit

and Im sure if I mixed this w a fork it would almost completely incorporate. 

then it sits until I use it.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

That's true.  I usually either microwave or boil a little custard cup of water and let the blob sit in it to dissolve.  Usually takes a couple of minutes while I'm doing something else but if you need to add the blob directly to a pan, then it does indeed take more whisking. 

Thanks.  I'll just freeze my tubs, measure out what I need, add hot water to it and let it sit until it dissolves.  Problem solved.

• Like 1

this is a slice of ground turkey 

from the slab that comes in those plastic tubs  

I slice what I plan to use , and handle it as little as possible

season , then cooked/ browned in my 8 " non-stick fondless

I then added the above white wine + demi

reduced it a bit 

and poured over the slice of ground turkey.

took about 30 seconds 

then poured over the turkey :

IMG_3599.thumb.jpg.a6f55d60884eeaa86e192964318f12c4.jpg

came out very nice and very tasty .

• Like 7

@gfweb

if its not around in 6  months ,

even better 

no need to cancel.

don't need any more in 6 months 

cancel.

beginning to get the idea ?

Ill say no more.

• Haha 2

rib roast , an Easter sale , Stop & Shop :

thumbnail-3.thumb.jpg.96058d5fe29ba6743047d896c902edd7.jpg

Vac'd and possibly frozen  for future use by the WHPS  nice cap it seems

and the More than Gourmet turkey stock bucket:

thumbnail-2.thumb.jpg.de8bf6e54f1b4807d5c244a93ead0311.jpg

note the size relative to the yogurt container in the back.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Whole Foods has yellow (altulfo) mangoes on sale, with Prime they are 5 for $1. Yes, 20 cents each.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

1 hour ago, BeeZee said:

Whole Foods has yellow (altulfo) mangoes on sale, with Prime they are 5 for $1. Yes, 20 cents each.

And 5 for $5.56 w/o Prime

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

5 hours ago, Alex said:

And 5 for $5.56 w/o Prime

Based on an email I got from the Princeton store (more like $1/mango), I think the deal I got was specific to the Cherry Hill, NJ store. Lucky me, they must have been overstocked!

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde